no cd fix for mac games

Discussion in 'Games' started by trigga, Oct 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trigga macrumors newbie

i just got my mac G5 like 2 weeks ago and got some games while i was at it. but i cant find any no cd fixes for games. does any body know where i can find them?

2. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

3. trigga thread starter macrumors newbie

i bought them but i dont wanna have to dig out disks and get them scratched up. i tried making a .dmg but i still wouldnt work and some run without the cds.but its just a hassle to get them out and ware out the cd and dvd drive for no reason. any help would be appreciated.

4. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Just want to check, did you mount the .dmg after you made it? Mounting a .dmg has worked for the games I've tried, but I don't have many games, so it may still not work in all cases.

5. trigga thread starter macrumors newbie

i clicked on mount it in the menu but it didnt work.maybe im missing something?? also dont i have to keep the whole game on the mac for that to work? if so just seems like a waste of space because of games like baldurs gate its like 4 disks and that quite a space hog and i know you have to swap disks a you go so i dont know or think that would work, thats why i was thinking of no cd fixes or "cracks" i guess you could say.

6. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Listen mac cracks are very uncommon, the best thing you can do is get a program called toast and mount the .dmg with toast or convert the .dmg to .toast then mount it, it always works.

7. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Multi CD games only require one CD inserted to run, don't they? So you would only require an image of that CD mounted in the cases that .dmg mounting is sufficient.

8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Be warned - Doom3 (still dunno why Doom 4 is called Doom3, but hey) doesn't seem to work without a physical disk in the drive

9. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

It does, if you have a NoCD patch... There are a lot of NoCD patches for almost every game out there. If you want to find some, you can register here. But remember: only use them for games you paid for!

10. ajunger macrumors newbie

i'm trying to do the same thing. I own The sims 2, but I don't want to have to put in the disc everytime i play. I used disk utility to create a .dmg file, and then i just coppied the contents of the dvd into the .dmg I can mount it ok, and see all the contents, but when i try to play the game, it asks for the original CD. I've seen .dmg that work just like an exact copy of the games. Anyone know how I can do that, or what I'm doing wrong?

11. ajunger macrumors newbie

12. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Doom3 is called Doom3 because the number after 2 is...get this...3! And yeah, some games check for actual disks in the drive, and thus won't work with disk images. You'd have to hack them to remove the disk check.

--Eric

13. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

It's the 4th in the series, and they're all successive (no prequals, no side missions, etc). The thing that confused me the most is that it didn't care what disk was in, as long as it was a peice of circular plastic with a hole in the middle (found a nice [k] that fixes that, though)

14. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Doom3 is the third in the series...if you want to call it that, since it's a remake of Doom 1 rather than a continuation of the storyline of Doom 2. But if you're counting Final Doom, that wasn't by id, and was just an official mission pack (no new features or anything...granted the new features in Doom2 were pretty minimal). If you're counting official mission packs, then Quake 4 should be Quake 7. :)

Ha, that's pretty funny...I never really thought to try any random disk. Although by "funny" I mean "really annoying," since that obviously wouldn't stop piracy, and yet still inconveniences legitimate buyers. Grrr.

--Eric

15. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    No, you'd have to create a Disc Image and copy some of the contents over to it from the original disc, then modify the strings that tell the game that's being played that this particular image is the real disc image/piece of plastic..

16. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Yeah, modifying the game rather counts as hacking it, no?

--Eric

17. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Ah, k. I didn't know it was a remake. And I was under the impression that Ultimate Doom was an entirely separate game. Thanks :)

18. Spartacus macrumors member

Just copy the bugger

I always just make an exact copy onto a DVD and use the copied DVDs when I want to play the game. This avoids scratching the actual disk that you payed good money for.

I didn't think Mac games where ever cracked, thus I don't even try. Is there a good Mac resource for avoiding the disk check all together with a software crack?

19. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Oh, Ultimate Doom was just Doom 1 with an extra episode. Then Final Doom was two 3rd-party map packs. Man, all this Doom, it's depressing.... ;)

--Eric

20. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

As far as I know, No-CD cracks are illegal (reverse engineering of software) even if you own the game, and shouldn't be discussed here. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.