No-CD patches on Mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by jevel, Dec 25, 2003.

1. jevel macrumors regular

Does this exist?

On my PC laptop I used to play a couple of games while commuting, and I just hate being forced to remember to bring my CDs. I always leave the one I need @ home when I want to play! :(

The games I have are Newerwinter Nights with the PC addon done. (Shadows of Undrentide.), and Dungeon Siege.

-KJ

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Not needed with disk images

Just make a disk image of the game CD and mount that whenever you want to play the game. I do this, and it works wonders! Just make sure you make the disk image volume name the same as that of the CD you are imaging, and that the image is read-only (just like a real CD). That's what's worked for me.

3. jevel thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent! I actually tried making a image (*.dmg), but I never thought about disc name... :rolleyes:

I´ll give it a try when I get home to my CDs after christmas! :)

-KJ

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

they are out there, its just us mac users dont have the sites like gamecopyworld to easily get them, you have to do some hunting.

iJon

5. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Think you can walk me through the steps of doing this disk image thing?

6. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

making a disc image is better anyways IMO because often it increases performance of the game. unless you are hurting for HD space just do this :) (it also is a nice way of backing up cds too so if you lose yours you can just burn a new one.

7. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Whenever I try to make a image of my D2 CD it says "invalid argument."

8. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Some games are copy protected and this doesn't work (diablo 2 for instance). With other games it works like a charm (warcraft 3, civilization 3). Try Carbon Copy Cloner if diskcopy doesn't do the job. It probably will, but some games are protected. CCC is slow, but will probably do the job!

9. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

10. jevel thread starter macrumors regular

OK.

So I named the files with the same names as the disks, but no go.

But; I was fiddling around Toast 6 (Just got it after having it on backorder for a while...), and I found a "Mount Diskimage" option in there! This works as a charm for me! No more CDs cluttering my case... :)

-KJ

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Disk images

The important thing is that the MOUNTED disk image has the same name as the CD. Trouble is, you can't mount the disk image and the real CD at the same time (the volume names conflict). So what I do to guarantee that they have the same name is mount the CD, copy the CD's name into a TextEdit file, create the disk image, unmount the CD, mount the disk image, paste the name I copied earlier onto the mounted disk image's icon, and finally delete the temporary TextEdit file I created. Presto! It works, at least for me (with realMYST, the only game I have that is both Mac OS X native AND requires the CD to play).

12. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I just did it with both the Warcraft III and the expansion pack CDs, and it works!
    I created the images on a fast Firewire HD, and it loads several times faster on my TiBook.

Nice tip :D

13. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Also, for those of you who don't have burners, there's a solution to be had as well. This comes with the caveat that you should not be downloading from the site I am about to link unless you have a legal right to possess the material you're taking. As always, be responsible and don't violate fair use and copyright, please.

Here's a BitTorrent tracker that's mac-friendly.

There are a number of No-CD cracks on the tracker, and I've tried several of them. They all appear to be functional, from what I've seen.

14. Shekky_ca macrumors newbie

you got that wrong its OSX Friendly

15. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Unless I'm missing something, then what I said is correct. The tracker hosts Classic/OS9 files, as well.

16. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Please do not post any more links to that.

Even if its for backup purposes or No-CD cracks the moderators/arn do not want to take any heat in linking to a place as such.

(Listen to me, I go there) ;)

--MrMacMan

Some CD's have protection... DII for instance... WarIII you can do, Done with Starcraft and stuff...

17. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

My bad, then.

I'd delete it, but there appears to be a link in the quote below.