No CGI this time...Honda Commercial

Discussion in 'Community' started by Otto Rehhagel, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Otto Rehhagel macrumors regular

Otto Rehhagel

Here is another car commercial. It is for the Honda Accord. No CGI was used (at least thats what the creators say) Very creative. Very classic. :cool:

Honda Accord Commercial

ps: But once again, this commercial (known as the acura tsx in the US and only in sedan form) will not be seen in the US. Oh well. (yes, I realize now it is SO 2003)

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Are you kidding me, this is the best part or a year old (maybe more!!!). Certainly not breaking through in 2005 :rolleyes:

3. Otto Rehhagel thread starter macrumors regular

Otto Rehhagel

I had a feeling it was old... oh well. thanks to whoever sent it to me. shows how up-to-date I am. Has any other US resident seen this?

Sorry if it is a repost.

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

5. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

The only part that i found hard to believe at first was the engineers getting the tires to roll up the ramp and knock each other foward. You wouldn't expect them to have the momentum to do that.

Apparently, according to my marketing teacher who spoke with the group that did it, they placed weights inside the tires near their tops. When the tires were hit, the weight helped carry the tire foward so that it had the momentum to hit the next tire.

6. Otto Rehhagel thread starter macrumors regular

Otto Rehhagel

Woah, I thought you (Vector) were edesign. Nice avatar. I guess admiration of Keira is contagious.

I thought the same about the tires. I always like it when good old physics are used for special effects, than CGI.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes, I have seen this before. Think that I might have it saved as a QuickTime movie. It's very cool, a very advanced form of dominos. Go Honda.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I've still got the free DVD of it (as well as a making of feature) the Honda sent out in the UK sitting on a shelf. It was an amazing advert though.

9. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

I refuse to believe that ad is real (non CGI) and will spend the rest of my life searching out the truth! (tires do NOT roll up hill)...

(edit).. Okay, I take that back. Tires, when balanced with a weight at the top, can roll uphill once that weight is nudged to make the wheel turn.

FYI - 2 takes because the studio was not big enough to do it in 1. The seemless cut is after the exhaust box rolls off the screen (so they say, I don't see anything)..

So good it's nuts...

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Really? I wonder how my car got up the driveway this morning...

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If you weight them correctly I'm sure you can. Complete nightmare to get just right of course, but you know, persistence...

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Me too. Probably from the Guardian Weekend.

Apparently, it was combined from 2 successful takes... hard to spot the join, though.

Now if only Apple used a similarly creative approach to advertising their computers...

13. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I got the DVD too. Very cool advert!

14. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Really. I'm sure that the DVD said it was one take. I got my DVD by filling in a form on the Honda website.

15. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

These guys claim Honda's commercial is a rip-off of their own art installation...

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

And so what if it is? (not asking you, I mean in general).

17. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Exactly. Ideas can't be copywrited. Just thought it was a relevant link for relevant link's sake!

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

God knows where I heard otherwise or just imagined it...

Anyway, you're right...

Here's an article from The Telegraph about the making of it.

19. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

i had seen it before.. like a year ago.. i thought it was all CG tho.. 606 takes!!

20. iGav macrumors G3

But the expression of them can ;) and that's what caused the uproar within the creative and ad community at the time.

The Honda ad is IMHO an obvious rip of 'Der Lauf Der Dinge', shot for shot almost... and that's what caused the divided opinions. Of course 'Der Lauf Der Dinge' didn't invent nor was it the first to visually document cause and effect, one only need look at some of the old silent movies, Tom & Jerry, Wile E Coyote and Roadrunner or even the Mousetrap board game to see that it has been documented and expressed before.

But, the way in which it the Honda ad was expressed... minimal and bare studio, ambient soundtrack, flowing camera tracking is disturbingly similar to 'Der Lauf Der Ding' and a such it's difficult to appreciate and acknowledge the Honda ad for originality or creativity when it is obviously so similar in the way in which it expresses itself.

Personally I think it's a great ad, and has certainly raised an important topic of discussion between the Art and Advertising worlds.

To quote Charlotte Cotton a Curator at the V&A

21. iGav macrumors G3

No, it's 2 sequences joined together. Matt Gooden (Art Director for the ad) said that essentially it could have been done in one perfect take, but because of the limitations of the studio size they had to film it in 2 sections and join them together in post.

Also people, there was subtle use of CG and general post work, although not specifically in relation to the cause and effect sequence itself.

According to Barnsley from the Mill, they had to slow down the odd object here and there and generally smoothing out the rhythm of the sequence. As well as general highlight work to "make clear the the source of energy or passing on of a movement".

And a sequence involving a pneumatic pump was enlarged in post to make it easier to see how that specific sequence actually worked.

But the main cause and effect action is for all intents and purposes real, with minimal post production 'interference'.

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Aha!
    I had heard that this was so... but this article claims it was done in one take. More spin?

23. iGav macrumors G3

That article is wrong. There was a detailed interview and breakdown of the ad in Creative Review in 2003 with the Director, Creative Director, Art Director and the Post Production/Flame Operator explaining that it was filmed in 2 sequences and joined in post, but that essentially after all the testing and development it could have been done in 1 take, but the size limitations of the studio forced them to shoot it in 2 halves.

The person who wrote the Telegraph article probably thought it was shot in 1 sequence because the join is seamless.

It is however 2 sequences.

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Thought so, as I said earlier in the thread... and that's probably where I read it as Creative Review is one of the office magazine subscriptions.

Vindicated... :D