No Charges For Policemen in De Menezes Shooting

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Queso, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Queso macrumors G4

It looks as if a gun-toting free-for-all and deliberate destruction of evidence by the Metropolitan Police isn't regarded as a crime in the UK anymore. Nice to know that the police can shoot any one of us just for minding our own business, and they'll be no comeback against them.

Story from BBC News

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That was a foregone conclusion, no?

It seems as though it was a farce from beginning to end.

3. toontra macrumors 6502

Hang on a minute - the Met cops are going to be charged under the Health and Safety act! I wonder what the charges will be - lead poisoning perhaps?

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

unreal.

what of all the misrepresentation of facts when this first came to light? who was the the source of the stuff about running from the police and wires protruding from his jacket? sounded like a cover story to me -- is no one liable?

5. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

No, no-one appears to be liable. There was a police rep on the TV news this evening saying how the police marksmen received the news without jubilation, and how they would have to live with this decision for the rest of their lives, so they are paying the price even without being charged.

I'll remember that defence if ever I kill someone by hitting them with a speeding car. Apparently if you're sorry it's enough. No point wasting the court's time :mad:

6. toontra macrumors 6502

And again no public enquiry, as with the 7/7 bombings. Makes you wonder what would be worthy of a public enquiry (at a guess, anything that doesn't stand the slightest chance of embarrassing the government or it's lackeys).

7. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Sickening. The execution of an innocent man in public and the attempt to tarnish his name to cover up a monumental cock up are obviously not important enough.

8. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

To be perfectly honest, i do not think that the police should not be prosecuted. If you want somebody to be blamed, blame Ian Blair. The police were only doing their job. The shoot to kill policy they had to abide by and he was running away after being told to stop. I think the verdict is spot on but i may be misinformed of accurate findings.

9. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

At some point somebody gave the order that Jean-Charles De Menezes had to be taken out, despite the lack of suspicious behaviour or clothing bulky enough to hide any devices. He was an ordinary Londoner walking into a Tube station to catch a train to work, when a bunch of police burst into the carriage he was in and SHOT HIM DEAD. No warning. Just BANG, BANG, BANG, and a growing puddle of blood on the floor.

If you or I did this we would be up for Manslaughter at the very least. If we then proceeded to both lie about it and destroy/tamper with evidence, we would be up on even more serious charges and be locked away for the rest of our lives.

If the Police are above the law, then the law isn't worth the paper it's printed on. The fact that London was on high alert is not an excuse. London has dealt with terrorist threats for years and will remain to do so for the foreseeable future. Just think, next time you board a Tube, it could happen to you. It could happen to any of us unless the Met marksmen are aware that there are consequences to their mistakes. Before they pull that trigger, they have to be 100% sure there is a real threat.

Manslaughter or Murder. Whether Ian Blair, the guy in command of the operation, or the people that pull the trigger stand trial, somebody has to be held to account for an innocent man being brutally killed. Otherwise once the dust has settled, they'll do it again. Once again, because the police aren't thinking, someone innocent will die.

EDIT: In the middle of my rant there, I forgot the thing in your post that got me fired up. He wasn't running away. The Met made that bit up, probably a couple of minutes after they destroyed the CCTV tapes from the Tube station to try and cover their tracks. I think this decision stinks and I don't accept it.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

shouldn't the defence be, "i thought he was a suicide bomber"?

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG,

There were seven shots to the head. I recall someone at work rubbing their hands in glee when they heard someone had been shot on suspicion which sickened me since there didn't seem to be much evidence.

What upsets me most about this is the cover-up. The CCTV tapes not being available - two weeks after the July 7... yeah right! And the presumably false reports from 'eye-witnesses' that were circulated.

I did a :rolleyes: in real life when I heard the decision not to prosecute on the radio this morning.

The only good thing is that since they screwed up so royally, it's a good advert for not arming all police. It makes me a little uncomfortable at airports and mainline stations to see machine-gun toting policemen.

12. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

I'm not saying this in a malicious way but he was an illegal immigrant so therefore, he shouldn't have been in London in the first place. I think that this is one of the bits of truth and not one of the lies but in my opinion, he shouldn't have been there and if he wasn't there, he wouldn't have been shot.

13. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

So you think it's okay to shoot innocent people if they're only illegal immigrants? De Menezes had come into the UK on a valid work permit which had then expired. There will be tens of thousands in that position in London alone. Are they all fair game?

14. Lau Guest

Saying that and then coming out with something racist and insensitive doesn't make it not malicious, you know.

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    :eek: Nope... still doesn't justify having 7 bullets discharged into his skull. We don't have the death penalty for murder in this country - how can you justify him being shot merely for having an expired visa? He was still working and paying tax after all!