No Dashboard with 10.4.4

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by simon-says, Jan 10, 2006.

1. simon-says macrumors regular

Well I figured I shouldn't have updated to 10.4.4 but I did anyways. Now there is a few things broken and the main thing is Dashboard. It will not even begin to load or do anything. In fact if I press F12 which Dashboard is mapped to I just get a system beep. The system is the Powerbook in my sig.

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

This sounds unusual. I updated and everything's fine. Have you tried repairing permissions. Or did you have any 3rd party apps running that might muck things up?

3. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

A question

Did you have any external devices hooked up at the time of the update?

If so they can cause various issues whilst running the update.

:cool:

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^^this shouldnt cause a problem, i always have my shuffle, nano, ipod and external HD hooked up whiles im updating....try repairing permissions

Bless

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You've probably already done this but it's worth a mention. Have you checked to make sure the updates didn't re-map your F12 key in System Preferences? :)

6. simon-says thread starter macrumors regular

There was nothing running during the update, I closed everything out. The only non-Apple software I've ran has been Starcraft and Colloquy. I had no external devices hooked up at the time. I've checked System Preferences and it's still mapped to F12. Never had to repair permissions before, and I don't know where that's at.

7. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

try mapping it the a different key. try installing a new widget. Try opening widgets through the widget opener thing in the dock.

If these steps fail, then I would advocate eating some carrots and waiting for someone else to come up with a better idea. Don't say "what's up doc," though. That would be too cliche.

8. simon-says thread starter macrumors regular

It won't do anything if I map to another key, just the same thing. I've also tried to open it from /Applications/. Nothing. I can't figure this out. It's really making me mad.

9. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Download the 10.4.4 update from the apple website and run it again. see if that works

On a side not about external drives/devices plugged in. I had my iPod pluged in when i did the update and after the restart it refused to mount. I got the little spinning "do not disconnet" thing but nothing happened. I ended up pulling it out of the base station and doing a reset. Kinda scared me but everything is good now. Also it asked me to plug it into a wal outlet this time. The other updates never had me do that. Oh well, it is all working here.

Hope you get yours fixed

10. simon-says thread starter macrumors regular

Tried the 10.4.4 update from the Apple site and still nothing. From terminal it looks like I have permission to at least run it.

$ ls -al | grep "Dashboard"
    drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 Apr 28 2005 Dashboard.app

I've made duplicates and chmod'd them differently and nothing.

If I try to run a widget from my /Library/Widgets directory the dock crashes and restarts itself. Do you guys have any clue what to try next?

11. jenmarsh macrumors newbie

Have you tried deleting Dashboard's plist file?

Do a Spotlight search for "dashboard plist", mine found two:

/Users/name/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dashboard.plist

and

/Users/name/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dashboard.client.plist

12. simon-says thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I deleted both and I repaired permissions. Still nothing.

I was able to run Dashboard if I created another account, but I still can't get it to work on my account.