no desktop icons for mounted drives?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by unsped, Jul 28, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

am i missing something here, but if i plug in a thumb drive, external hdd, external cdrom they are mounted in the finder but i don't get a shortcut on the desktop. same thing with downloaded .dmg's

2. macrumors 68000

That is because the desktop you see isn't the desktop anymore, it is a space to open apps. Odd I know. There is a tool listing on OSXDaily that will show the desktop by defaul and any hidden files, which I like, or go to finder, then click "Desktop" on the left side bar to actually see your desktop and related items. But frankly, after doing that, I just removed my icons from my desktop and made my drives visible on the left side bar of finder.

3. macrumors 6502a

MacManiac76

Go into Finder -> Preferences and on the General tab make sure the options are checked for Hard Disks, External Disks, etc.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

@marc11 - even if i go to my user/desktop folder i don't see the mount icons
    @macmaniac76 - it would appear that lion doesn't have that option, at least my general pane doesn't show anything related to those items.

5. macrumors 65816

Patrick J

IT must. Open a Finder window. Now File, Preferences, and in the General tab (first one), there are 4 options. Tick/untick those.

Attached Files:

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

excellent thanks, sorry i thought people were saying general under system preferences. my icons are back!

7. macrumors newbie

Hello! I've got all this preferences checked - External disk drivers; CD ... & etc - but i don't have icons on a desktop. I've got latest updated LION OSX - what else may cause such problem?

8. macrumors 68030

Taz Mangus

Try resetting PRAM.

9. macrumors newbie

Tried! But that didn't solve the problem!
    Any other ideas?

10. macrumors member

Drives not mounting

I'm having the same issue as here ... has anyone else come across it?

I connected a new Time Capsule yesterday and their blue drive icons were coming up when I connected to them.

But now they won't come up. I can connect to the drives, but they don't mount on the desktop.

11. macrumors 65816

Simplicated

12. macrumors newbie

Seeing mounted drives

This was perfect! Thank you!