No destination volume?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by seh80, Jan 29, 2007.

1. seh80 macrumors 6502

seh80

I gave my G4 Mac Mini to my mother. Soon after, the HD died. I took it to an apple authorized repair center and had it replaced with apple care for free. They gave the system back with no OS on it.

Today I got a copy of Tiger and turned the computer on for the first time. I tried to install TIger from the disk, but when it gets to which volume I want to install it in, there are no options. I restarted several times and there is always nothing.

Could anyone help please? :confused:

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Start from the Install DVD/CD. Before clicking through the installer use the menus to start Disk Utility. Use it to "Delete" the harddrive to HFS+

You should now be able to install.

3. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Does the disk show up in 'disk utility'. You can access this from the menus when you've booted from the Tiger CD. It's possible the disk doesn't have a volume created on it, hence it won't show in the installer.

Easiest way to sort it out is probably to pick 'Erase' in disk utility. Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for the filesystem, give it a name then click erase. It will put one big partition oh the drive.

4. seh80 thread starter macrumors 6502

seh80

Tyr2 you were exactly right, and your solution worked flawlessly. My humble thanks!! :)

Robbieduncan, my thanks to you too!