No difference between Glossy and matte displays

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lexus, Jun 2, 2006.

1. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

There is officially no difference between Glossy and Matte displays except when they are off.

I know it is hard to understand but the color is the same!
    And both displays are sharp.

Does anyone else have a glossy and regular display side by side?

2. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

well i believe that they are just as sharp but the glossy one reflects a lot of things....even when on.

3. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I'm glad your opinion is officially official.

Anyway, there is a slight difference. It doesn't change colour as much as it just changes the general appearance. Matte finish looks more dull than the glossy (or at least that's the general sentiment).

4. Rickay726 macrumors 6502

Rickay726

being in the apple store playing on the macbooks, the glossy screen doesnt reflect as muhc as everone makes it out to be. in all honesty its not that bad.

5. jhipolito macrumors member

Unless the MB is different than the MBP, there is a difference with the saturation of colors. I have a pretty trained eye because of my work... That said I didn't go glossy :)

6. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

How big of a difference? Because I cannot see any difference.

7. Arbiter macrumors newbie

The screen is definitely glossy and you can see it, but is far less glossy than other screens I have seen. Does it reflect? yes.. is it really that bad? NO. Do you have problems under the sun? Yes, but so does the matte...

8. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

All I know is that the matte MacBook Pro is incredibly sharp and vivid compared to other screens that I've used.

I don't doubt that the differences between the colours are small between this new matte screens on the MBP and the glossy screens, at least in a dark room.

9. jhipolito macrumors member

Since I'm a designer, the color difference was big ... the saturation to ME was different; colors really stood out.. and as you'll read, black looks REALLY black.

Since I'm so picky about color correction and I've been doing this for so long, it's just a habit of mine :)

10. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I noticed this also when I was at an Apple Store. For being glossy, they really don't reflect that much light. Of course it might just be the lighting of the store. Using the screen in an office environment may be different. I will say, however, the MacBook's screen is no where near as reflective as some Compaq screens I have seen.

11. Jonan900 macrumors newbie

Difference

So is there any real reason as to why i would want a glossy display.

12. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

There is a noticeable difference between glossy and matte.
    The colour saturation and contrast is slightly higher on a glossy screen. Graphic professionals and photographers (and serious amateurs) always use a matte display... :)

13. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

++

The Glossy displays have an artificially higher contrast and color level. It is very similar to the way they setup TV's in an electronics store. Contrast and brightness are cranked up. Something about the way the eye/brain perceive color that makes the brighter picture look better. Have that TV professionally calibrated, and the picture will have much less contract and brightness, but the image will be accurate.

Glossy displays are perceived to have abetter image because of this contrast and brightness, but they are not as accurate. Whether or not this matters to you is where the choice comes in. For someone who uses ColorSync and needs accurate colors, matte is the way to go. if you don't need professional color accuracy, and say watch a lot of movies, surf the web, and do word processing, you might like the higher contrast.

Bottom line - check them both out side by side in the Apple store, and decide for yourself...

14. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Glossy displays look so much better than matte. Finally blacks are black and not grey.

15. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

I agree, I love my glossy MBP.

16. kabunaru Guest

I even made my MacBook's screen matte (with anti-glare film) and to me the screen feels like any regular matte screen now and better.
    I just like matte better.