Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frank (Atlanta)

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
I've noticed that, when I manually put my iMac G5 to sleep, it takes quite a while for it to actually sleep (~15 min vs. the near immediate "sleep" I'd previously experienced).

Went to go repair permissions and...

• Received: "Error: No valid packages (-9997)"
  • Then received pop-up error message: "First Aid failed / Disk Utility stopped repairing permissions on "Macintosh HD" because the following error was encountered: / No valid packages"

I'll try DiskWarrior after work this evening, but what's happened? I haven't installed anything new, etc. Equip/sys info follows:

iMac G5 1.8 / 20"
160GB HD, AEBS, BT Keyboard & Mouse
LaCie 250GB external HD

Thanks,
Frank

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
You didn't delete the /Library/Receipts folder or just its contents, did you? The permissions repair process depends on those receipts being there so it knows what the permissions should be.

Frank (Atlanta)

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
Nope, haven't deleted anything. The only thing that's happened is I shut-down the iMac (via the Apple icon) before leaving for the weekend. I then restarted the machine Sun night and...found what I've described.

Will try DiskWarrior next.

Thx,
Frank

Frank (Atlanta)

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
Yes...strange...

Ran DiskWarrior - found an incorrect tag on one file...repaired & rebuilt the directory. Then ran fsck...no problems.

Reboot and...still the same error re: repairing permissions...

I'll try to call AppleCare; however, think they're closed for the evening.

Frank

Frank (Atlanta)

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
OK...wrldwzrd89 was close...my basesystem.pkg was still in my /library/receipts folder, but it must have become corrupt (?). Apple's noted this error on their website:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25704

I re-install of Panther using archive & install (& preserving user/network settings). Not painful - just had to go through the process.

All's back to normal.

Thanks,
Frank

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.