NO dual 1.25GHZ until November?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by TyleRomeo, Aug 28, 2002.

  1. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2002
    Location:
    New York
    #1
    I was at my local apple store today as my friend picked up her 17 inch iMac and an apple genious guy said that apple isn't releasing the dual 1.25GHZ powermac until early november?

    anyone else heard of this?

    Seems like a looooooooong time to wait for the top of the line mac
     
  2. Macwizzard macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2001
    Location:
    Holladay, UT
    #2
    Don't know

    There is no real way of knowing unless you were to bug and spy on every single person who has anything to do with apple-at the workplace and at home. This means that it could be or it couldn't be. I find no reason for writing this post and anyone out there who thinks I make no sense-just tell me to stop.
     
  3. Inhale420 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 4, 2002
    #4
    not to mention that 1.25ghz being 'top of the line' is laughbable.
     
  4. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

    DakotaGuy

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2002
    Location:
    South Dakota, USA
    #5
    You are laughable. I would love to have a Dual 1.25 even though you think it is slow, I bet it really goes.
     
  5. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2002
    Location:
    Washington DC USA
    #6
    Now what does that say for a G5 @ MWSF?? I don't see it being released, maybe IBM will end up taking over. If Moto can't give us 1.25ghz right now they got issues.
     
  6. iwantanewmac macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2001
    #7
    I still hope we get a better mac next year. (with some really major upgrades) I want to replace my G4 but the dual 867 is not good enough and I think the dual 1 and 1.25 are not worth their money.
    I'll keep wating :)
     
  7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

    Mr. Anderson

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2001
    Location:
    VA
    #8
    if its going to be till november, well, we won't be seeing something new in January. Then there is the IBM announcement in October - timing just doesn't make sense.

    A quick check at the Apple Store shows it will be mid to end of October - pretty damn close to November - this isn't good.

    D
     

    Attached Files:

  8. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2002
    Location:
    New York
    #9
    Apple can't delay the powermac much longer. It's holding back all their products. They can't release new Powerbooks until the 1.25s arrive. How would it look if you could get a 1GHZ powerbook for $3200 and the 1.25s aren't even out yet. I still say they'll be out early october.

    And as for new Powermacs, expect to wait 6 months after the 1.25s are released. So for now it looks like spring time. So kiss goodbye the G5s in January becuase anyone expecting them is going to be throughly disapointed.
     
  9. JustAGuy macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2002
    Location:
    LotusLand
    #10
    Apple.com is showing the stock 1.25s as shipping in "4-6 weeks" so that's still on target for October sometime.
     
  10. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2002
    Location:
    New York
    #11
    thank you justaguy

    i bet you that in two weeks the sign will say 2-4 weeks
     
  11. Multimedia macrumors 603

    Multimedia

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2001
    Location:
    Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
    #12
    I was going to buy a dual 1.25 MDD BUT...

    If IBM's presentation at the San Jose Fairmont Hotel the morning of October 15th indicates that Power4 is shipping in quantity soon thereafter, I'll be forced to wait until January. I could see Apple offering a single or dual Power4 Mac at a higher price than the dual 1.25 sooner than 6 months henceforth. Perhaps $3,999. Point being that if it's going to be November (which I do believe) then we might as well wait for Steve's MWSF presentation to see what's next. Not that he's necessarily going to tell us then. But that perhaps he'll tell us then.

    The other factor will be some benchmarks on the 1.25 to see how much faster it really is. And the other factor is if it is a 7470 or not. Another factor is lust. Another factor is impatience. Another factor is the developement of OS X.2.2 or 2.3. There are an awful lot of bugs in this 10.2.0 that have scared me off of upgrading. I have a very happy and what I percieve to be fast 10.1.5 running on an "old" 500 MHz/100MHz/1.5 GB/100 GB/GF2 CUBE running SILENT.

    So while I would like to boost my capability 5+ times, which I'm sure the dual 1.25 would do, I would also like to wait a little longer and boost my capability 10 times or more which I think the first generation Power4 may do.

    I also may not have a clue. But I guarantee you I will be in the room when IBM explains what they're up to with the Power4 Processor the morning of October 15th at the San Jose Fairmont Hotel.

    Care to join me?
     
  12. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2002
    Location:
    New York
    #13
    Re: I was going to buy a dual 1.25 MDD BUT...

    I'll meet you on the other side. I'll stick with a dual 1.25 and be very happy with it. Believing that apple with use the new IBM chip is as much a fact as the 7470 chip even existing. Just becuase we all want faster chips doesn't mean were going to get them. Just becuase there is some IBM chip meeting doesn't have anything to do with apple. There's a reason why this is a rumor site and shouldn't be taken that seriously. We have to let the G5 at MWSF dreams die. Let's be happy with what we've got and know that it beats anything Wintel releases.

    tyler
     
  13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

    Mr. Anderson

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2001
    Location:
    VA
    #14
    The power4 will be a single chip - what you will get though is probably multiple CPU cores on one chip - so a quad, octo or 16 CPU core chip could be possible - to hell with 10x speed for me, I'll be looking forward to 50x - 100x!

    But all this is somewhat speculation - based on some real data - the Power4 we see talked about in October might be a little different then what we expect. I've seen anything from 1 GHz to 3+GHz - single to 16 processor cores, so there is potential for some truly amazing times ahead.

    D
     
  14. ddtlm macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2001
    #15
    dukestreet:

    You are being incredably unrealistic with talk of 16 Power4-lites.

    A *single* current Power4 probably costs more than any single Mac product and generates more heat than even Apple's new mega heatsink could be expected to deal with. 16 would be in a case with wheels and a 6-figure price tag.

    The whole idea of the Power4-lite is to do away with all the fancy many-many-chip features to make it cheaper.

    TyleRomeo:

    Interesting to note that Apple said "4-6 weeks" the day the 1.25 was announed, and this is 2 or 3 weeks later. Hmmm, still 4-6 weeks. I originally thought about getting one, but I have since given up and will wait till the next revision which may very well include a Power4-lite option, but we won't have much idea about that until October 15th.
     
  15. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2002
    Location:
    New York
    #16
    Sorry ddtlm, I think you misread what i posted ( or a futzed up my post) anywho, orginally on august 13th the apple site said it would be a 6-8 week wait. Two weeks later on the 28th, the 6-8 week wait went down to 4-6 weeks.

    I guarantee in 2 weeks it will say 2-4 weeks. And eventually it will widle away to 5-7 days, 3-5 days, and then 1-3

    So still count on the powermac 1.25 coming out around the same time the october 1st monitor rebate occurs. And if my predictions are right those could include new monitors from Paris just two weeks prior.

    tyler
     
  16. ddtlm macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2001
    #17
    TyleRomeo:

    Oh, oops I guess my memory was playing tricks on me. Good to see that the ETA is actually dropping. :)
     
  17. jefhatfield Retired

    jefhatfield

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2000
    #18
    Re: NO dual 1.25GHZ until November?

    that's two months+ away and by then, tibook may be at 1 ghz and have 64 MB ati video card or ddr ram...or both

    ...and that may steal high end sales since there must be a lot of pros who are contemplating a tower or a tibook, now that laptops are truly desktop replacements
     
  18. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2002
    Location:
    New York
    #19
    Re: Re: NO dual 1.25GHZ until November?

    exactly my point man, they can't update the Ti book until the 1.25s are shipping or they will steal the PowerMacs "thunder"

    so you Ti Book guys are going to have to wait until at least october for your PB
     

Share This Page