no DVD for me, XP won't let me, I want my Apple!

Discussion in 'Community' started by 840quadra, May 19, 2005.

1. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

With all of this talking about Knickers and whatnot, I decided I should brush up on some of my pure English by watching (actually more listening to) a comedy full of English actors.

I decided to pop in Lock Stock and 2 smoking barrels, and get some good laughs. Well I guess It wasn't meant to be. The first box I attempted to load it into, A Dell Optiplex 3.2 GHZ P4, instantly crashed. I had just loaded this box with a fresh copy of XP SP2, all of the updated packages, WinDVD, Windows Media Player updates, and Itunes. No matter what program I attempted to load it into the system would crash.

I thought, well that's odd..

So I proceeded to load it into my Dell D505 (the box I am typing on now :( ). It didn't crash, but I also couldn't get it to play with ANY of the programs I have loaded. I have VLC, M-player, WinDVD, Media player9, and Real player. All proceeded to tell me that I couldn't load the movie for various reasons that it couldn't understand the media.

The odd thing is, I can play this DVD just fine on my G3, my G4 Digital Audio, and my G5 with no extra program, and even VLC and Mplayer work just fine on these Macintosh systems. This is also a Store bought (Best Buy) real copy of the DVD!

I still like XP for work and such, but to me this Blows!

At work with no Macintosh, and no fun background audio :(

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Sounds about right. I guess that's why we no longer have a Windows box in our house. I just got sick of screwing with them.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ugh... :( Didn't it use to be that, for some reason, a lot of Windows PCs came with a custom DVD player program from the OEM, and only played DVDs through that program for some reason? I seem to remember something similar for our Compaq. Nonsensical...don't get me wrong ;) but.... :D

4. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

WOW, that sucks, and to think that i have actually considered buying a cheap PC just to learn how to navigate in windows, hmmmmmm makes me rethink. :)

5. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

XP doesn't actually come with an official DVD player does it?

I had a similar experience trying to watch Terminator on my Girlfriends desktop computer...an entire no no. I spent ten minutes trying to find some freeware, only to be taken to wrong pages, pop ups and malware.

When I finally found one, I sat down and enjoyed a full 5 minutes of the film, only for it to stop and demand a $10 subscription fee to carry on playing!!

It just goes to show how good the OS X is doesn't it?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This made me wonder if my experience from back in the Win2k days is *still* true, and the answer I found surprised me:

Link at MS Website

So basically, the issue is still true -- MS does not include a decoder in XP. Without the decoder, you cannot use any player to play DVDs. With the decoder, WMP will handle them, so you don't need a player, really, per se, and WMP is the DVD Player for Windows. It sounds like 840's issue might be that the image that was used for his work computer does not include the OEM's decoder.... Any computer that got clean installed from Windows install disks or an image thereof (but not an OEM image) would not have a decoder.

I guess part of the reason we never see this with Macs is in part because we get our hardware and OS from the same people. But still, this strikes me as ridiculous....

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I went through the same thing years ago. I, for some reason, just expected it to work when I insert a DVD movie in the DVD drive. I saw it work just like that on a Mac. And I thought Macs sucked the big one back then. Even if it didn't work off the bat on the PC, I'll find a free software that will do it even better than the Mac does *sniffles nose arrogantly*. A few days later, I learned the truth.

No it's not the reason I switched, but it's one of the many reasons why I'm glad I finally saw the light.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Actually, not to get into the whole can open, worms everywhere, thing, or to go too far OT, but what's the deal for Linux? So far, I haven't used a Linux distro that can play DVD movies out of the box. Is this still true? I haven't tried nearly every distro by any stretch of the imagination.

9. 840quadra thread starter Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

The only thing that bothers me is, the same Dell D505 I attempted to watch this DVD on last night, would play the DVD Ronin without any issues a few weeks prior.

I understand the decoder topic, I am just stumpped as to why this one DVD was unable to play. After I posted this thread, I brought the DVD back to a G4 we have in the office. It opened and played just fine. :confused:

10. 840quadra thread starter Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

That is mostly true. The newer version of Fedora I installed was able to play DVD video just fine. I did end up installing VLC in the end, I like the interface much better.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's good. Glad to hear that this is changing....

12. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

A quote from that article:
    Christ in heaven, what the hell kind of stupid advice is that?!?! How about making the app INTUITIVE so you don't have to click on random buttons to see what they do??

Typical m$ bull-cookies

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, you know, the system was designed to maximize the likelihood that a room full of monkeys banging on a keyboard could recreate a Shakespeare sonnet. :D

14. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Sorry, just had to correct your last post; there were a few errors in it

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

By the monkeys, for the monkeys, of the monkeys. :D