No DVD reader, how to cleat this tangle

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iMac2012., Nov 6, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Nov 6, 2012

I am going to enthusiastically get the new iMac. Though, I couldn't care less for the augmented thinnes of the computer's body, while the lack of a DVD reader is a crucial annoyance to me. I know very little about computers. What I ask is, some DVD reader brands that offer the same quality Apple gives, and I can buy, link to the iMac, and get performances as perfect as those Apple made me used to.

thank you
  2. macrumors 6502a

Sep 3, 2009
    The drives that apple puts in their computers aren't anything special. You'll get the same performance with any external optical disk drive that isn't broken.
  3. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA

But, if you are unsure, buy the Apple external DVD. It costs a lot more, but it might give you peace of mind, and it doesn't require 2 USB ports.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 6, 2012
  5. macrumors member

Sep 30, 2012
  6. macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2012
    I will dare to say that optical drives used in Mac computers are sub par - they often stop working after few years, especially the ones in laptops. I had two of ODDs die on me. They're nothing special or "Apple" quality.

Get any external DVD drive (or even Blu-Ray) with USB 2 connection, it will work ok. They even make wireless drives (Sony I think) but to me, it's pretty useless because you'll be plugging power cord anyway.
  7. macrumors 6502

Jun 11, 2012
  8. macrumors 604

Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    Some of the external DVD drives require 2 ports in order to get enough power. Other externals use 1 usb port plus a power brick.
  9. macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2002
    Middle Earth
    Just use remote disc if you've got a computer on the network with a dvd drive. That's the free solution.