No edu discount on mac mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by engelhart, Jan 12, 2005.

1. engelhart macrumors member

May 23, 2004
    Intriguing, was just browsing the UK Apple store (which wasn't a pleasant experience as the connection kept resetting, possibly very busy after yesterday).

Anyway, I was looking at the mac mini and there is no educational discount on this item which I find quite intriguing. Is Apple cutting the profit margin so close on this one to try and go mass market that it can't afford to offer any discount at all or does it just take a few days for new products on the store to receive educational discounts?

2. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Sep 28, 2004
    there is a edu discount here in the states. It was only 20 bucks off.
  3. mactropy macrumors member

Dec 4, 2004
    Yeah, probably. It looks to me that they are counting on people to purchase other Apple products once they decided they like their Mac mini. That way the extremely low-priced mini would make sense for the company.
  4. t300 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2004
    This is true. Every little bit helps, though. What DIDN'T have an edu discount was the 512mb iPod shuffle. To shame! I wanted one at $89.00!
  5. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    every bit helps for starving students!!! hehe
  6. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    Can I just say that I NEVER saw a 'starving student' in the six years I was one. We certainly weren't loaded but starving I think not. In my experience beer seemed quite high on a student's list of expenses and I doubt it's changed much.
  7. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    The $99 iPod Shuffle has quite a bit more stuffed into it than a $69 512MB USB drive -- maybe even $15 of difference between production costs.

Therefore the margins probably aren't that great -- the profit is going to come from volume.