No EDU discount on new iPods?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Flyinace2000, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Jus tlookin gat the new iPods and i don't see and edu discount on them. WTF. First the rebates and the new iMac and now this. Anyone else not seeing the discount on the iPods?

2. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

You're right!

I am sure that they'll put it up in afew days after they snare a few unsuspecting buyers.....

3. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

4. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

I noticed that too. It really, really, really sucks. :(

5. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

colors again hm....

i wonder if the battery is really as good or strong as they say it is...

6. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

I think they are waiting for the buy a Mac get a free iPod promotion to expire. Since, as far as I can tell, it applies to the new iPods.

7. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

there's another thread saying that the new iPods do not qualify for the rebate.. because of part numbers.

8. pip11 macrumors member

9. vega07 macrumors 65816

how many days though? does anyone remember?

didn't it take a couple of weeks for the bluetooth mighty mouse?

10. pip11 macrumors member

:mad: :mad:

from the rebate FAQ:
    The second-generation iPod nano (aluminum) and the 30GB and 80GB iPod with brighter display, both announced on Sept. 12, 2006, are not eligible for this offer. Only the original iPod nano and iPod with video models are eligible. See below for part numbers.

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/bts/bts_faq.html

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Seems to be a lot of threads on this, and the forums are so chaotic right now that I can't imagine the mods will be able to merge them all, so I'll post this again here.

Apple's terms for the US educational store no longer include the iPod in the section outlining purchase quantity limits.

12. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

i dont think so. Though my first reaction too was like WTF. But I think Apple did the right thing by not bundling the new iPods under the scheme. If they did, then everyone who used the scheme earlier might have felt cheated. Also the trend of waiting till the last minute would`ve continued in the coming years too thereby having -ve impact on Mac and iPod sales. So in a way Apple is absolutely right in not adding new iPods with the rebate scheme.

13. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Yeah they definitely don't qualify for the rebates...but where is the student discount.

Someone should call.

There is still no education discount on the bluetooth mighty mouse.

14. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I got a bluetooth MM at edu pricing at the apple store here in NC. Maybe it's just online stuff..

Nuc

15. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

How much?

16. cossie macrumors member

While i'm not clued up on past Apple practices, it doesn't make that much sense for them to include the newest iPods in the special offer (the buy a Mac and get a big iPod discount offer).

With the release of the new iPods noone will really want to buy an older model iPod unless it's going very cheap - we get £100 or 160 euro off here - so Apple would want to get rid of the older, outdated stock...ship them off as part of a package to college students to get rid of them!

17. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Some Apple Stores gave discounts on the Bluetooth MM, but that's not official at all. It's my impression that those employees who did that only did so because they themselves figured that the lack of a discount must have been some sort of mistake. I asked at my Apple Store when I bought mine and the specifically said that there was not an EDU discount on the BT MM.

As for their being a delay between new product introductions and an EDU discount, I've never seen such a thing. The education store is updated at the same time as the main store.

It doesn't really surprise me that they've discontinued discounts on iPods. They are so popular among students (perhaps moreso than any other demographic) and they reduced the prices across the board.

18. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

The Irish store doesn't specify which type of iPod is included, except that the 80 Gig is not included in the list of qualifying iPods.

I've ordered a macbook and iPod (30Gig) which it still says is included in the order. It's also a bit cheaper than the original edu price (only €14, but still).

Will I get the updated iPod and the cheaper price, or should I cancel the order and start again?

I haven't heard anything from Apple. Maybe I should ring them tomorrow.

19. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

First, your attitude is uncalled for, it's a legitimate concern/question, so you can piss off.

Second, I can't remember any products (recently) not being EDU discounted right away. I've checked the iMacs, minis, MacBooks/Pros, and Mac Pros the day or day after they were released and they all had EDU discounts.

One way or the other, you don't know what you are talking about, you have a bad attitude, and these forums don't need people like you.

20. generik macrumors 601

generik

I guess EDU discounts for the iPods just got quietly abolished.

21. briantology macrumors 6502

Think of it this way. The previous 30GB iPod video was selling at $299 normally and $269 with the educational discount. Now the new and improved 30GB iPod is $249 currently. Now tell me, if you were selling the product what would you do? They lowered the prices of the old (as of today) iPods to match, if necessary, the price of the new ones. Therefore everyone gets a discount bigger than the education discount. Yet if you buy a qualifying Mac, a rebate is included for $179 and you can get an older 30GB iPod video for $90. This rebate is only availabe to eductional consumers. But I believe this shall be changed after the promotion ends.

22. generik macrumors 601

generik

Apple is not a charity, so I seriously doubt they just went off their rockers and decided to give everyone a better than EDU discount all of a sudden.

Plenty of reasons, the slipping sales figures may be one... 14 million last Q4, 7.6 million Q1, 7.1 million Q2... wall street is going nuts! Analysts are all declaring that the iPod has lost its charm! Perhaps Apple figured that they can win back more buyers with lower prices.

Also your assumption that the cost of 30GB hard drives and other components stayed completely stagnant over the past year baffles me.

23. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

I agree with you, I was saying that the removal of the standard EDU discount sucks. :)

24. arcsbite Guest

I would assume either temporary hiccup or temporary plan.

The new shuffle has EDU discount, I have trouble believing you can get discount on the cheapest iPod and not on the rest.

25. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Not true...it's $79 for everyone. As I pointed out earlier in the thread, iPods are no longer mentioned in Apple's EDU store terms under purchase limits.