No Finder No Trash icon on Dock.

Discussion in 'OS X' started by Samarium, Apr 6, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Hello everyone, my friend doesnt have Finder/Trash icons, the space is there, if you click it, it functions, but it doesnt have an icon. Picture attached.

What can i do to help him out?
    We already used Disk Utility without any success, repair disk didnt function, it stayed at ! min remaining.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I am guessing that the icons got deleted? wow i have no idea...finder can be found Macintosh HD>System>Library>CoreServices

Find finder and see if he has an icon in there...

3. macrumors 6502

I don't know what to tell you, mabey reinstall leopard?

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Samarium

yes, finder is there, appears with an icon.

5. macrumors regular

download candy bar and you should be able to replace those icons with ones of ur own choosing, this might solve ur problem.

6. macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Okay...Um can you try dragging the finder app into the dock? Does it open finder normally? I am not exactly sure however how to take out the blank finder since it is running. You could try quiting it in activity monitor but I don't know how safe this is

7. macrumors regular

oh and the repair disk always stays at one min until it's almost done, does it on mine too, u just need to wait it out...

8. macrumors 603

richard.mac

not yet! :)

firstly try relaunching the dock by typing this command into Terminal which is in the Utilities folder.

Code:
    killall Dock
    if this didnt fix it try dragging "com.apple.cock.plist" in home/Library/Preferences to the desktop and typing the above command into Terminal again. this will reset the dock to the default settings. if you want your settings back just drag the plist back to your Preferences folder, replace the one the Dock just created and then type the above Terminal command again.

lastly if none of this works try trashing everything in home/Library/Caches and then restarting. empty the Trash after you have restarted. apps will open slow after this so you can open all your apps again to make them launch faster the second time.

9. macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

WOW Just completely kicked my advice outa this world!:D

10. macrumors regular

yeah i totally forgot about that, i should have known sense im constantly changing my dock color.... :confused:

11. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Ok, i'll try again.

First thing I did.

Second thing I did, No sucesss.

I'll try this in a second, I'll try to "Repair Disk" one more time.

12. macrumors regular

yeah just let it sit, u might want to stop it after a while but it will eventually complete itself, it may even jump to saying est.. time of completion is 18 min or so, but don't worry it will finish up in like a min after that message appears and the blue bar starts to move.

13. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Finished "Repair Disk"

We got this.

Permissions differ on "private/var/log/secure.log", should be -rw------- , they are -rw-r----- .
    6:55 PM

Group differs on "private/var/root/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist", should be 0, group is 90.

User differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be 0, user is 501.

Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .

User differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/English.lproj", should be 0, user is 501.
    6:56 PM

Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/English.lproj", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .
    6:56 PM

User differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/flashplayer.xpt", should be 0, user is 501.

and more.

14. macrumors 603

richard.mac

just looks like you installed Flash player recently. has nothing to do with the dock. i dont think repairing permissions will help this issue. if it didnt work then it wont work again.

15. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Sigh, okay. Any other ideas? Thanks to everyone participating.

16. macrumors regular

just do an archive and re-install or a reinstall from a time machine backup that still had a finder dock icon maybe>? :confused: If you do an archive and install you won't loose all ur media etc.

17. macrumors regular

18. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Create a new user. I'll bet you'll find the icons are OK in there. If so, transfer all the data over to the new user account and use that or trash the old account, recreate it and transfer back.

19. macrumors 603

richard.mac

i wouldnt think so as trashing the dock plist didnt work. so it must be a system issue. in which case an Archive and Install should be done.

20. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Third or Fourth thing I did. No success.