No firewall for few days, should I worry?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by benmadrid, Mar 27, 2007.

1. benmadrid macrumors member

Hi, I recently changed my router and just realised that the new one has no firewall, and that my new Macbook came with the firewall switched off (no idea why it isn't on as a default). Before that I think the rooter had a firewall, but the mac one was off for the last 2 months since I bought it. Should I worry that my computer may have been compromised in any way, and if so, what should I do? Thanks (I used to have a PC, hence the paranoia!)

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Agreed. Macs are, to date, bullet-proof even without the firewall running.

4. benmadrid thread starter macrumors member

5. seanf macrumors 6502

How can you state that without even getting further information from the OP? For example, do you know if he is running any server software that may have exposed information about his computer whilst he was without a firewall?

Sean :)

6. benmadrid thread starter macrumors member

OK, server software such as? I'll be happy to let you know if you tell me the sort of thing you might mean.

7. seanf macrumors 6502

For example, have you enabled web sharing, file sharing, etc.?

8. benmadrid thread starter macrumors member

Just windows sharing, with my wife's pc, but she needed my pw to get in.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Is your computer behaving strangely, slower, with functions disabled? If so you may have been hacked, if not you are safe.

10. benmadrid thread starter macrumors member

No. all seems fine to me. BTW, nice location, I was brought up down the road in Radley ;)

11. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Make sure that the firewall under System Preferences > Sharing > Firewall is On. Turn off "Open Safe Files..." and Autofill in Safari if you use it.

12. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

just always remember Murphy's Law :D

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Thats not too far from where I live at all, I don't actually live in Oxford itself but a small village outside...

14. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Nah, Mac OS X is pretty bulletproof. Not totally by any means, but its a lot more secure than most other OSs.

15. seanf macrumors 6502

And what if, for example, someone had managed to access the OP's network share by his public address and view files? There would be no signs of the computer acting strangely, but he would have been exposed by not running a firewall. Not all intrusions leave strangely behaving computers behind ;)

16. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

:D :D :D

So, Windows File Sharing on, no Firewall, no Router security* -- yeah, your files were hanging out there in the open for an enterprising hacker anywhere in the world to attempt to see. You can count on a machine on the Internet to be portscanned within a few minutes to a few hours, looking for open doors.

(*Confused on that point -- does not your router do NAT -- that is, don't your machines on your internal network have their own IP addresses 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x ? Network Address Translation is a primitive form of protection)

Also, make sure whatever router you set up, you change the default admin username and password of the router itself - whats the point of having a firewall in the router if you leave it open to be turned off by the well known admin PWs?