Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Coming out of WWDC are reports that Apple has officially admitted that the Apple iPhone will not support Adobe's Flash plug-in in Safari.

Flash support has been a long unanswered question about the Apple iPhone. Steve Jobs had made comments early on that we might see Flash in iPhone according to David Pogue:

Markoff: “Flash [in the iPhone]?”
Jobs: “Well, you might see that.”

Of note, Jobs did say that Youtube support would be in the iPhone... but by sidestepping Flash altogether:
Jobs: “Yeah, YouTube—of course. But you don’t need to have Flash to show YouTube. All you need to do is deal with YouTube. And plus, we could get ‘em to up their video resolution at the same time, by using h.264 instead of the old codec.”

This portion of Jobs' plan came true with the Youtube addon for Apple TV which will require Youtube to convert their catalog of videos into the h.264 format.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
Sure, its dissapointing but lets be honest... we never really KNEW there would be flash. We just sorta guessed it.

This further's my argument that the images we are seeing for the iPhone ad's are composited. That flash on the NY Times page had to get there somehow... it there because the whole page is fake, it was not what was really on the screen. We have never seen a working iPhone show flash content. Of course, the October 2nd date proved this too. Thats beside the point though.

Everytime I see Apple pull another thing we are expecting from the phone, I cringe. I wish they would be more forward and just give us straight answers. Thats what gets us in this mess. I am gonna get one regardless, they already sold me on it. It just is a bummer to find out now that it isnt what I expected. I just wish I KNEW back in January what they had sold me on.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
We should all keep in mind that the iPhone can add new software features at any time, and hopefully Apple will not let us down by making that possibility go to waste.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Bad news, though not a total surprise. Many smaller sites rely heavily on Flash navigation. A few major ones too. Without those, it's not quite the "real Internet."

Luckily, between now and the 16-32 GB version I'm waiting for, Flash may be added. (For that matter, it may well eventually be added for the first buyers too.)

So I guess the iPhone doesn't really have the entire Safari app, does it?

It's a different app obviously, but that aside, Flash is a plugin.

PS, Given all the great news today getting negative votes, I half expect this bummer to get mainly positives :p

Asar

macrumors regular
May 29, 2006
i'm just going to wait now to see if new apps come out. this sucks lol. a $50 blackjack has flash, a $600 iphone doesnt. what makes it the real internet?

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Sorry, Apple let me down today, now I'm not looking forward to the iPhone, there won't be ANY games for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its a ****ING phone, there NEEDS to be games!!!!!!!!
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
We should all keep in mind that the iPhone can add new software features at any time, and hopefully Apple will not let us down by making that possibility go to waste.

Yeah, thats what I keep telling myself. They are gonna update it like they do with the iPod. We are gonna see more functionallity in it. Thanks to their smart accounting ideas, early adopters will get these upgrades through updates (in addition to people that buy after the updates). I just fear that the upgrades will be as slow as the iPod. Lets be honest... if they are selling... why add flash? Its all about money.

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
I'm not paying 600 dollars for watered down "real internet", notes, and iChat.

Now there's nothing for me in this phone. I REALLY wanted it, I have the money and was SO excited till today. Seriously what's the point? I feel like I've been lied to for 6 months.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
Yeah, this is a big bummer. Steve should be working with Adobe and have them make a Flash plugin. The phone should also support Java Runtime, or at least J2ME. I also suggest that Steve put some form of Apache on the phone if we are to make third party apps with JavaScript and Ajax, hell he might as well throw in php too. Steve this is all sh*t you should seriously work on, especially the flash and Java.

I think we should all submit posts to apple and tell them to support Java and Flash.

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1184

late

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
So only part of the real internet? Oh well.

Sorry to say, you are wrong. Browsers support flash. Flash is a product offered by adobe that browser's embed. Flash is not the internet. True, they are taking away elements key websites use. What that commercial is saying though is that the phone is built to view REAL WEBPAGES, not MOBILE VERSIONS. The addition of Flash is just a browser advantage. So the iPhone has a crappy browser? Maybe. But at least it can view REAL WEBPAGES. Dont believe me? check out http://mobile.macrumors.com ...thats what other phones see.

iLunar

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2006
So its not really the "Internet" then like those commercials say. Lack of Flash support is really lame. Something so simple and Apple bails on it. It makes no sense.

So many websites out there have flash elements. You just can't make a respectable browser without Flash now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.