no fm on ipod -- why ??

Discussion in 'iPod' started by tgruene, Oct 13, 2006.

1. tgruene macrumors newbie

I like to listen to the radio every now and then. Can anyone tell me - why the hell they don't have at least one ipod that can do fm? sure - as hell don't want to schlepp around two gadgets --- :confused: :confused:

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

because they didn't feel it was an important feature...?

4. tgruene thread starter macrumors newbie

5. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Yawn. My, aren't you angry. There are FM radios for the iPod what connect right to it. Or, are you worried about schlepping an extra ounce? That is about what they weigh. Or, are you really here to sing the virtues of the new MS offering? Please....do not live up to all my expectations.

6. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

7. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

well, you listen to radio in the morning at home. when you drive, you listen. sometimes when you are at office, you listen it. it's enough. ipod doesn't need radio feature. if you want it, buy radio remote.

8. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

fm recivers are power and space consuming. also most dont care if they have fm recivers they would make the nano thicker.

...gosh darnit why doesn't my fm radio play mp3's :mad: :rolleyes:

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Apple have somehow managed to sell a few iPods without a built in radio. :rolleyes:

It's obviously a feature that's not very important to most customers and the FM remote is there for those who need it.

10. tgruene thread starter macrumors newbie

1. yes, I am
    2. no, I am not

addicted to all things mac, therefore mad ...
    admit it, it makes no sense. the ipod is all about simple and elegant form factor, add ons make no sense for it.

space can hardly be the reason it is missing - an fm fits easily in the tiniest space, so what is it ?

11. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

there is next to no space left in the iPod. like seriously, none.

i think the metallic backing plate would interfere with signals anyway.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The cheap embedded FMs that are found in cell phones and other devices are usually pieces of junk. Stations that would come in loud and clear on my car radio were weak on my old Rio MP3 player. So, Apple's approach of leaving a feature that most people apparently don't feel as strongly as you to various add ons does make a lot of sense.

Even assume that the incremental cost of adding an FM radio is $0.50, by the time you've sold 1M iPods you've saved $500K and you also didn't have to deal with finding a spot for an antenna, making the device bigger, etc... Would enough people who feel as strongly as you do avoid the iPod just because of the lack fo this "feature" to offset the savings?

B

13. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

I like that there isn't extras in/with the iPod. Like a radio, AC adapter, dock, etc. These are things that not every user will use others will trash them. Save the plastic and save people $$. Let the people that want it buy it.

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I had my phone upgraded a couple of weeks back and I've just checked my new one and there's no radio.
    The last one had a FM tuner and it was used precisely zero times in the 12 months I owned it. :D

15. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

hmm. You may have a point. Maybe this is why all that iPod Killers do so well against the iPod. because they have FM radio, voice recording, omlet maker, and of course, the ever popular, Microsoft Whine-o-meter. "Why doesn't our brand sell as good as the iPod... look how cool our's is: Its got FM radio!!"

16. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

because unless you live in Australia your not missing anything good on the radio :p

17. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Ain't that the truth. Did you listen to the One Night Stand back in April? I didn't because I was there in Pirie, partially because I live there and more-so because I was dragged there by two girls into he mosh pit

18. tgruene thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmmm, how about that: kexp.org ?

... thx for the link, sounds good, funny accent :)

19. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Because FM radio is boring. The same sh.t all day, in a different rotation. Please, the iPod is a personal device that you configure with your favorite music. FM was cool in the seventies and early eighties but went downhill because there wasn't any good music after that. So they had to come up with terms to describe their stations, like 'Classic rock', urban/hip-hop, 'Soft Rock', etc. I gave up on FM years ago and listen to AM talk and my iTunes. Hell, I haven't bought a CD in three years. Nothing out there that is good.

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Actually, the chips that have been powering the iPods are the same chips that power other players and have an FM section included, so no extra space is needed other than the application to make it work. Whether they've have PortalPlayer disable the FM portion or not, I don't know, but it's been there. "Specifications subject to change without notice", maybe?

21. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

I just don't understand all the Radio haters whenever someone post this. I would love FM radio (without the $49 remote) to listen to news and NPR stations, and AM to listen to ballgames or my local news/trafic/weather station on the 8's. I agree that it may kill the form factor, but that doesnt mean I don't want both. And yes you can still find good FM music programming in some areas.

80GB and nothing looks good :(

22. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It's not radio hating, per se. In fact I listen to far more NPR daily now with the iPod and NPR podcasts that I've augmented my annual contirbution to my local NPR station by a $10 monthly contribution for their podcast fund.

As was mentioned above, if I'm in a place long enough to want to listen to live radio, I usually have a much better radio handy (home, car, work) and I don't live in a major city so radio reception is somewhat spotty already. So what's the point of having a crappy FM receiver in the iPod.

Believe me, I've done a fair amount of mixed signal board debugging and having those FM signals on the board can be an absolute nightmare. Even if the chip already supports FM demodulation, you still need to get the signals to it in some way, i.e an antenna, and the signals will end up traveling all over the board. ick!

B

23. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

I wish they would add FM, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, 1900x1080 screen, GSM, and a full slideout keyboard, of course keeping it the same size, price, and battery life. WTF are those stupid apple engineers thinking by not adding these?

24. calculus Guest

calculus

Because your iPod, if it's anything like mine, is the best radio station in the world?

25. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Exactly. If you want to listen to FM, buy the radio remote or don't own an iPod but own a portable radio. Your iPod is supposed to replace FM, and it's quite obvious that many people believe this. FM is on it's way out...