No "Free iPods"...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iMurc, Jan 29, 2005.

1. iMurc macrumors member

After seeing all of the point less Free iPod sites, I looked for a site that fought against it and here is the only one I could find no*********.info. Are there ANY other ones???

2. iMurc thread starter macrumors member

OK... It should say NoFreeiP0ds.info with out the "0" to be a o.

3. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

4. iMurc thread starter macrumors member

I am not trying to prove anything, I am just looking for other anti-free iPod Sites. If there are any others.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

That reall doesn't even seem to be a site, more like a donate to me site.

Nothing really works but the paypal button. [​IMG]

So it's really not even a site -- just a single page of text.

---

But these iPod scams tell everybody that you are worth $40 -- when in reallity you're phone number, home address, and e-mail are worth much less than that as data they'd sell as a phone room service to other companies.

Can't sell the list -- but they can telemarket the hell out of you. You contacted them and entered their contest/scheme -- so you gave them the keys to the "no call list" loophole.

Only when they sell you some crap are you worth some real dough.

If they can sell you some sort of scam and take you for thousands, then you are worth the big bucks -- and sold for some real money to other scumbag operation.

Basically your only worth something if they can easily sell you something, not $40 for everyone that signs up. So their economics for the free iPod are most likey fake.

6. iMurc thread starter macrumors member

Well, I think that you are right this is more of a "Page" not a "Site," but I have been unable to find any other site/page to say negitive things about the free iPods... Is there really no others?

7. isaacc7 macrumors regular

I've signed up for several of these things and none of them have asked for a phone number. They do want your email address and snail mail address, but I can't attribute any extra spam from them, my levels have remained unchanged. How they make money is very easy, they make you do all their work. I have yet to get anything from these guys, but then again it hasn't cost me anything either. I have tried out some free offers and that's it. I don't spam my friends and not enough people go to my website to make a difference:) Anyway, they definately are not a scam, many people get stuff from them if they work at it hard enough...

Isaac

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Gratis says your signing up someone is worth $50 to them to come to you for the free iPod mini...

They use Aderactive for their 3rd party bounty collection...

http://www.digitalmoses.com/backissues/2004/06/10/topoffers.htm

You'll find that most of these bounties are not worth what they're telling us. Which makes things start to stink.

You know AOL isn't going to pay $40-$90 to Aderactive for every new customer signing up -- if 90% of them cancel before the end of the month, and another huge amount cancel after the first bill.

Plus many of the Gratis reports from the end of the year said, they've sent out $3 million dollars in crap to people -- after running the sites for years.

With millions of people signing up for the iPod/mini/Photo scam alone, they would have made several huge multiples of $50 million dollar bills in that one iPod site alone for the year.

If all their sites only sent out $3 million after operating for year... that starts to stink of a scam.

9. isaacc7 macrumors regular

(shrug) I don't see any scam in what you describe, just very crafty business. There isn't anything underhanded going on, the worst that can happen to me is that I get some junk mail. They are making tons of money because of people like me, I sign up a couple of people for them and then realize it's too much work to actually get the total number needed. Everyone goes into this with their eyes open, so I still don't understand people's need to call it a "scam".

Isaac

10. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Sort of related, but it cracks me up whenever I see the sticky post abotu No Free iPods on this forum... right below the banner ad that says "Click here for a FREE IPOD!!"
    :p
    I've been meaning to grab a screen shot of it, but havent thought to do it when ever I see that combo...

Rob

EDIT Now I can't find the forum that had the No Free iPod post stickied... am I crazy? It was there, I swear it!

11. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

Here is another anti-Free iPod site. Want an iPod? It can be yours for just $299 or $249 for a Mini. Don't believe it? It worked for me-I gave them money and less than a week later I had my iPod!

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's a pyramid scheme... many pyramid schemes always promote themselves as legal.

The reason pyramid schemes are illegal is because they eventually collapse...

If people keep saying this is legit and doesn't cost anything -- why are the majority of the people saying, "get this, it's the cheapest, then cancel it." :rolleyes:

Just because some people actually end up getting something doesn't make it legit either -- many pyramid schemes actually pay something in the beginning.

Only difference with this one, the company doesn't have to ever send anything out -- it's part of the T&Cs.