No G5s but plenty else

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by DJ Hoyt, Jan 6, 2002.

1. DJ Hoyt macrumors member

Jul 19, 2001
    Austin, TX US
    Okay, me and my girlfriend have come to a conclusion of what we expect at the Expo tomorrow.

1. Quad Processor G4 Desktops
    2. PowerBooks in the 800MHz, new design
    3. Flat screen iMacs with detachable LCD
    4. iWalk (this is almost definite because Pen Computing is sponsoring this one)

What do you all think? Don't think G5s are coming out yet, Motorola hasn't even finished testing on the chip. I expect they will be out in MacWorld Tokyo.
  2. Interiority macrumors member

Nov 9, 2001
    I agree - no G5s tomorrow. The only way we will see a G5 is if Steve decides to satisfy public demand by rebranding the Apollo G4 as a G5. Motorola and Apple have put too much work into Apollo to replace it at Macworld Tokyo. MWNY at the earliest.

Quad G4s are certainly technically feasible, and would be an easy way to satisfy demand for faster Macs, given Motorolas failure to deliver faster chips. It just comes down to cost, and whether Apple would be prepared to commit four chips to a single machine if yields are low in the manufacturing process.

The Powerbook G4 was speedbumped in the summer, and recently updated again with combo drives. This is probably Apple's sexiest bit of kit ever, and there's plenty of mileage left in it yet. Don't count on any upgrade... a small speedbump maybe, but I'm highly sceptical.

Flat-panel iMacs are a certainty. Personally, I believe the detachable screens and associated pen / communication technology will make the whole thing too expensive for an entry level consumer PC. We will see tomorrow.

Not going to be drawn on the iWalk situation, because I really have no opinion. If Apple do release a PDA, it will have a better name than 'iWalk', it won't bear any resemblance to the fakes shown by Spymac, and will probably be presented as the next evolutionary step for the iPod, rather than a brand new device.

My money is on the following :

Flat panel Sahara iMacs - up to 900MHz
    Dual Apollo G4s - up to 1.4GHz
    An enhanced / cheaper iPod
    iPhoto - plus updates to OS X, Appleworks, Quicktime etc
    A revolutionary new iDevice - but probably not a full blown PDA
  3. sprescott1974 macrumors member

Jan 4, 2002
    pen computing

where is pen computing sponsoring the iWalk? a link would be nice.
  4. rekras macrumors regular

Sep 3, 2001
    ummmmmmm i doubt it buddy
  5. adam1234 macrumors newbie

Jan 4, 2002
    iWalk? Yeah, right!

No way there will be an iWalk, or any other PDA for that instance. Apple has no such product in development.
  6. DJ Hoyt thread starter macrumors member

Jul 19, 2001
    Austin, TX US
    iWalk and Sponsors

Well we all pretty much know it won't be called an iWalk and yes the Spymac thing was fake. But I think Apple IS working on a PDA and it might be released tomorrow, here's the link so you can see Pen Computing is a sponsor. Maybe the first poster is right, it will only be a robust iPOD with organization features and a cheaper price.
  7. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
  8. j763 macrumors 6502a

Nov 25, 2001
    Champaign, IL, USA
    Apple will only work on a PDA once their initiative with SkyCorp gets going - and they are able to deliver broadband access anywhere in the world via LEOS. (for those of you interested, there is more info on this at The iWalk is a complete fake - in fact the trademark iWalk is registered ironically to Microsoft Corp - check the us patents site for more info.

-No PDA on Monday
    -No iWalk ever
    -And Apple does have an official project to deliver broadband internet via LEOS to PowerBooks but we wont see this until mwsf03 at the earliest
    -Then they might think about making a PDA...
    -I think that on Monday we might see either OS X running on x86 boxes and/or Jaguar including windows emulation...

9. Doraemon macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2001
    Europe (EU)
    j763 is right.

No PDA, no iWalk.

And the PowerBook will definitely NOT be updated or re-designed! Nonsense!
  10. DJ Hoyt thread starter macrumors member

Jul 19, 2001
    Austin, TX US
    Okay I suck

Well sorry, it would've been nice though. And I like the iMac, I really do. The detachable screen part was stupid of me to suggest, sorry. But the PDA, hey, it could've happened. You all are just talking trash because you've ALREADY seen the webcast. Just you wait for the Tokyo show :-D