No G5s until end of August

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by oldMac, Jan 17, 2002.

1. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2001
    Stop your waiting...

I have good information that G5s will not be ready in volume until sometime in August. The machines will be announced at MWNY.

Prepare to purchase a dual-G4 or wait 6 long months for your new G5.
  2. GPTurismo macrumors 6502

May 4, 2001
    Montgomery, AL USA
  3. oldMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2001

Yeah... maybe if it was a PC I could afford both! *rib*rib*

But come on, we're talking about Apple's 30% profit margins here...
  4. abe macrumors member

Jan 8, 2002
    That's what we had to expect....

I think new G4 towers will be announced within the next 2 weeks. Configurations?

G4 (Apollo) 1.2 GHz
    256 MB 266 MHz DDR-RAM

G4 (Apollo) 1.4 GHz
    256 MB 266 MHz DDR-RAM

2x G4 (Apollo) 1.4 GHz
    512 MB 266 MHz DDR-RAM

All with quicksilver enclosure and GeForce 2MX as standard grafic cards.

New: BTO ATI new grafic cards.

Sounds reasonable to me ...
  5. Unregistered Guest

I'm sick of you people making predictions when you have no basis to make them.
  6. oldMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2001
    me too...

I'm sick of people "making predictions" by saying that the G5 is around the corner or "any day now" when all indications from Motorola, including information on their Web site, articles in trade journals, etc. indicate that the G5 probably won't even sample until this summer.

Quit disappointing yourself.

End of August is the most reasonable prediction that can be made given the evidence.
  7. networkman macrumors regular

Jan 1, 2002
    california, usa
    re: g5 in august we have a lot to digest with the new imac and cool new 14 inch ibook

speed bumps on the pro stuff will be our next thing and that will be our 1 ghz party
  8. Six macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2002
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Everyone has the right to dream, but it is true that many people make predicitions without any basis. I'd love to see G5 next week too, and I'm trying my best not to get my hopes up..
  9. mischief macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2001
    Santa Cruz Ca
    Uh dude?

We were just coming to the conclusion that Apollo will be out "soon" and G5 is somewhere out there in R&D land. It looks as if the tower line will change for Seybold (Apple reliably ends it's specials within days of a Rev).

Logical conclusion: Apollo G4's may appear at Seybold.

Secondarily: As Apollo is a significantly different chip to current designs in power handling and heat generation, Apple may take the oppertunity for a new Motherboard.

Honestly I think we're maintaining better focus than I've ever seen on a Forum.:p
  10. britboy macrumors 68030

Nov 4, 2001
    Kent, UK
    Not a prediction, just an opinion

everyone has the right to dream, agreed. But doesn't it seem just a little bit strange to expect something close to a doubling of the cpu speed with the next speed bump? Seriously, since when has apple, or any chip maker, ever done that? 1.4 GHz DP would be a dream, but just doesn't seem likely to me.
  11. networkman macrumors regular

Jan 1, 2002
    california, usa
    i think many of us realize that the imac has stut up the critics for awhile since it is a redesign, but whether it sells is up to the consumers

btw, mischief, congrats on passing you can tell everybody on pacific...they will beat their congos for you and the foot patrol cops will go ape
  12. samy85114 macrumors regular

Dec 20, 2001
    And what about prices? Is it much more expensive than right now...?

And finally, Can we trust these configurations or is it just speculation???
  13. BurntCalc macrumors member

Jan 2, 2002
    Re: me too...

The G5's have been sampling for several months now. Where do you get your information from? Obviously not the trade journals. G5 is already out, it's just not feature-complete enough for an Apple desktop. :eek:
  14. AndreHAL macrumors newbie

Sep 3, 2001
    8540, think it's closely related to the G5?

Motorola MPC8540

e500 "Book E" Processor 600MHz - 1GHz
    256KByte On-chip L2
    128Gb/s On-chip Fabric
    333MHz DDR Memory Controller
    Advanced I/O Ports

64b PCI-X
    dual 10/100/Gbit Ethernet
    General Purpose parallel I/O port

4-Channel DMA
    Interrupt Controller (8 discreet or 16 serial)
    DUART Serial Interface
    Modular Design

I've heard the G5 is supposed to be a book e processor.....
  15. abe macrumors member

Jan 8, 2002

These configurations are just what I guess Apple will soon release. Let's see if I was right. You ask about the prices, interesting question. May be the new towers will start where the iMac end, so price may be similar the the actual pro prices:

iMac ... $1799

pro "fast" $ 1699
    pro "faster $ 2499
    pro "fastest $ 3499

hmmm makes sense ....