No G5's until (late) 2003

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, Jun 21, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    MacBidouille posted a rumor regarding the G5. English translation is provided by Sammy:

- Jaguar server will make it possible to netBoot os X and remote administration.
    - the factory which will manufacture new the G5 microprocessor will be in Grenoble. It is not finished yet.
    - G5 will not even be available until the end of 2003, on the other hand it really exists and runs reliably. The manufacturing is, however, not very reliable in terms of loss and is too expensive for the moment.
    - G4s will evolve -- but very little -- it is motherboards using Hypertransport (that of Xserve) and cache systems which will evolve.
    - the new models of motherboards do not support os 9, it is thus finished definitively on the next machines.
    - the core following of jaguar will be clusterisable on the system level... one then supposes a very evolutionary machine out of turn of xServe. (On a standard 42u rack, 39 Xserve dual 1Ghz machines and an xserve Raid with 1,68 To, using only one screen)
    - For the first time of the history of Apple, a standard machine is made with recycled materials (Aluminum, etc) (??? not sure of this translation ???)
    - The system composes of a main server and a slave server. The xServe slave autoswitchs to a Master, (in the event of breakdown of the Master), reswitches automatically when the solution of the breakdown is found! the user sees nothing there, only the administrator receives a message of breakdown of the first server.

Thanks to Sammy for the translation.
  2. macrumors newbie

Jan 6, 2002
    French Translations

"-Pour la première fois de l'histoire d'Apple, une machine est fournie en standard avec des pièces de rechanges (alim., ...)"

For the first time in the hostory of Apple, a manchine created out of standard recycleable parts (aluminum, ...)

3. macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Well, I guess I won't need Babelfish ever again...I'll just ask tweedy to translate! :cool:

I am now getting concerned about what will happen w/the G4. What if there were 1.2GHz G4s for New York, 1.4GHz for SF2003, and more slower increments to follow?

I think Apple needs to take much bigger jumps than 200MHz every six months, since it doesn't seem to be very impressive. Think about it: If in early 2003 the fastest we have will be 1.4GHz, then that means Apple needs to catch up IMO.

As for no G5s, this most likely means G4s for New York. But I was expecting G5s for San Fransisco.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jun 12, 2002
    Where the air is crisp
    and the correct translation is...

not sure if tweedy is just making fun of the tranlation or translating wrong...but here is the correct translation:

"For the first time in the history of Apple, a machine comes standard with spare parts (power supply,...)"

5. macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    All right. Now you guys got me confused.

tweety, I'll admit I know nothing about French, but I do know how to use Babelfish.

The translation from the website states plain and simple: "For the first time of the history of APPLE, a machine is provided out of standard with spare parts (alim....)"

6. macrumors member

Apr 9, 2002

Well, I am not an expert in french either, but I trust babelfish about as far as I can throw it. It is close on getting the GENERAL meaning, but it has big problems, especially with tech stuff. Try converting something from english to german, and then it's german back to english. You would think it would be close, but sometime is can be quite funny!

I wonder if what they are trying to say is that a new model is going to use common swappable modules. I am not sure how the tech would work for this, but maybe a case countain 12x module slots. you would need a min of 1 general, 1 power, 1 storage, 1 graphic. but then if you need more disk, just plug in another module, another cpu etc. Some people need a mcahine with gobs of cpu power, others need alot of disk, others need screaming video. If you have cash, get a ton of all of them. It's a long shot, but I think it is a cool idea, and Apple is good at making cool ideas practical...And from the EE background I have, I think this could be done is a practical and cost effective (as macs go) manner.
  7. macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well, at least Apple is focused on more than just processor speeds, but I hope that they will be able to upgrade their motherboards and OS so that they compare with the wintel boxes until G5's are available.

Apple is smart by focusing on more than just the processor, because the intel world will soon run into a brick wall with their x86 architecture, and I don't think that their itanium processors are very fast.

I'm just wondering how fast the G4 will go before it is discontinued. It's funny. I found an old web page that said that when the G4 was introduced, it would be well over 1 ghz...

I just hope the G5 on a souped-up motherboard will kick pee-cee @$$...
  8. macrumors 6502

Jun 18, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    If Jeremy is correct, this is some huge news. New machines won't support OS 9, is a huge step. I know that Steve Jobs was saying that OS 9 was done, but this seems fairly soon and abrupt.

9. macrumors member

Jul 26, 2001
    Well, think about it this way...OS X is HOW old? It's been out for well over a year and people STILL aren't using it. Apple is transcending to the magical land of OS X and Steve Jobs is not one who likes to leave a gray area (some people using 9, some using X). Think about what Apple has done in the past... No floppy drives... no serial ports... no standard connectors on their LCD displays :)

I, for one, think this is great as I have been pushing everyone I know to use X. The only reason I, and the people I work with, have 9 installed on their machines is because of Pro Tools. However, the (probably carbonized) software is in beta and should be released within months.

Besides, I don't think this move to go X-only in the next-rev of power macs is NEARLY as dramatic as having a funeral procession for OS 9 at WWDC. :D
  10. macrumors newbie

Apr 14, 2002
    Continued slow sales

No OS9 on new machines + No Quark for OSX = No new sales to printers until 2003?! Seems for every step forward, Apple takes another towards oblivion.
  11. macrumors 6502a

Jun 12, 2002
    Where the air is crisp
    trust ME on the translation what the French wording says is that when you buy a machine, it will come with extra parts in case something breaks...sounds like some server maintenance thing.

'alim.' stands for 'alimentation' which is the French word for powersuppy. See, you might even learn something :p

Regarding the G5: I sure hope they will boost the G4, or are they gonna start putting multiple processors into all new machines ? If you go to and check out their rendering benchmark for Maya, you will notice that macs are waaaaaaaay behind the fastest intel/amd machines. Ok, maybe Maya is not fully optimized (it only uses one processor), but even if it was twice as fast it would not make it very far. If Apple wants to push into the 3D market, they will have to come up with something... I am sure they will ;)
  12. macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2002
    ya...if they cut OS 9 support now, they've got over a year of turmoil before everything gets sorted out on the app side and the G5 comes out. cutting out OS9 is really going to alienate the graphics community. just because PS7 is out for X doesnt mean that everything is ok now. epson is yet to put out satisfactory drivers that offer proper color support, and PS 7 needs filters now like crack addict with no money. and although from what I've seen indesign seems a lot better than quark, that point is quite valid.

at least this wont be much of a problem for converts......

and it fits in with job's comment that they will catch up with intel in late 2003...lets hope so :(
  13. macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Digital Video is the new Core Market

Frankly everything is going to Digital Video at Apple it seems.

I lost count of the number of digital video software companies has purchased so far. This doesn't include hardware companies that were swallowed up as well.

Microsoft is going after Enterprise and Manufacturing while Apple is chasing Education and pouring itself into Digital Video/Film full tilt.

Losing a handful of print shops for a bit while picking up high margin digital video shops, I think Apple can live with that.

Frankly its up to Quark to get onto OS X as well as printer cos, not Apple. The OS has been out for a long time and we have two developer conferences behind OS X too. The train has left the station, Quark is running late.
  14. macrumors 6502a

Jun 12, 2002
    Where the air is crisp
  15. macrumors newbie

Jun 21, 2002
    Lake Park, Iowa
    G5...Apple Thinking Different?

Okay...I have to say this, even if I get laughed at.

I heard (I don't know where) that the G5 would use a positive ground, rather than negative, and thus would apply a rule of physics in which the chip would actually run cold rather than hot.

Please...tell me either that I am wrong, or that we are in for a helluva ride.
    (retarded) (super-fast hertz)

I doubt something this big could be overlooked, but is it possible?
  16. macrumors 6502

Feb 26, 2002
    Fort Myers, FL
    I want to move to X, but...

I'm using OS X full time now at home, but at work it's another story. For the past few years we've been using a server running Novell Netware 3.x (?) with Appletalk to transfer graphics to a really old DOS based video still-store. I've just started testing OS X at work on our Dual G4/500, and it won't talk to the old Novell server.

One solution from our IS guy is to replace the Novell server with a Win2K machine.

What I want to try is to get a Linux PPC Novell client running under OS X. has a thread talking about this, but I've not heard of anyone getting it to work yet. I don't know if anyone has even tried.

Any ideas?

(The other thing I'm not happy about it Wacom not providing support for 2 year old Intuos Serial tablet. :p )
  17. macrumors newbie

Jun 22, 2002
    Mac OS X still not sufficient

Just because Mac OS X has beenout for a year doesn't mean it's time to yank Mac OS 9. Frankly, I'm not satisfied with the currently release of X to make it my main system. Length of time has nothing to do with whether Mac OS 9 support should be dropped or not. The quality of Mac OS X has everything to do with it.

The interface remains flawed, and there are various foibles still with the system. I don't want to use it for my primary system at this point.

I think Jaguar may well mark the point where it is good enough to use as my regular system. I have to play with it, but I am optimistic that is it. I don't think everything is fixed, but enough might be. I still want to see more changes to the interface (including not having multiple windows for the same folder popping up. How stupid is that, anyway?)

Just because it's Apple, just because Steve said so... these are not reasons to do anything. Apple users need to be as demanding as we ever were. That is part of why Apple products, and third software and hardware, tend to be superior to Windows products and are better able to crossover. Apple users demand higher quality, and they get it.
  18. macrumors 68030

May 7, 2002
    2 Much Infinite Loops

I hope this would stop the G5 threads popping up every 4 days. :D

Well this would stop the "I WANT MY G5 RIGHT NOW!" threads too. :)
  19. macrumors member

May 19, 2002
    OS X is my main and only system

Really, I don't see a problem getting rid of OS 9. Right now I don't even have it on my computer, OS X only baby. Of course I've had to make a few adjustments, but I'm enjoying things, and hardly ever have a problem. However, making machines that won't run 9 would seem strange to me. If I were apple I'd say, "well you can run 9 but don't expect much support or anything new coming out for it." If someone wants to buy a computer, who cares how they use it, or what they run on it. Personally, I'm committed to OS X now, and am looking forward to Jaguar. Of course at work I'm still on older computers that run 9 or even 8.6, which can be annoying, but everything is usable, I just which corporate would upgrade photoshop because running at 5.5 is ridiculous. At the other place I work we switched to X but have to go to classic a lot. That's mostly the fault of managment buying software (I really dislike PageMaker 7) without consulting someone who really knows what is going on. Still I think Apple will just discontinue software support for 9, persuading more users to upgrade. They have already said no more updates to Final Cut Pro for 9, there is no classic version of iPhoto, and I think the same will hold true for all new digital hub apps and updates. Other companies are also abandoning 9. Microsoft has stated new Explorer updates will be X only, and so will Office. Expect more companies to do so. Why Quark is lagging behind beats me, but they are making a mistake not to get a carbon version out ASAP. That's my rant, flame me.
  20. macrumors 6502a

Nov 30, 2001
    This rumor is silly. It's the only rumor that says the G4 will not evolve, when we know it will. And why the **** would a Power Mac come with spare parts??????? Changing the power supply would void warranty. This is something Apple does not want the regular Joe to do. Either this rumor applies to the XServe ONLY, or the author of this rumor is plain stupid....
  21. macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    I'd be most surprised if this rumor was true....... I still reckon the G5 will be out at MWSF 03........... the G4 still has a lot of potential left in it's life....... atleast 2 years in the iMac G4 and the iBook....... so I would guess it's still got alot of scalability left in it's design.

Maybe Apple does have quite a bid speed increase waiting for us at MWNY if the G5 is going to delayed though.......

For people worrying about Quark..... why not try Adobe Indesign... it's a far superior product for print design...... it's super intuitive, interfaces with Adobes products such as Photoshp and Illustrator 1000x better than Quark.... and can open Quark docs....... I'd never go back to Quark...... :) and it's antiquated software. :D
  22. macrumors 6502

*IF* these rumors are true...

...I may give up on the Mac platform. Unless the mobo improvements (hypertransport, DDR-RAM, etc.) make up for the lack of processor evolution, I can see no reason to stick with the platform.

I have no desire to leave the Mac experience. I have no desire to drop OS X or any of my favorite Mac apps & applets. I sincerely hope this rumor is bull. But coming out with hardware that is increasingly behind, not coming out with a revolutionary new chip for another 2 years, and even then one that will probably be a year or so behind the competition STILL, I just do not see the reason anymore for calling myself a Mac fan (well, I'll always be a Mac fan, just no longer a Mac user... *sigh*).

I consider myself a power user. I edit video, study 3D apps at home, on rare occasions take 3D work home, etc. I need more than a machine that's half as fast for 50% more money than its x86 competition, especially when the 3D apps I use run better (or even exclusively) on that x86 hardware.

Apple, do something about this. Stop farting around and do something. Start a line with AMD processors. Buy out Motorola's semiconductor unit (you're buying everyone else out). But do something. You know, that bugs me now that I think about it. Apple's concerned more about locking up the video market by shear default rather than providing machines that in real-world tests kick the crap out of (or at least keep pace with) their competition.

I hope I'm getting upset over nothing and that this rumor is just that.

Okay, my rant's over. Flame me. Tell me that I'm really a PC user in disguise or that I should just buy a PC and get out of these fora. But at least make the flames fresh & entertaining. I'm tired of the same old nonsense.
  23. macrumors newbie

Jan 5, 2002

It means SPARE PARTS, it has nothing to do with recycling.
    PARTES DE RECAMBIO, PEZZI DI RICAMBIO, PIECE DE RECHANGE, SPARE PARTS in Spanish, Italian, French, and English. Clear enough?

Also, aluminum (English) is aluminum (French), same spelling, so alim. does not mean that! It means alimenteur = power supply
    (from alimenter = to feed, and in this case to feed a machine with power)

I am fluent in Italian, English, Spanish and French, and I've tried Babelfish with all these languages... all I can say is that it's good for a laugh when you've got nothing to do, or else to translate lists of words, or to get a general idea of what a page is about. But don't trust it for the details. TRUST HUMAN BRAIN FOR THE DETAILS. For subtle meaning issues Babelfish sucks, just as any form of automatic translation, because the system tends to translate one word at a time, so that long expression, sayings, etcs. don't stand the ghost of a chance of making it to the other language....

But then again if some narrow-minded people decide to trust the machine just because "it's a computer so what it does is always right", well good luck waiting for your Recycled Macintosh.... Good god, how can people even think that a machine is 100% true and correct all the time! Get a copy of 1984 or watch 2001 a Space Odissey for god's sake.
  24. macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Re: *IF* these rumors are true...

Man have you've got issues....... :p
  25. macrumors regular

Apr 19, 2002
    Personally I wouldn't be surprised to find out that HyperTransport ie faster front bus speeds, combined with a G4 PPC would be much much faster than an equivalent x86 chip.

For the longest time we Mac users have been using machines with processors whose potential has been largely untapped due to the lack of thsi front side bus bottleneck.

It seems that the x86 crowd has been evangelizing the speed of their chips while silently congratulating themselves on having achieved this faster bus technology which makes their 'HyperClocked' chip technology appear to be a faster processor when in reality it is merely an adequate chip matched with a really nice hardware connector.

There is a lot of evidence that points to this, no quotes here but think about it.

Why has it taken soooo long for PPC to integrate faster front bus speeds? Why is x86 at like 400mhz now and PPC is still at 133mhz?

It's got to be architecture issues. Intel/AMD decided to put more effort into getting what their chips could do out faster, instead of actually doing the processing faster... hence faster clock speeds and subsequently the need for a faster bus. PPC/IBM/Moto decided to do more with their CPU cycles and then send out more information at slower bus speeds = early gains but long term losses.

We all know about the mhz myth... this makes sense. Soooo when the PPC can finally do more processing per cycle and then transfer that larger amount at faster speeds, will it catch up with the 'do less per cycle but push it out faster' x86?

I think it will. I think we'll all be surprised when the benchmarks for G4's using HyperTransport at 266 or 333 mhz appear.

Not to mention finally getting support for DDR RAM at 266 mhz speeds as well.