No Gamepad support for Halo - Legal issue ?

Discussion in 'Games' started by imac_japan, Jun 30, 2004.

1. imac_japan macrumors member

imac_japan

I bought Halo and I tried to use my game pad with it..
    Then I found out that Macsoft didnt bother to wirte gamepad support into Halo.

I just wondering - if there is a legal challenge here. I bought Halo expecting it to be with Gamepad support. It says in to manual that you can use the gamepad. There is nowhere to suggest that you cant play it with a gamepad

I love the Game but come on guys (at Macsoft) if you cant play Halo with a gamepad - please put it on the box !! Most people played it on the X-box and Im sure want to same experience.

2. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Why would you want to play a fps with a controller? Keyboards give you much more control.
    But to answer your question you don't need the game to support it, their are some programs that let you map key commands to specific buttons on the controller. Meaning you tell the program that the up key on the controller should be mapped to the "e" key, and down mapped to the "s" key so on and so forth. These apps really come in handy for emulators. and they work rather well.

I am too lazy to go searching for it, but search version tracker for "game pad" or something like that. But I bet someone here will know the exact app of witch I speak, and will be able to point you towards it.

3. cubist macrumors 68020

I got the LikSang gizmo that lets you use Playstation controllers on the Mac (and PC) from a recommendation here on MR. It works great. The game controller maps to keys and mouse movements. There's a control panel you need to download. Now I notice that Radio Shack has started selling a similar gizmo.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Which control panel do you use with your PS2 controller?

5. imac_japan thread starter macrumors member

imac_japan

Thanks for all the help ! I'll try the program...

I played Halo using the keyboard and mouse but I still think that gamepads are much better to use. Sorry - Ive played too many console systems......

I emailed Macsoft about fact that nowhere on the box does it say "gamepads not supported"...and they didn't reply so I'll email again to see if they reply.

Halo is a great game but Macsoft should have included gamepad support !

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Unless it says that gamepads are supported, you won't get anywhere.

7. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Is this thread for real?

I think you'd have a better chance for a "lawsuit" from the lack of co-op mode, lol.

Seriously, if you want to play it with a gamepad, get an Xbox. IMHO the game feels better on the Xbox anyways... or that could just be the poor FPS the game gets on my mac.

8. benpatient macrumors 68000

it is. Try this: Run 640x480 WINDOWED mode.

that's the only way i can make 3d games run and not crash my dual 1.8...only some games will work that way for me, also, so i end up not able to play most games at all...but halo works now, as long as i don't want to play it full screen. 640x480 on a 22" 1600x1200 LCD isn't amazing, but at least the game runs how it was supposed to with regards to framerate, with medium details (ugh). I guess i could lower the resolution to 1024x768 and deal with the blurriness (hey, free FSAA!) from the LCD in non-native resolution, but it doesn't matter that much.

even in a 4" window, the game is more playable on a computer than on the xBox, simply because of the mouse and keyboard...

I own a PS2 because there are games on it i can't play otherwise. Racing games are usually more workable with a controller or wheel, so console racing games are OK, except for the bunk resolution.

favorite racing game has always been NFS: Porsche Unleashed. I can turn all the details up and still get well over 100 FPS at 1600x1200 and FSAA turned on on my PC, so it actually looks pretty good, even several years after release. The textures are not up to modern snuff, and it's begging for some particle effects and pixel shaders, but overall, still my favorite racing game.

I did have a brief affair with PGR2 on xbox, but it gets too hard too fast, much like GT3 did, and i find myself bored. NFS: PU's hardest levels are extremely hard, but there is at least a build-up to that difficulty. If you've never played that game, i encourage you to. You'll be very frustrated and fascinated with the start of the game, where you're driving 80hp sports cars from the 50s that can barely reach 100 mph...they're extremely fun to drive even so, and are hard to describe...

anyway, rambling off topic.

controller support in halo on a computer is defeating the primary purpose of the port.

controllers and FPS's have always been an awkward pairing, and there is never going to be a controller that changes this.

9. imac_japan thread starter macrumors member

imac_japan

Yes it is....If a game states in the manual that you can use gamepads then you should be able to use them. I stuffed around for ages trying to get mine to work then I found out that the game doesn't support them.

I played it on the X-box and expected it to have gamepad support...Is it to much to ask for ???

I mean Macsoft complain that millions of people downloaded Halo for free...well, I bought my copy and while its a great game and I have alot of fun, I was disappointed by the lack of gamepad support.

If they want people to buy their games, well we should have all the features...

Im not concerned about FPS and framerates - Halo plays well on my new ibook.