No Garageband on Panther System Restore

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by UKnjb, Mar 8, 2006.

1. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Hello!
    Stupid question, maybe, but I have had to re-install OS X (Panther) on my Powermac G4. Don't have the original installation disk(s) - please don't ask why not, it is too embarrassing - and Apple gave me two system restore disks (don't know the difference between Installation and Restore). I have just noticed that Garageband is not present on the newly installed system. Isn't it bundled in with OS X and ------ does anybody have any ideas on how I might extract it from wherever?
    Thanks for any help, in advance.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It's not bundled within OS X since it's part of iLife. On your original System Restore discs, it would be present as Additional Software along with any other software Apple had installed. I'm not sure whether the new discs which Apple gave you would have that or just the basic OS.

One thing to consider in future is whethere a full clean re-install is needed or whether an Archive & Install (which keeps your settings and applications intact but reinstalls the system) might work.

3. UKnjb thread starter macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Hmmmm. Thanks for the info. Bummer that iLife is not on the Restore disk that Apple gave me; only the basic system OS X. FYI, I had to jump through hoops (in the UK) to even get the replacement Restore disk; I was initially told that they do not supply replacement Install disks. And it took four different referral phone calls to get someone who took the trouble to track the info down that I COULD get replacement restore disks, and then happily told me that there would be no charge. Which was good. So, I cannot get iLife unless I upgrade to Tiger?

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Tiger won't make any difference since iLife isn't in the OS. Try getting Pacifist (search on versiontracker) and have a look on those restore discs just in case there's some additional software in there that you're not seeing initially.

You can buy iLife separately for £55. It's currently iLife 06 which was released in January this year but which has newer version of all the apps, including Garageband. It will work on Panther or Tiger. If you look around, you might be able to find a cheaper copy of iLife 05 since those who have bought iLife 06 have no use for it.

5. UKnjb thread starter macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Thanks again for your help. After your last reply, I did look in the Restore disk 1 and there is only the basic OS package - no extras, not even in hidden files/folders. Restore disk 2 contains .pdf details of restoring the system in umpteen different languages.
    Had a look at Pacifist, downloaded from VersionTracker (thanks for that piece of info) and am going into my Powerbook install disk to see if I can get it from that.
    Your kindness is appreciated.

Top Tip Applespider!!!!! That worked just so brilliantly! And thanks to Charles Srstka (engineer of Pacifist). Installed and up-dated and everything tickety boo. Never mind Demi-Goddess, you should be whatever the female Supra euqivalent of Zeus is. Thanks again.

6. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

(i think he's flirting with you, but with language like that, who knows.)

7. UKnjb thread starter macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Nope ---- neither flirting nor any other thing. Except being very very grateful (after having been frustrated with Apple, my own ignorance and having wasted half a day) to someone who sorted my problem and introduced me to another really neat app.
    Is there a problem with my language? Not sure what you mean by that.

8. hound macrumors newbie

UKnjb, I'm a couple years behind you on this problem, but do you happen to remember where you found Garageband on the Powerbook install DVD? I have mine loaded and am running Pacifist, but can't seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated!