No gas left....thanks Rita!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Metatron, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

I hate this, I just got a call from my friend who works in the oil field. The only gas left in East Texas is Supreme and that is going quick. And I should feel fortunate. There is no gas left in southern Texas. Damn you Rita, as if waiting in line 1 hour for gas is not bad enough, I will have to buy the $3/gallon gas.

2. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

3 bucks a gallon, damn yours is cheap.

3. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I was thinking the same thing.

4. Metatron thread starter macrumors 6502

Metatron

What is the price where you are at?

Ours was 2.44/gallon yesterday for regular, now it is 2.75 for regular and 3.10/supreme.

5. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

Supreme has been 3.01 for going on a week and a half here in Portland, Oregon, next to my house...

6. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

7. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

I think that you havin to pay more for gas is secondary to all of the damaged and screwed up lives that Rita may cause...also $3 a gallon is about average

8. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

When it comes down to it, we all still have to buy the gas anyway, so, for me, it's an annoyance, but something that has to be done anyway. I'm just glad my 20 year old car still gets 33+ mpg. :D

9. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

The higher the gas prices go, the more incentive there is to conserve it and find alternatives to it. Not only do we power our transportation devices with gas but we use it to make plastics and other vital materials. Sure there might be short term negatives to a high gas price but the long term positives are definitely worth it.

Not to mention that the price down under has been at $4.30 a gallon for 3 months now and is only continuing to go up.

Sure a hurricane or two is a bad way of forcing us off gas but it just shows how reliant we are on it. Hopefully not many lives are lost this time around.

10. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

after katrina gas here in the atlanta suburbs was between $3-5 and we ran out for a while

11. Metatron thread starter macrumors 6502

Metatron

don't get me wrong...I feel for the people, I have two friends bringing there families from houston to stay with me this weekend. They left over 12 hours ago and are not even a 10th of the way here.

But in the mean time, have no gas sucks because by the time I leave work I will not have to worry about 3 dollar gas cause there will be none.

12. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

The pipelines affected by Katrina were those going to fl and up to nc/va. We had gas go up $.89 in one day. Then we started running out.

I heard that the central US will be affected the same as the Southeast was with the arrival of rita.

Sounds like a rough fall and winter.

When I had my house built I specified electric heat pump while everyone else in the area has natural gas. Why you ask? Because you can make electricity from many sources, but natural gas is only natural gas, and it looks like it will be very expensive this year, now that the Galveston area is getting wacked.

13. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Wonderful :rolleyes:. Katrina made our gas jump about $0.60 to the point where it was actually above the national average (something that almost never happens here).

14. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Where are you in Texas? I'm supposed to leave for Dallas at 8am in the morning. I'm driving.

Is there going to be gas?

15. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

So I guess you live somewhere in the middle?

16. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Same here. Got up to $3.79 right after Katrina.

17. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Indeed: corn-country Iowa. Fortunately the worst we have to worry about here is floods, tornadoes, and snow/ice storms. Just checked the local station and gas is already up $0.17 from pre-Rita levels.

18. Metatron thread starter macrumors 6502

Metatron

Who knows...I heard that there where lines of people following the gas trucks to stations so that right after they refilled them they were in line to get gas. I live in Palestine, Texas. I am in Tyler right now and all my friends and coworkers have told me as of 7 tonight only 3 stations has gas left and that cars were backed up for blocks in line.

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I had planned on filling up on Monday but decided to do so today. I know, I know, it's people like me who contribute to the rising costs but, I drive a Civic that gets 39 mpg and a tank lasts about a month so I don't feel all that bad about it. It's those who drive mini tanks that should be feeling remorse.

20. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Gah, I can't decide what to do.

I'm supposed to see Coldplay tomorrow night in Dallas at 7pm. I drive a Jetta, and SHOULD be able to make it there and back on one tank, but I'm not toally sure.

Seems like a pretty big risk to take.

21. Trowaman macrumors 6502a

Trowaman

I'm in Glaveston county and last I checked our store said . . . closed.

But yesterday it was $2.64-70

I luckily have a full tank and am probably out of here in the next 6 hours. Right now Galveston is "safe" west side and all, but if that thing moves at all we get the eye.

I need sleep.

22. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

Just grab a 5 gallon gas tank at the local hardware store (or on the way if there aren't any open between 10pm and 8am) and fill it up before you go. in a Jetta, that should give you a good 150 mile buffer.

23. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

That was one of the nice things about living in Texas.....cheap gas. Same for Wyoming. Now it's $3.25 :mad:
    I can't complain too much, I've had the same tank for 6 weeks since I've been biking everywhere. Now it's like I get 100mpg :D

24. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

its been 3 or so dollars for regular at the cheapest location.....

just filled my explorer (yeah i know great car to be driving now :rolleyes: ) today to get the tank full because there are rumors going around that gas will be over 5 bucks this weekend due to this new hurricane.

I put in about four gallons for a little over 13 bucks.

Gonna be riding a bike soon....

25. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

It's not quite so bad here yet...hovering around $2.59/gal for ethanol. Went as high as $3.09 during Katrina. Cheaper, but still not at a level I'd prefer. 'Course I'm still of the mindset that anything more than about ~$1.40/gal is too expensive. :p