No gay priests?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Sep 22, 2005.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9436430/

I can understand not allowing pedophiles, but this is just silly. Especially if they remain celibate, because they haven't broken any "rules". Besides, isn't this what gay catholics have to do, because they feel guilty about being who they are? Just to point out, not all religions are this bad. Some of us actually follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. :rolleyes:

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

This is obviously turning out to be the "gay" decade.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Possibly because it intimately touches on so many issues from human rights to genetics through to religion — forcing people to reappraise their attitudes towards their family members, friends and colleagues and so outwards to the very institutions of state.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

How can you tell if a celibate priest is homosexual? Why would you care?

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

There's a really filthy punchline to that question.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I was relying on you to provide it.

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Father, is that an aspergillum in your vestments, or are you just happy to see me?

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Have mercy; just don't go on to the "green pastures" part.

10. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Well then who are they going to get to be priests?

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Or the "let's beat the s*** out of gays" decade.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If this exacerbates the existing dearth of men wanting to join the priesthood, and disgusts gay laity so much that they turn their backs on their faith, well...it'll be exactly what the Catholic Church deserves.

And that's coming from a Catholic.

They don't wanna let priests marry, and they don't want gays either.

Duh. :mad:

13. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

As a protestant, I somewhat agree with you. I think they should allow priests to marry. But I know thats up to the Vatican. If you're a Catholic, what the Pope says goes. That's how it works. If you don't like it, don't be a Catholic. The Catholic Church is not a democracy.

But it shouldn't be any surprise that openly gay men aren't allowed to be priests. The official teaching of the Catholic Church is that homosexuality is a sin. You can't willing disobey the teaching of the Church. I'm not Catholic and it doesn't seem that difficult to understand.

14. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

My religion class was talking about this today and my teacher said that the current gay priest are allowed to stay priest, but gays who want to become a priest will no longer be allowed to become a priest. Before becoming a priest, they interview them, and it is a sin, or against God to lie, and in this interview you have to say if your gay. Does that make sence???

15. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Yes, it does make sense. See my post above yours. I do admit it is a bit of a double-standard to allow current gay priests to stay, but you can't blame them for starting to follow the teachings of their church.

16. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I thought that Catholics believe that homosexual acts are a sin, not being a homosexual (which they don't believe is truly possible anyway). Accordingly, if a priest is celibate, he's not a homosexual. What's the problem?

I think that this policy has no moral basis in Catholic ideas, and is just a practical move based on the misguided and prejudiced belief that all pedophiles are homosexuals (and vice versa).

17. iGary Guest

iGary

Who cares, it is their church, let them do what they want.

If you don't like your religion, you are free to switch, or worship on your own.

18. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Sort of. It can be pretty difficult if everyone else in your family/town/country is a member. These things seem to have a strong ability to perpetuate themselves well beyond their seeming draw.

19. takao macrumors 68040

takao

AFAIK it's correct

it hasn't catched the news over here where most people are catholic, so you can imagine for which country this was made especially ;)

20. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

This is where us protestants come in. Pope's were so corrupt back in the day that reasonable people began to realized the inconsistencies in behavior/judgement. Judgement being the key word here. There are many denominations within the Christian Church with gay priests/pastors/ministers, whether the churches know it or not.

What upsets me is that all these years there have been wonderful men and women with a strong sense of call to go to respective seminaries to become leaders in their churches. Now, all of the sudden, we have to ask them every minute detail on their lives so some people don't live in fear of them. This forces people to either lie, or not serve the church in the capacity to which they feel called.

People sure do have a lot of gall to presume their ability to judge.

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

If I ever got the call to Holy Orders I'd refuse to answer a pointed question about my sexuality. And I'm just straight as can be. It is a factor that is beyond insignificant in light of the path on which one would be about to embark.

22. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

totally agreed. and catholic.

this is just stupid..

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

To my discredit, I notice I neglected to mention the other issue the Church has a problem with: women.

So. No women priests. No married priests. No gays.

Yeah, there's a recipe for success.

With regards to what others said above, believe me, the more of this stuff they pull, the more they're pushing me away.

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

agreed thomas

and they wonder why they have a problem recruiting priests.

i know at least one priest who is pushing for married priests... of course he's also one that sends around email forwards of dirty jokes, so who knows. hah

25. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

A few years ago I was at mass and the priest told a story during the homily (sermon) that went along these lines :

A large storm was headed into town and the police stopped by to try to evacuate a person's house. The person told the police, "Don't worry about me, God will take care of me, go help others."

As the city began to flood and this person moved to the second floor of his house, the fire department came by via a small boat. Once again the person replied, "Don't worry about me, God will take care of me, go help others."

The flood waters continued to rise and while he was on his roof the coast guard came by in a helicopter. Once again the reply was, "Don't worry about me, God will take care of me, go help others."

The waters further rose and the person drowned. Once in heaven the person asked God, "Why didn't you save me?"

God replied, "Who do you think sent the Police, Fire Department, and Coast Guard?"

Now every time I go to mass (which isn't all that often) they end mass with the prayer for vocation, and every time I sit there and think, God gave us the answers (women, allowing priests to marry, now homosexuals), why don't we use them?