no glass = scratches?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by joshwithachance, Nov 3, 2010.

1. macrumors 65816

joshwithachance

I was thinking about possibly selling my MacBook Pro and purchasing the 11.6-inch Air because I'm a college student who doesn't need much more than word processing, web browsing, iTunes, and portability. But I hear that the Airs don't have the glass covering of the Pro... Is the screen itself plastic or glass and does it scratch easily?

2. macrumors regular

There is no glass covering over the screen on the MBA, correct. I don't know how you could really scratch the screen on a laptop anyways? Do you put your laptop in a bag while it's open?

3. macrumors 68020

Kebabselector

Glass can scratch too, no glass means slightly less glare and best of all if you get a spot of dust you can remove it!

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

joshwithachance

I know it can scratch too, but it's far less likely to. my Pro still looks FLAWLESS after 7 months lol. I'm starting to think the Cons definitely outweigh the Pros with the MBA :(

5. macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Simply be careful, you don't have to baby it, just enjoy it... :)

6. macrumors demi-god

If you take all of the years that Apple's been selling notebooks, glass-covered screens are a relatively new feature.

"Scratching your screen" wasn't a concern that notebook buyers worried about before glass-covered screens came around. I never went out of my way to baby my notebooks, and the ones I had without glass-covered screens still looked FLAWLESS two years later.

One nice effect of a NON glass-covered screen is reduced glare.

7. macrumors 65816

ImperialX

My 2007 Polycarbonate MacBook didn't have glass, and it still has no scratches on the screen.

My 2010 iPad has glass, yes it already had a scratch within weeks after buying it.

Just my $0.02.

8. C64
    macrumors 6502a

C64

I have a 2006 Polycarbonate MacBook, and the screen is still 100% perfect without scratches. I clean it regularly too. So.. I as long as you're careful with it you'll be fine.

Another $0.02 :)