Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
If this doesn't scream "DRASTIC CHANGE !", I don't know what will.

They could only have made it clearer if they displayed flashing letters saying "drastic design change."

You have to go through a screen with the update notes before you can even upgrade the software.

OP obviously tunnel visioned straight to the "Download & Install" button without reading about the changes at all.

walkie

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
For threads like this one I still haven't upgraded to iOS7, still enjoying iOS6 :cool: that makes ALMOST everything I want and doesn't feel laggy, maybe someday I will upgrade.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Geez Louise! Just let this thread die. The OP can do whatever they like. Like their movement is going to go anywhere so.....

Geez Louise!

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
I'm starting a movement....
Here's hoping the OP doesn't strain himself while having his movement.
spoop_smileypooping_100-1042.gif

UnDholly

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2013
I like iOS 7 but something I dont understand.
For exmaple ... Why I cannot change options in control center ???
I mean I never use
-Do Not Disturb
-Timer

Also... for what need lighter or bluetooth ... ?

Who use this often ? I dont use this ****, but use often tumbler 3G because sometimes when I need fast internet I use 3G if dont need I just off... because battery not from rubber soo...everytime need open Settings > Cellular ...
Why Apple dont give facilities for change control panel how you want...

Really stupid decision ...

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
You're a long term Apple enthusiast but you claim you had "no warning of such drastic change". Seriously?

I agree Apple should allow users to roll back to previous versions if they wish, but you contradict yourself a little within two posts.

Despite the stupidly ironic or condescending replies to his plea, the OP DOES HAVE a point.

And why? Because the ordinary user, not used to participating in forums such as this nor having time to read long descriptions of what has been "improved", is prone to tapping a single button that then leads to the upgrade process in his own iDevice. Call it lack of attention, mistake, whatever - but one should still have the possibility to roll back.

In fact, this happened a couple of days ago with my father (decidedly not an IT-savvy person), who saw Apple's pop-up message for iOS7 and innocently tapped on it in his iPad, only to discover later that he had a totally new UI and so on. He is not exactly complaining about it; but the sheer number of changes (such as Safari page handling) makes for a considerable learning curve when it comes to people who are not used to pushing buttons.

Indeed, Apple has NEVER blocked the possibility for anyone to roll back OSs (on Macs) unless the device itself already came with whatever latest version of its OS (or depended on System Enablers in the case of earlier System versions). Apple's decision to stop signing iOS 6 is absolutely arbitrary and has nothing to do with security or compatibility concerns.

At the very least, they should allow customers to use the immediately preceding version of ANY OS (again, unless the device itself cannot use it). This possibility makes sense EVEN if someone is totally knowledgeable or aware of the upcoming changes, which can NEVER be totally perceived or understood until you are using the new OS yourself (the threads about "hidden" iOS7 features are just further evidence of that).

So yes, the OP definitely has my support on this principle.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Despite the stupidly ironic or condescending replies to his plea, the OP DOES HAVE a point.

And why? Because the ordinary user, not used to participating in forums such as this nor having time to read long descriptions of what has been "improved", is prone to tapping a single button that then leads to the upgrade process in his own iDevice. Call it lack of attention, mistake, whatever - but one should still have the possibility to roll back.

In fact, this happened a couple of days ago with my father (decidedly not an IT-savvy person), who saw Apple's pop-up message for iOS7 and innocently tapped on it in his iPad, only to discover later that he had a totally new UI and so on. He is not exactly complaining about it; but the sheer number of changes (such as Safari page handling) makes for a considerable learning curve when it comes to people who are not used to pushing buttons.

Indeed, Apple has NEVER blocked the possibility for anyone to roll back OSs (on Macs) unless the device itself already came with whatever latest version of its OS (or depended on System Enablers in the case of earlier System versions). Apple's decision to stop signing iOS 6 is absolutely arbitrary and has nothing to do with security or compatibility concerns.

At the very least, they should allow customers to use the immediately preceding version of ANY OS (again, unless the device itself cannot use it). This possibility makes sense EVEN if someone is totally knowledgeable or aware of the upcoming changes, which can NEVER be totally perceived or understood until you are using the new OS yourself (the threads about "hidden" iOS7 features are just further evidence of that).

I don't disagree with the premise, just the way he's going about it.

rider96

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Yes, Attack the op iinstead of supporting a simple request to allow the consumer to go back to a previous operating system.... Well I am not the only person out there that is furious about this. Many of you keep encouraging us to go to competitors products instead... Sadly that may be the only way to go....

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK

I wasn't being stupidly ironic or condescending, my point was serious. I fail to see how an Apple enthusiast (his words) would not know about this "drastic change".

And as for the rest of your post, I already said I believe Apple should allow users to roll back to the previous version. Well, they do ... but only for a few days until they stop signing the outgoing version.

In this case the OP had three days to update, try iOS 7, and simply restore back to iOS 6.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Yes, Attack the op iinstead of supporting a simple request to allow the consumer to go back to a previous operating system.... Well I am not the only person out there that is furious about this. Many of you keep encouraging us to go to competitors products instead... Sadly that may be the only way to go....

Like I said on the last page, there are plenty of phones you can buy on eBay that still have iOS 6 installed. That may be your only option

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I don't disagree with the premise, just the way he's going about it.

Exactly. Btw, when they bought the ip4, what version OS was on it? Bet it was not iOS 6 so they did not have a device to begin with the way it was bought unless they did not upgrade. And if they did not upgrade to 6, why 7? :)

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

No one is attacking you. You are being unreasonable.

Software gets updated, older versions become unsupported. I'm pretty sure this is in the license agreement you clicked 'Ok' to. You could take Apple to court over this matter of them "forcing" you to upgrade and you'd lose.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I wasn't being stupidly ironic or condescending, my point was serious. I fail to see how an Apple enthusiast (his words) would not know about this "drastic change".

And as for the rest of your post, I already said I believe Apple should allow users to roll back to the previous version. Well, they do ... but only for a few days until they stop signing the outgoing version.

In this case the OP had three days to update, try iOS 7, and simply restore back to iOS 6.

Just to be clear, I wasn't referring to your post specifically (just quoted it as a basis for my longer answer), but instead to the bunch of childish replies as if he were acting as a little communist agitator - his point is sound and his reaction totally understandable.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
It was not that way when I purchased it

Ok so again, why update? On every update I've seen there have been links to show what the update does. There are also descriptions of the update. Is Apple supposed to call 350 million people to explain what the update does to ensure you know?

burgerking2

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013
For the OP: can you summarize what it is exactly that you dislike about IOS7?

I do agree that it would be great for Apple to have offered a rollback option or at least a rollback window larger than just 2 days. Maybe keep the older signed version available until 7.1 for example, once some initial bugs and performance issues are addressed??

Even if you have been following all the news and media and Apple keynotes, you don't know exactly how the phone will feel and respond once you start using the newer version.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012

I find your complaint and your long time enthusiast remark odd. If you were a true enthusiast, you would have known about iOS 7 way before it was released. Why? Because you have an account on this rumor site that dates back to 2010. Not only that but even on Apple's website iOS 7 was/is plastered all over it. It was also all over various technology sites. A true Apple enthusiast would not be surprised about iOS 7 when it was officially released.

Regarding the rollback request, the option to roll back is actually detrimental to Apple and us consumers which should not be allowed. Why? Because you basically want to create the software fragmentation that Android users have to deal with all because YOU don't like it. I'm not even going to go into how problematic that is for developers and everyone else involved. I think you are being very selfish and short sighted. If you are unhappy, move on to another product.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
When it comes down to it, Android seems to be your best (and only) bet. Nobody else allows you to downgrade your mobile either. It's just not how it works. I'd suggest getting a new Nexus when it comes out.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Have you never heard of capital letters, punctuation and the difference between there and their?

Sorry for the rant.

Should be, "ever", instead of 'never'.
(There should also be a comma after the word, punctuation.)
If you're going to correct another member here, you should do so correctly.
:)

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

This is not a direct attack on your father - I do not know him, and I do not assume anything negative about him - this is more of a general statement:

I am surprised that someone that has accumulated wisdom over the years would not read even the 4 sentences that are on the same page (no extra clicking, no further looking for information) on the update page that says there was a redesign. There's even a "learn more" button right there. Even a younger, non-tech savvy person; Where has this world gone that we can't read a few sentences of information before updating the software on our phones..

There's only so much Apple can do, guys..They're not going to never update their software because it's a change from what it was previously, that's ridiculous. They give you all the necessary info right on the update page - it's even above the install and update option, designed for you to read (I mean come on, it's just a few sentences)..From there, someone could take a look at the front page of Apple's website to get an idea of what this update looks like without blindly updating.

I just don't see how Apple is at fault here - they update their software as they see fit. The information about it is available -right from the update screen without any further research, and you can then inquire further if you so desire.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Regarding the rollback request, the option to roll back is actually detrimental to Apple and us consumers which should not be allowed. Why? Because you basically want to create the software fragmentation that Android users have to deal with all because YOU don't like it. I'm not even going to go into how problematic that is for developers and everyone else involved. I think you are being very selfish and short sighted. If you are unhappy, move on to another product.

That is an absolutely fallacious argument, since those compatibility issues have ONLY begun with iOS 7 itself, not to mention the fact that at least 50% of all iOS users are still on iOS 6 or earlier, without ANY fragmentation reported until now software-wise.

And EVEN in the case of iOS 7, Apple has ALREADY accepted the fact that a few versions of apps are not fat-binary and still need to be offered to earlier iOS users. Why not acknowledge that fact for its own OS as well?

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
As someone who waited on line overnight for the iphone 4, who purchased one for my gf, who purchased an ipad, who purchased an iphone 5.... I hate io7... It is very different than the product and operating systems that I paid my money for... The audacity to be told by apple that I MUST accept the new system like it or not! that there is no way back.... My response is very simple... I WILL NOT EVER purchase another apple product.... I will encourage my friends not to... How dare a company make such an extreme change to a product and not give its customers the opportunity to get back to the product that they Paid hundreds, thousands of dollars for....

you know you didn't have to install the update right?

this is technology. things change all the time. get over it.

----------

There was no warning of such a drastic change. Like most unsuspecting consumers, I got a message on my equipment about an upgrade and I upgraded. Luckily I have warned others who have no idea that the product that they purchased is about to be altered in a huge way

they announced it 6 months previous! and it was all over the internet! and the update says "all new design"!

what more do you want?

plus, change is a benefit to the consumer. look at blackberry, it didn't really change for a decade, and their consumer's were left in the dust and had to play catch up and switch to a new brand of smartphone.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
This is not a direct attack on your father - I do not know him, and I do not assume anything negative about him - this is more of a general statement:

I am surprised that someone that has accumulated wisdom over the years would not read even the 4 sentences that are on the same page (no extra clicking, no further looking for information) on the update page that says there was a redesign. There's even a "learn more" button right there. Even a younger, non-tech savvy person; Where has this world gone that we can't read a few sentences of information before updating the software on our phones..

There's only so much Apple can do, guys..They're not going to never update their software because it's a change from what it was previously, that's ridiculous. They give you all the necessary info right on the update page - it's even above the install and update option, designed for you to read (I mean come on, it's just a few sentences)..From there, someone could take a look at the front page of Apple's website to get an idea of what this update looks like without blindly updating.

I just don't see how Apple is at fault here - they update their software as they see fit. The information about it is available -right from the update screen without any further research, and you can then inquire further if you so desire.

No one is advocating for a zero update policy - but as I said above: EVEN those who follow everything about Apple (like me) are still prone to being disappointed after discovering how the new OS really works. Rollback has ALWAYS been a possibility for System and Mac OS releases and this shouldn't be different for iOS, AT THE VERY LEAST for the latest preceding version or by means of a longer signature period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.