No good deed goes unpunished....

Discussion in 'Community' started by jsw, Feb 5, 2005.

1. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

From CNN:

Nice to live in a country where you can sue over almost literally anything. :rolleyes:

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Thank goodness the judge showed common sense...

I can understand the woman being scared, particularly if she'd bad a bad experience in the past. I wouldn't answer my door at 10.30pm if I wasn't expecting something.

But given the kids apologised, their parents offered to pay her medical bill - the court case was just stupid and makes the 'victim' just look greedy.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Unbelievable. I'd love to know the ratio of lawyers to people in the US.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, and that lesson should be never to help her out, even in an emergency.

Hope she chokes on a cookie and has a REAL reason to go to the hospital, because judging from the quote in the 1st post, I almost got the impression that the girls had snuck into the house and startled the ghost out of the older lady that night (which would have been well justified), but seeing as how she only had to go to the hospital the next morning, this was just a b**ch being a b**ch.

5. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

At times it seems there are more lawyers than people here. Even seeing all the lawsuit stories here, this one shocked me. They baked her cookies, knocked on her door, and ran away. So the woman - who apparently wasn't able to get a light of any sort functioning in time to discern that it was two teenage girls - sued. And won medical reimbursement. I think it's a safe bet that no one will ever bother her again. Perhaps the girls should sue for defamation of character or something....

6. iGav macrumors G3

Yep... not to waste their time with you again, silly cow.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But jsw, if they were to sue for defamation of character, their parents would just be teaching them to sue when you want to get someone back. Its the American thing to do, but c'mon, some people still have sense over there. Not everyone thinks its right.

I just don't like the fact that the 49 year old lady won in court, when she was obviously in such poor health that she drove herself to her sister's house to stay for the night, and then walked into the hospital the next morning. Didn't sound like trauma to me. If she suffered a heart attack, then great, but she really didn't have much of a medical issue at all except an upset stomach.

8. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Oh, I agree - I was being sarcastic. I think the whole thing's crazy.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh for God's sake...this woman's paranoia (and any resulting physical reaction) is the kids' fault? Bull****!

In any town other than a really major city (where police tend to be unresponsive), if you hear something outside your house and you're frightened, you call the cops. (Imagine if this woman had done that and been confronted by an officer holding a plate of cookies!)

This woman's overreaction was her fault and hers alone. I hope the kids' families appeal.

So much for paying it forward. :mad:

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The lady was wrong by not accepting the parents offer in the first. Essentially that is what the judge was communicating. I do that that the girls made a mistake by going out "late one night." If the $900 was her medical bill, then as well that ends well. The only problem is the cost of suing by both parties, that is where an appeal could get the lady to pay legal fees.

11. Space Cadet macrumors newbie

Paranoia is right

These little mountain towns in Colorado — Durango, Aspen, Steamboat Springs — are the most throw-back style places I've ever been in my life. It's like the '50s there with their parades, school shows and complete lack of jadedness.

True, the outlying towns do have methmakers and whatnot, but if there is any place left on the planet where you can find kids running down to the park, or playing hockey on the streets or doing something wholesome and healthy it is one of these well-to-do mountain towns.

Paranoid and litigious. She'll probably be passive-aggressived out of her neighborhood.

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

1) Love the Google ads this thread is getting

2) Come on, wouldn't you be scared if two people came to your house and then ran away? I might have to get a heart attack going on to sue them! And how did she know that those teens were the ones at the door?

You don't want to know. They might sue you if you found out.

13. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

Now these Girls are just weird who in their right minds goes about baking cookies for people you don't know or barely know and deliver them after 10P.M. I guess Durango Colorado is really that boring where good kids have absolutely nothing else to do but acts of misguided kindness.

What is interesting though is how this case would affect buisnesses who are involved in delivery like FedEx, UPS, Pizza Delivery, Flower Shops etc. I wonder if this means I can sue the next time I get a delivery person who was unexpected or came to me as a mistake. Hey stuff like that happens all the time you don't see them getting sued for that. The only real mistake would be the fact that the girls failed to identify themselves but considering how paranoid this woman sounds and considering the unusual nature of the girls intention the old bat would have probably just freaked even more.

14. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    shes just a cow!!! thats all she is. the teens already apologized, she claims it wasnt sincere, what more does she want omg it was just cookies, mental anguish my but i hope someone scares her in halloween

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

With that truly horrific image in my mind I'm never going to be able to sleep again! This whole thing is just to awful for words!!!

;) :D :p

17. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I disagree that the girls are wierd. I mean, come on, they're teenagers. They probably stay up late (like most teenagers), and have a lack of common sense (again, like most teenagers). It sounds like they didn't think their little suprise all the way through.

BTW, it doesn't sound like the lady was too hurt. :rolleyes:

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The lady they delivered the cookies to was only 48. 48! The way they made it sound, I thought she'd be a lot older. And why didn't she just call the police, so they could come out to make fun of her for calling them over getting a box of cookies. I hope this doesn't ruin the girls outlook on helping people, but it didn't sound like it did. I'm sure they'll just stay away from this woman next time.

Somehow, I have a feeling the woman is going to visited by others who won't leave as nice of a gift. Flaming dog doo, anyone?

19. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

The fact the lady left her house, without calling the police, means she wasn't that scared. A normal person would have been embarrassed after finding out it was homemade cookies from the kiddies next door. Only a HAG would have made a stink out of this, the fact she was living alone is anecdotal.

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If we could look at the case, we'd probably find that the judge ruled against them because they made the offer to pay for medical bills.

Otherwise it's a little hard sometimes to tell what will set somebody off: because you may not know that the next door baglady has a restraining order agaist her ex-husband -- and ringing the doorbell and giggling at night would terrify her and give her a panic attack.

21. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I'll grant you the possible problem past with the ex huzband - but that is even more the reason to call 911, or the police, not jump in the car in the winter in Durango.

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Who wants to join me in a class action suit against jsw? His interesting thread, along with his animated avatar, surprised me so much that I bumped my elbow on the side of the monitor. I may never play professional tennis again.

23. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Spoken like a true American. I'm with you, by the way. I've always thought that jsw was a shady character. But we ought to at least call it what it really is... a classLESS action lawsuit! :rolleyes:

24. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

You are exactly right. The biggest thing this ruling affects? court servers! They don't have to identify themselves before the door's opened; generally that's a bad idea in their profession. But this judge just opened the doors for someone to sue a process server that knocked on their door. I'm amazed that a judge would force such a precident! Aside, of course, from the resounding stupidity of the case.

I hope these kids do learn a lesson tho: the world is a ****** place where you have to look out for yourself, it's a dog-eat-dog world, etc etc. I think every kid learns this at some point, whether it's getting mugged by a hobo that saw your cash when you were giving them spare change, or letting a "friend" stay with you and having your VCR stolen, or giving someone a ride and then being turned into their chauffeur for the day, something like that. Doing good deeds is nice and all, but there is no God doling out poetic justice that good-doers will be spared injury. It's just really sad that kids need to learn a lesson like that.

25. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The cookie girls look like they'd scare the pants off me... :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Edit: On second thought, that probably wasn't the best use of that saying. :eek: