No good deed goes unpunished...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by iGary, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iGary Guest

iGary

So an old colleague of mine a really fun girl I used to work with at a publishing house) called me and said her sister was openign a spa...could I shoot the opening. That sounded like fun, and I did it in barter for some spa services...

So last week I go and do a couple of panoramas, because this is probably the perfect place for a virtual tour, totally on spec at my own expense, so they could see the process etc.

So I really want a "centerpiece" for my Web site and I figure an eight-room interactive panorama of a commercial spa would be great, so I offer to do it at my eight-room real-estate rate (about half).

The owner is all excited, she talks about it with her "investor" (her pop-in-law) and he said that he had already lined up some possible places to do it.

So she e-mails this morning and says "Yeah, he doesn't know whether he wants to go with you..."

"That's totally fine, I'd suggest you go with one of the vendors he has chosen."

"Oh, no, Gary I really want to use you."

"I'm sorry, it really doesn't sound like it will be a worthwhile venture for either of us - besides it's only a few hundred dollars."

"Well can I show him the demo you did?"

"Sure, just let him know that I did not shoot this as a "final" - only as a demo so you could see how the lobby would look in 360."

So I post it and he comes back with "Yeah, not impressed with the quality."

"I told "____" to let you know that it was a spec shoot."

"Well the image is not really as clear as I would like."

"Me neither, it was just a spec."

"Why didn't you do it right the first time?"

"OK, I really don't think this is going to work, no offense."

"Huh?"

"I haven't even asked for money yet and you are complaining. In my experience, situations like this go downhill really quickly. I'd recommend you utilize one ofthe otehr vendors."

"Their expensive as hell."

"You get what you pay for, "___." Hope everything works out with the spa."

Asshat™

Advice - never cheap out. Always bites you in the ass. :rolleyes:

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I would have done exactly the same thing. If people are too moronic to understand what you are telling them, the last thing you want to do is go into business with them. :rolleyes:

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Man, from your thread title, I thought this would be a happier thread. :p It's okay, Gary, we understand! :D I don't get what there is to not understand... a simple demo to see the overall gist of the work, you like the direction it's headed, like the other finished work of the photographer you've hopefully seen, then you hire. Right?

4. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I just needed to bitch.

The sad thing about this business is you really, in most cases, have to be an ass to make sure you get paid/taken care of/etc. All I imagined was doing this huge virtual tour for cheapm and then he goes "well I don't like it."

Yeah, pity the fool...that does business with this asshat on the cheap.

And people wonder why some photographers charge what they do.

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Aww, *squeeeze* you can bitch, any time! :D Not that you've ever waited for an invite or anything. :p ;)

6. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

ahh yes I've had the same thing happen with the c**p company I used to work for. "This is just a design comp, it's not final, we haven't finalized the design with the client yet, we can't build from this" turn into "why isn't it done yet?"

That is the double edged sword off creative work be it photography, video or graphics. People with an un-trained eye don't see the potential in the initial stages so they panic and back off.

7. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Next time they say "why isn't it final" say "Because you haven't payed me a dime yet"

How's that?!

8. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Well he sort of did...

9. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Simple fix:

Write a proposal, itemizing the steps you will take i.e. initial consulting, present initial design, review/revise with client, rework design, finalize, deliver.

And use finished, high quality samples of your work to show to clients. Don't ever show partially finished work, especially digital assets, to a client. You get exactly the response you describe if you do e.g. "that looks terrible!" And they may take the unfinished work and skip out on the bill.

10. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Oh, no, we won't be doing business together.

Let them take the unfinished work - its crap. You evidently have a higher tolerance level for jackasses than I do. :)

11. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I would have done the same thing, it isn't worth my time to deal with people that can't make the decision on whether to use you or not, yet they see what you can do and complain about it and when you try to tell them it isn't a final they end up going with some one for more money and get a less then par job for something you could have done a lot better...just my personal experience.

12. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

For some reason I thought this thread was going to include your cat :)

13. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

Sorry, iGary. It really sucks when people ask for and get a favor (particularly a business favor) and then complain about the manner in which that favor was executed.

And, for what it's worth, it was a generous gesture on your part.

14. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

hahaha....dang i wish.

15. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Just curious, what were you asking and how long would it have taken you?

16. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

You can add architecture to that list. The complexity of the design problem and incredible duration of the process means that you may be stuck presenting 'initial stages' for months. It takes good management, a trusting client relationship (and maybe some faith that things are indeed going the right direction . . .)

17. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

it seems some people dont understand plain english to me. :(

S

18. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

It was about a $400.00 job. Prolly would have about 4 hours wrapped up in it, maybe 6.

19. Frank (Atlanta) macrumors regular

Think you did the only thing possible.

Would have been horrible to work in that situation - nothing good would have come from it.

Better to move on, just as you did.

Frank

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well that sucks. :(

Since this is in the Digital Photography forum though, we should probably have some sort of picture to accompany all these words and stuff. Maybe a facial expression shot of your reaction to this whole event?...

21. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

22. octoberdeath macrumors regular

octoberdeath

how much would you have gotten if you didn't know those people? $66 an hour sounds good to me...though i'm not in the know of whats good and whats not. you wouldn't mind enlightening me though would you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.