No good, small t-mo phones?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Toe, May 2, 2005.

1. Toe macrumors 65816

Mar 25, 2002
    I am trying to switch to T-Mobile, and I am looking for an iSync compatible, web/IM enabled, very small, bluetooth phone.

Of the phones from T-Mobile, only two are on the iSync list. Motorola v180 and 188... neither of which has bluetooth. And I generally hear nothing good about Motorola phones (except the design of the RAZR).

I can get different t-mo phones from Amazon, but most are not iSync-capable, and the few that are are big, expensive, not actually available, and/or Nokias with retarded keypads that are unusable.

It looks like my best bet is the Sony-Ericsson t610 from Amazon. That's a relatively ancient phone, and apparently doesn't do IM.

WTF? Where can I get a good, small Sony Ericsson that works with T-Mobile?

Any ideas?
  2. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 25, 2002
    P.S. Yes, I have posted threads like this before, but I am having trouble believing that Mac users either don't use T-Mobile or else use 2-year-old phones (so un-Mac-like!). Or use unusable things like the Nokia 6600.

Am I missing something?
  3. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2005
  4. ipacmm macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH

I have heard some good reviews about the a630, but have never tried it myself, so I can't really say anything.
  5. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 25, 2002
    I just saw an a630 today, and it seemed great. The screen was awfully small, but on the plus side, the phone was very small too. But more to the point, it isn't iSync-compatible, is it? It's not listed here:

And the t68 is ancient, isn't it? I might as well get the t610 at that point. I just figured I'd be able to use a phone made less than 2 years ago and also use it with my Mac....
  6. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    try the t637, mine's great except for the ****** camera. use it with cingular.
  7. filmcutter macrumors member

Jul 18, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Unlocked phones?

Have you thought about unlocked phones?

No personal experience, but it seems like a good way to get exactly what you want. Just get whatever freebie they're giving at T-mobile, take out the SIM card, plug it into your new unlocked phone and you're good to go.

I'm looking at doing it next time I have some spare cash. Getting tired of my T610 (which does iSync quite well) and need something I can use internationally when I travel - which the unlocked phones allow.

Celluloco is one place I've looked at. Again, no personal experience - any feedback from anyone on either Celluloco or unlocked phones in general???
  8. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2005
    Well, I just read that my phone, the Nokia 6600 is iSync compatible.

Im actually looking to sell it...
  9. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 25, 2002
    You're getting tired of your old T610... which is why I'm having a hard time believing I'm cosidering buying a T610 this week -- as my best option.

Only one review from last October, but it's hardly favorable:

The company that shows up most in froogle is Mobilebee, which gets awful reviews:

The only trustworthy online stores I have seen sell very few if any iSync-compatible phones. The ones they have always have some big flaw, are huge, and/or are enormously expensive.
  10. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 25, 2002
    Aren't the keys on the 6600 impossible to press? When I read reviews, that was always the complaint. I thought it wouldn't matter, but I tried one and found it very difficult to press any key accurately. Apparently Nokia doesn't understand that people use the buttons on phones. :confused:
  11. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
  12. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 25, 2002
    Talk about shady characters... I think I'd rather buy from someone who at least took the time to make a website. Judging by the awful reviews of the seemingly legit phone sellers, I can't imagine what kind of horrors the eBay ones put you through.

Last chance anyone... am I really going to buy a S-E T610 today? That still just seems retarded to me.
  13. germ war macrumors member

Dec 5, 2003
    Saint Paul, MN
    *bumping* this thread, because I'm in the same boat. I'm with T-Mobile and currently have a Nokia 3650 that works great with iSync, but I'm tired of how bulky it is and want a smaller phone that works with iSync.

I'm interested in the Motorola A630, but as someone mentioned, it's not on the compatible list of phones that works with iSync (of course, with iTunes 4.8 released today, that raises a bunch of questions as to whether the list changes at all to support other phones).

I could probably tolerate going back to an older phone such as an Ericsson T610 or 616, but they no longer sell them new at retailers.

Any more thoughts?
  14. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 25, 2002
    After researching like crazy, posting multiple posts on numerous websites, and writing to T-Mobile and Apple, I finally just gave up. My Cingular Sony-Ericsson should be delivered tomorrow. Sigh. (BTW, as an additional gotchya, Amazon does not support number-portability with Cingular, so the next-best deal (other than hucksters) seems to be

Apparently, T-Mobile has no interest in Mac users. If all they offer is a couple of low-end Motorola's... what Mac users would be interested in that? Either that, or Apple is really dropping the ball here. After all, the list of iSync compatible phones is really quite small. It basically offers a limited selection of Motorolas, Sony Ericssons, and Nokias. And a handful of Palms. And most of the ones listed are not available in the U.S.

What the heck is the deal with that? How hard is it to make iSync work with a phone? Is it that Samsung, Sharp, LG, etc. just don't want to work with Apple?

It seems like somebody is really dropping the ball here. And the more I think about it, the more it seems to be Apple.

If it matters to you, you might want to consider using these pages:
  15. chasemac macrumors 6502a

Jan 30, 2005
    In a house.
    itunes mobile phone

With the release of the new itunes 4.8 perhaps this is a sign that the new itunes phone will be released real soon.
  16. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

Jun 30, 2004

I respectfully have to disagree and don't think that Apple is the one dropping the ball here. Quite on the contrary, a lot of providers are disabling features such as bluetooth on their phones so that instead users have to use their GPRS data networks for which they of course charge...
    The SonyEricsson T610/T630 are great phones and work great with iSync. If you do not like the phones Tmobile offers you, just get an unlocked SE. phone.
  17. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 25, 2002
    Just an update. The S-E S710a was a dog. It has some horrendous design flaws (switchblade opens upside down, microphone is in front so your face mutes it, volume controls are missing for key features, etc.). Cingluar is awfully stupid as well... I used up all of my data allotment in just checking out the menu options. Screw that.

I dumped them and got a Motorola a630 (free from Amazon) with T-Mobile. Now I can't sync, but at least the phone and plan are not retarded.

Now... how long until someone figures out how to sync the Motorola a630? Strangely, it does communicate with my Mac via BlueTooth... it just doesn't iSync.

P.S. Oh, and the S-E t610 is no longer available. And an unlocked phone for hundreds of dollars just doesn't appeal, when good phones are free these days.