No HD for Revolution

Discussion in 'Games' started by kuyu, Jun 15, 2005.

1. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Nintendo announced last week that will officially not support high-definition with the gamecube successor.

IMO, this isn't that big of a deal but other hardcore gamers seem to be pissed about the whole thing. My question is, how much does HD support cost? If it's a couple of dollars Nintendo is out of their collective mind. However, if this helps the Revolution debut at $199, I'm all for it.

I technically play all my PC games at HD (1280x1024), and it's not as cool as it sounds. I doubt the jump from 480i to 720p in games will be as dramatic as the same jump in video quality.

While on the subject, the add-on DVD playback for Revolution angered me at first. But after more careful consideration, I realized that at launch I will already have 4 DVD players hooked to my TV (modded xbox, xbox 360, standard DVD player, and PS2).

Any thoughts?

2. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

You'd think the difference isn't all that big, but to me at least, it is a huge deal. The quality difference between 480p (most) and 720p (relatively few) games on the current XBox is huge. And I'm only doing the comparison on the cheapest HDTV monitor I could find (30" Philips Widescreen - $359 refurbished). I can't imagine how big the difference would be on a quality set. The difference between SD and HD on a nice television would probably be like the difference between a computer at 640x480 and one at 1280x720. Although even PC monitors look good at the lower resolutions because of how small they are.

The lack of an HD output will certainly ensure they remain at the bottom of the market, while the adults pick up the more expensive consoles that support their nice new TVs. Not that that strategy is a bad one. Most kids would probably not be able to tell or care about the difference, making the extra cost pointless to them.

In any case, pending the bredth/cost of their NES/SNES support, I still want one.

3. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

I'm a nintendo fan, for the most part pleased with the Cube and it's games. I was/am looking forward to the Revolution but it may come second to an XBOX360 now. I currently don't have an HD tv but the next one I get will certainly be HD, between my Dish and the next consoles(sans nintendo) supporting it I don't see why not. It seems very short sighted for Nintendo to not include this on a next gen console. I suspect a lot of people will be buying HD tv's in the next few years as well, I don't think the HD market is going to be as small as Nintendo claims.

Seems that for a very small cost they could add this feature, but instead are locking themselves out of a growing market of HD and into a shrinking market of SD.

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nintendo did have an interesting point.

As it is right now, at 480i (standard definition) developers can basicly do ANYTHING. There is so much power there they can shove all effects to maximum.

At HD they still have to pick and choose what they put in because the high resolution takes so much power.

I don't think this is adequate reason to remove HD though. IMHO they should include HD ports but not require developers to use them (as it is now, Microsoft and Sony are requiring all developers to develop for HD, meaning they probably won't look as good as they could in SD as the effects are tweaked for HD).

5. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

oh please... how many people have HD tv's? Not me. couldn't afford one if i wanted to get one. i'll play the system that has the best games. and at this point i love my nintendo games... oh and i'm 23. the games sell a system, not the damn specs. sheesh. everyone sits here and argues about how fast a system is going to be.. in the end the system specs don't make a damn bit of difference. the system that sells the most has the best games. PERIOD.

6. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

To me, the nintendo is sounding more and more like an "incremental upgrade" than a "revolution".

I'm really excited about the 360 and PS3, but it seems like nintendo is not up to par...

7. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

uhm... ok let's see... ALL YOU KNOW is the system specs. ALL YOU KNOW is the number of "theoretical" polygons the video cards can push. BIG DEAL.

nintendo INNOVATES. look at the nintendo controller on the N64.. they had the analog stick... right after it was unveiled who came out with the dual shock controller? Oh yea... sony.

give me a break. the Revolution will have backwards compatibility... it will have a break through controller that hasn't been unveiled, it will have online capabilities.

now you're whining about HD? please. 1% of the US has HD TV's.. who gives a flying crap right now? that 1% that has HD tv's? please.

look at my previous post. The system that has the most innovative games will have the most sales. oh and i'll put money on Nintendo's system being a good $100 LESS than the 360 and the PS3

EDIT:

and all this whining coming from mac enthusiasts who ... to say the least.. have had the slowest processors and least amount of real power under the hood for YEARS. yet you all get by and LOVE the mac experience.

what is so different about a gaming system? it doesn't HAVE to be the most powerful, it doesn't HAVE to push 80 billion polygons per second to make a good experience. there are you mac people who are running freakin iMac's with Tiger on a 500mhz machine. it works right? it does the job, enjoy so you don't have to upgrade.

what nintendo is doing is trying to do something different. instead of throwing a ton of power at a developer they're trying to make an "experience." by giving the gamer good games, good system specs (not necessarily the best) but the experience is what makes a game system.

8. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

I agree with you on 94% of what you said. Yes, the most important part is the quality and diveristy of the games. And we don't know the full story of ANY of these consoles. The only thing we can do right now is speculate, based on what we DO know.

We know the 360 and PS3 have HD, and the Revolution doesn't.

We know the 360 has a DVD player, the PS3 has Blu-Ray. The Revolution (I believe) has neither built in.

We don't know the price of any of the three.

We know the 360 is coming out this year.

We know the Revolution is supposed to have a cool controller.

That's about it. Based on what we know, the 360 and the PS3 offer more. They also probably cost more. The Revolution will have Metroid, Mario and Zelda. 360 will have Halo 3. PS3 will have Kill Zone.

It's all good. The proof of the pudding is in the tasting. We won't know which is best until all three are on sale, sometime in 2006. Until then, I'll sure be enjoying the 360!

And, as for Mac users not needing the "best specs"... Well, that's the POINT of buying a console for games in addition to a Mac. I WANT to have the best hardware for games.

9. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

lol, the only problem with wanting the best hardware for games.... well the hardware is only part of the gaming experience. you don't HAVE to have the best hardware. which what i'm saying. it's the software that makes the experience, and the controller. that is "it" really. however nintendo has pulled off a switch from cartridge to optical very easily. i barely notice the load time on the GameCube. however i do notice the load time on my PS2 :p

10. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

where did you find this tv at?

11. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, seriously... That's a sweet deal! Is it LCD? Plasma? CRT? DETAILS!!!

12. woxel1 macrumors member

Hey, it's a free country

Well if you do want HD support (like I do), there's an effort on IGN to get the word to Nintendo that we the people want Nintendo to have the best possible system: http://cube.ign.com/articles/625/625423p1.html

13. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Right...example time.
    Sort of. Bought my Pal Xbox this Christmas, bought Burnout3. Looked great 480i on our Sony LVD TV via component. Got the Xbox chipped. Enabled HD progressive scan.
    Whoa! the difference is amazing, reflections cystal clear, details pinsharp etc etc. It was like watching the an old dirty VHS of STARWARS then watching the remastered DVD....worlds apart.
    Soul Caliber 2 is 720p, again another world of difference. If this is true Nintendo have made a big mistake IMO. Damn shame.

14. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

*yawn* you really think they'll listen? lol. good luck though.

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

looking at the huge upcry and the massive amount of emails sent to them it could very well happen that nintendo change their specs (if it's true that there is no HD) untill next year ... who knows

after all do we know if they simply meant "no 1080p/i" which is the official HD standard ? or did they say "no 720p/i" either ?
    the japanese standard is different as well (afaik)

what i find much more interesting is how sony finally has solved the problems with caddy-less blueray discs.. isn't it still a problem ? and if micrsoft wil lget ready untill november... if they can't make it in time and get delayed it's gonna hit them seriously .. they annouced that they will start in japan in december ... very risky to calculate that close

16. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

it comes down to how many people actually HAVE HDTV's? Not very many. I don't think it's really that big of a deal. the games make the system, not the pretty graphics.

EDIT:

on a more detailed note. would you rather have a pretty game that has no substance because the developers felt that the graphics took emphasis over creating something new and innovating? I'd rather have crappier graphics and better game play. heck, i STILL play mario 3 on my GBA simply because it's a FUN GAME. It's an amazing game in fact. There's a fine line between having pretty graphics and great gameplay. typically in this day and age there is a sacrifice somewhere.. which one takes the emphasis. you either get a pretty game, or you get a game that plays well. i'd take the game that plays well.

17. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

It's a CRT, and a pretty heavy one at that... about 125 pounds. But the picture quality is amazing. I don't know MacRumors rules on linking and such, so hopefully this is ok. You can get one directly from the Philips outlet when they're in stock (not very often, and you have to go through almost the entire checkout process to find out, and sometimes they actually take it off the site) at outlet.philips.com. The outlet also has the 30PW8402 which has DVI in addition to component inputs for a little more. I got mine at www.electronicsalley.com, and they were extremely helpful. If you go to the website, in the header, click on "Specials". It's the 30PW850H. I sent an email to make sure they had one in stock before it shipped, got it in about a week. Free shipping (to the front door, not into the house/apartment... I had no trouble moving it into my room, despite its size), no tax. I've also heard www.electronicsnation.com is good, but I can't say for sure.

Remember, the set is refurbished. But still, Sam's Club recently had the same set for $699 new, so its a great deal. Mine had a minor nick on the side of the set that took me almost a week to see, and other than that its been flawless.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but there were a few requests for more info :)

I still think the lack of even an HD option on the Revolution is a big mistake. Sure, HDTVs may be rare now, but I doubt they will still be rare in 5 years. Prices are dropping like crazy. I don't see why they couldn't at least give the developer's the option of developing in HD.

18. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

My next TV will definately be HD.

However, I'll probably be getting said TV around the time Nintendo Revolution 2 (or whatever they will call it) comes out. By that time my eyesight will probably be to the point where it won't matter if the Revolution 2 supports HD or not. So... viva la revolution! or however you say it. ;)

19. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

Exactly. I don't have one now, but these consoles aren't available now either. My next set will be HD and I suspect that a large chunk (do NOT read majority into that) of the population's next set with be HD as well.

Thinking about today's market for tomorrow's product is silly. :)

20. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

sweet. thanks a lot. I have been looking at a sony wega but I dont know now. this is about half the price and it seems like a good tv.

21. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Fear the "revolution"!

I have three, actually. Oh wait, that was a rhetorical question, right? :)

Looks like the "Revolution" isn't so revolutionary: no HD support and plays old games. Enjoy your SNES games, folks.

Mostly, it's amusing to see the excuses being made for Nintendo. Anyone else does this, like say Microsoft, and we'd listen to another round of "Xbox is the suxxors!". :rolleyes:

22. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

I sent them a mail. I guess I'll buy it anyhow, but HD would still be nice.. :)*

23. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Yeah thats right, the Revolution only plays old games. :rolleyes:

Its funny how much people are already dissing a console that hasn't even released it's specs, any of it's game library, and hasn't even shown us what the controller will look like.

But no, we can honestly say it sucks based entirely on what the case looks like and the fact that it doesn't support a TV format that most consumers don't even have yet. (note I said most... yeah, I know some people have HD TVs... my parents even do (my parents have HD and I don't, how out of touch do I feel))

sorry for the paren nesting, I've been coding for the past 8 hours.

24. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

(Although I replied to David, this isn't specifically directed at him.)

But it's fun to bash other competitor's consoles with baseless speculation, right? :p

Right?

Oh, just not Nintendo. I see. :rolleyes:

25. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

*yawn*

i'm not making excuses for them, i'm simply looking at it from their perspective. the console will be cheaper, it wont' run as hot meaning it'll probably last longer. graphics don't make a system, the experience and interface do. the number of HDTV sets is slim at this point, making most people pay for something that they can't use anyway.

xbox 360 .. from a hardware standpoint kicks butt... i'm not so keen on the PS3 .. this cell processor thing is gonna have to be seen before i really believe the hype. but i refuse to throw more money at microsoft, i just say it's kind of a morality thing for me ;) although it's fine if others buy it, just not my cup of tea.

i've grown up on nintendo, so i LOVE the games they put out. my first gaming system was a NES, i remember being like 6 or so playing duckhunt and mario. when i first got it. i also remember blowing $60 with my brother to buy Mario 3 when it came out. i also remember being confused about the original metroid... yikes that game confused me. now.. i have a GC, i have a dreamcast, i have a PS2.. which do i play? the GC because i love the games, not to mention i feel the GC has the best "feel" for a controller of all 3 systems. i can't say much for the xbox one, i know the smaller ones are nicer (at least from looks, but the original controller looked like something Yao Ming would use).

regardless. the GAMES are what will sell a system. if nintendo can provide developers a great development environment, with ease of programability.. i think they'll get a great start.

the problem with the cell is it's going to be very difficult to optimize for. not so sure about the xbox 360.. but both systems from a developer point of view seem to be really EXPENSIVE to develop for. maybe nintendo's idea is to lower those development costs a bit at the same time.