No HDMI cable included with PS3?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Tommyg117, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

http://www.ps3land.com/article-623.php

According to this link, Sony is not packaging an HDMI cable with the PS3. I'm a little disappointed with this. For 600 bucks, I want an HDMI cable, especially because they aren't exactly the cheapest things in the world. Is that so much to ask?

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I really think Sony is doing this on purpose to have people talking.....its like they want everyone to talk about them good or bad.

Bless

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Frankly, I'm not surprised. How many people have HDMI-capable HDTVs? Not many, unless I miss my guess.

Sony's doing the intelligent thing for once and not including something that a lot of people don't have any use for right now.

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

yeah but for those of us who do, know its ANOTHER 50+ (probably more) on top of the 659.99! (cdn) argh... :( thats a game that I won't be buying because I want the damn HDMI (I dont have any free spots for component left on my tv :()

monster HDMI cables are over 100 bucks!!! :( and thats for a 1m one! weak...

5. Tommyg117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

With the HD revolution made by these next gen systems and next gen formats, HD tv's will become more available and more people will buy them. Most newer HDTVs have at leats one HDMI input. Well, if not most, than many. So why is Sony just putting a final kick in the butt to the consumer in the PS3? I was considering, as of late, getting a PS3, but this kind of makes me want to wait a little further. They better have something UGE (yeah that's right, so big it doesn't need an H) up their sleeves for TGS.

6. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

HMDI sells between from $5-$500 but that's not the point...Sony has a problem, even their Upconverting DVD players are the only one that doesn't include it...cheap bastards...!!!

7. danny_w macrumors 601

I know that HDMI cables (and DVI for that matter) are expensive, but why exactly? I can understand pricey analog cables, but isn't HDMI all digital? Why do you have to have special cbbles for digital? I thoght that was one advantage to digital, it's either on or its off.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

what would both me is its just one more thing i need to buy at launch..i like it all coming as one thing..

10. mkubal macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure of what everyone's definition of expensive is, but I'd suggest you look at MonoPrice for cables.

A six foot HDMI cable is $18 US. I can attest to its quality. I'm using it right now with my cable box.

Other lengths can be found here.

I found them through the AVS forum. I buy my cables from there unless I need one in a pinch, which requires Radio Shack.

Also, I'm not sure about using Monoprice outside the U.S. (I'm too lazy to figure it out) ;)

On topic though, that is bull crap if they don't include the cable. OTOH, I suppose we should just hope that Sony doesn't come up with their own HDMI connector like Apple did with the iPod USB connection. The only thing worse than having to buy the cable separately would be having to buy an overpriced proprietary one from Sony.

*Expects to see "proprietary Sony HDMI cable" rumor pop up all around the web tomorrow*

11. abbottpc.com macrumors member

They are doing this to make extra money. They will lose money on the system and gain money on accessories and games. This is how it always been done with console companies.

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Did Sony take a loss on the PS2?, i'm pretty sure Nintendo did not..this is(to the best of my knowledge) is the first generation with most of the companys lose money on tha hardware.

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Always? In the old days it wasn't done like this...it's a more recent phenomenon, primarily promoted by Sony and Microsoft.

Sony sold the PS2 at a very small loss that could be made up quickly. Microsoft sold the XBox at a massive loss to gain marketshare that cost them billions. Nintendo sold the GameCube at a profit as they have with all their systems since the NES.

Interestingly, due to spectacular engineering the GameCube was smaller than and cost less than all the competition, while outperforming the PS2 and keeping up with the XBox (better processor, weaker GPU, but potentially able to output more, like in RE4).

14. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Considering that's one of the big features of the $600 model, I'd say it's kinda dumb not doing it.
    And over here, if it doesn't have HDMI, it's not an HDTV - just a TV that does high resolutions

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

This is the important thing to me.

if you are having a retard pack with no HDMI - and of course no cable , the only way you can justify the more expensive premium which has the suppoed benefit of HDMI, in to include the damn fecking cable - ye cheap bast*****

Seriously €700 for PS3 & Resistance FOM and I still have to spend €50 on a HDMI cable.... :mad: That's a wii game there..... :mad: :mad:

Both nintendo with it's constant LACK of concrete information and sony with it's constant BALLS UP PR stunts are both really pissing me of right now.. :mad:

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

yea I'm a little annoyed at Nintendo for not giving us information this late in the day. but hey everything else they have done has been a PR dream, so I trust they have something coming up.

But really now... it would be silly not to include a HDMI cable with the PS3. i still doubt how true this is.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Probably very true. Remember you only get a ****** phono cable with ps2 & & xbox thesedays. They make too much $ kerching from selling a scart cable or svideo cable for $30......

However I do suspect they will bundle in at least a component cable - otherwise they really are just being greedy basta**s

18. maddav macrumors 6502

maddav

That is rather a bad move from Sony at least Samsung had the good nature to chuck in HDMI cables with pretty much all of their upscaling DVD players.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

As sony would say...

Yeah but thats a dvd player, not a super computer. no super computer comes supplied with HDMI. Anyway the PS3 is super cheap, too cheap we think. So go pre-order now, and rest assured our specs wont change between now & november again ! .... ;) ;) :D :D :D

20. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

"psssst! Kaz!"
    >"what?!"
    "We're out of blue lasers."
    >"Attention ladies and gentlemen, valued patrons-- We have just decided that the best move to make would be to have a BluRay lottery! On launch day, you spin the wheel, and if it lands on a blue piece, you get BD support in your system! Otherwise, you'll get an official Sony Voucher™!"
    "psssssst KAZ!"
    >'WHAT NOW?"
    "We're out of the Vouchers™!"
    >"F***."

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

^haha

Why do people call it BD? Isn't it BR? I've heard nobody calling it "Bluray Drive", just "blue ray".

22. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Blu-ray Disc

23. darkwing macrumors 65816

While this is true, if you switch it on and off too fast, the wires in the cable begin to look inductive. This not only makes it harder to switch faster, but causes ringing in the signal. Bad. In addition, there is some frequency range where switching can cause interference on an adjacent wire. SATA drives are coaxial. I remember that 400 mhz PCI bus (did that ever make it? Don't keep up with those things as I only use laptops) had to have tuned circuits on both ends.

As motherboards and CPUs had faster busses, they had to start shielding traces on the motherboard to prevent the traces from acting like antennas and radiating into each other or acting as antennas.

Remember ATA/100 cables? The ones with 80 wires? They were really 40 wires with a ground between each one to try and cut down on bleed over.

Ever wonder why USB has 2 wires.. one for a 1, which is made by pulling it over 2.8V through a pull-up.. and another for 0, made by pulling it down below 0.3 through a pull-down. All done to reduce RF interference.

Basically, as digital busses get faster the cables become transmission lines. This could be the reason HDMI cables are so costly. As one user pointed out, there are cheaper ones sold. I bought a HDMI-DVI cable (10 ft) for my digital cable box for $25 including shipping from a company on the internet. It works great. Just shop around. :)

Sony will probably have a proprietary connector on theirs, though. :(

24. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

Well if this is their mindset, then why have HDTV support in the PS3. The majority of people do not have HDTVs. Most HDTVs either have HDMI or DVI (the newer ones all have HDMI). Even with DVI, you can get a converter. It uses the same signal.

25. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Because you don't need HDMI for high definition.