No homophobia in sports?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Feb 15, 2007.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Whoa, it doesn't usually get this obvious.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sfl-215hardaway,1,4003389.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

People tend to hate in others what they hate in themselves... Wasn't there a pastor who did the same thing? He condemned homosexuality and then was turned in by a male prostitute?

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Persh the thought! Are you suggesting Hardaway might be...a sissy? :)

4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I was suggesting that! Not that he has ever acted on it, but those secure with their own sexuality tend to not be so uncomfortable around those that are different right? I'm sure there have been studies about this, it's kind of interesting.

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Yep, the one and only Ted Haggard, from Colorado Springs.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

"i hate gay people." sheesh, what is this, mississippi in the 40's? has mr hardaway no sense of irony?

anyway, here's the question with which i'm wrestling: is this approach a better one than masking one's homophobia?

i'm tending towards "yes".

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I think so too. Tell me exactly what you think, then I can make sure I'm beating the crap out of you for the precisely right reasons. ;)

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

But there is a group that "cured" him.

yeah right.

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

So I guess now he'll go through sensitivity training. Which basically means, you can think what you want, just don't say it. :rolleyes: I doubt the root issues will ever be addressed.

11. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Which brings the question: what is better/worse - The guy that expresses his views or the one that holds them close to the vest?

12. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

That's already been stated by zimv20.

To which leekohler wants to know...

13. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

I'm curious, if someone didn't agreee with homosexuality but didn't condemn the individuals who practice it, would you consider them homophobic too?

14. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I saw that, and yet I missed it. I really must be tired and/or bored.

15. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I would say no, because homophobia is a fear of someone who's homosexual. If we were phobic of everything we didn't agree with, it would be a sad, sad life.

16. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

All this proves is that NBA players are generally idiots. But we already knew that.

17. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Then what term/suffix is applicable?

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

19. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

kalns- disagreeing with gay people is like disagreeing with left-handed people. It makes no sense. Left-handed people don't have to write with their left hand, do they? But it's natural for them and hurts no one. This is at least how I see it these days. And at least this guy is honest.

20. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I have no idea. What do you call someone you don't agree with but are not afraid of? No one completely agrees with anyone else, so I would call them human. :)

21. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

22. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

23. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Ahh...but explain that to everybody with a "if you're not with us, you're against us" mentality. I see it everywhere, including my workplace.

As an OT example, if I don't believe in ignoring our borders, I'm xenophobic. If I believe in the economic growth provided by immigration, I'm all for letting in terrorists.

Back on topic - I don't think we can ever eliminate people's feelings regarding homosexuality. Is it possible to move beyond bigot and queer and reach human.

I think it is human nature to disagree with we find different. To me it is natural to believe in God, but take a look at this forum and see how many people think that such belief is abnormal, stupid or wrong and that those who do believe shouldn't be in the United States or in the world. I can think of other groups in the US that have endured worse than verbal hatred.

24. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

Sure, I understand that view point. It's just not consistent with my worldview. Of course you know I don't have any ill will towards you because of your sexual preferences. You and I get along quite well. I just believe that we'll all be made to answer for our sins when we die according to my beliefs.

I've been studying some really fascinating stuff in my classes (I'm a religion major if you'll recall) and I wish I could bring it up here, but I know what kind of reaction it'd be met with.

25. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Whatever! He's probably been in the locker room with more gay or bi men than he's realised.

It's just silly that he's apologised for saying it in the first place. It doesn't really mean anything because he wouldn't have said the original statement if he didn't really feel it.

People need to think before they speak.