No i DON'T want tp upgrade to Pro!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wowser, Sep 29, 2004.

1. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

I am getting a little tired of QuickTime asking me whether i want to upgrade to Pro. Is there any way to disable this message? and what, besides authoring tools, does the pro version offer anyway?
    Thanks

2. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

neat little trick:

turn your clock waaaaay ahead of time. i'm talking years. open up quicktime. the upgrade thing will pop up. click later. then quit and change your clock back. this should stop it until the date that you set your clock ahead to.

anyone correct me if i'm wrong

3. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

4. JLS macrumors 6502

The ability to view fullscreen video, and loop it.

5. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

6. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

you can also save MOST quicktime files you veiw off the internet......

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Another useful feature in Pro is the Export function, which allows you to convert files into other formats.

8. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

why don't apple provide the pro version with OS X? It seems cheeky to have apple users make do with the same one Windows users can get for free. Is it worth the cash?

9. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Who needs cash when you have a box full of serial? ..... Ah-choo... excuse me!

10. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

you mean searching something that rhymnes with 'black fights'?

11. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Careful, saying things like that could get you in trouble. ;)

I will agree, however, that the constant nagging is very annoying, and very un-Apple like. i would expect that kind of behaviour from Real Player, not Quicktime.

12. andysmith macrumors 6502

You mean cornflakes? ;)

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Windows users have to pay for QTPro like everyone else.

14. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

He means that it it unfair that Apple users and Windows users get the same free version of QuickTime, even though we have to pay for Apple hardware. He's saying that Windows users should have to deal with the whole QuickTime Pro thing, whereas people who buy a new Mac should get at least one version of Quicktime Pro, just like iLife.

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hmm.. I see. Force Windows users to pay for Quicktime, period. That's a great way to ensure that your prorietary picture/video format doesn't make it off the ground if you're not based in Redmond, Wa. :)

16. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Switch to RealPlayer 10. It doesn't include adware like QuickTime Player does, and it gives you full screen playback for free.

17. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

No, No, Bad iMeowbot!

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Spray her with a bottle of water!

19. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

If only I had a Newspaper to role up and hit with.

20. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

that is really annoying, there must be some sort of a legitimate fix for it. a checkbox somewhere or something. oh well, i dont use quicktime that often but its still annoying when i use it. i would be ultra ticked off if i had that with iTunes. . . upgrade to iTunes pro! ha! they should get rid of it for quicktime, or just give people who fork over 130 a year for the lastest OS a free copy of quicktime pro!

21. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

No one said that. All we said was they should have to pay for Pro. While Mac users should get the current version of Pro free with their new Mac.

22. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

23. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I get tired of everyone wanting better software for free. I agree the upgrade box is THE MOST ANNOYING THING ON MY Mac I THINK- which says a lot about the ease of use of a Mac doesn't it :D

but seriously it is annoying and everyone should have to pay for pro just like every other application...no wait, I have it...I paid for an iMac so I should get quicktime pro, DVD studio pro, final cut pro all for free...right? :D

It would be like saying I paid for my Corvette...why shouldn't I also get the leather seats even thought I didn't pay for them...I gave GM money darn it! You owe me leather seats...oh yeah and a steering wheel.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine...pay for the software you use and enjoy the stuff you get for free- IT DIDN'T USED TO BE THIS WAY. I don't remember getting any freeware for my Apple IIe.

24. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I don't think that anyone expects all their software to be free, but Quicktime is a core component of Mac OS X, it is a required application. You can run your Mac without Final Cut Pro, or Office, or most any other application, but you can't uninstall Quicktime. So for an integral part of the OS to nag you to upgrade it every time you open it is unacceptable. If Apple doesn't want to give you Pro, at least there should be a legitamate way to turn off the upgrade message.

25. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I don't think you should get Quicktime Pro free with a new Mac, but I think you should get it free with PAID versions of iLife (ie non-included versions). But I paid for Quicktime Pro a long long time ago, and it never fails to pay for itself.