no, i have lost my skills

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by eva01, Oct 3, 2005.

1. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

T____T this is a sad sad day. I used to do freelance design a lot, then i got sick and have been sick for a year now. So i stopped doing freelance and most design stuff in general. And now i have taken a semester off from school and decided to get back into freelance and i can't make any half-way descent blasted image of ANYTHING. Its like i have lost everything i used to be decent at. Damnit this frustrates me soooooooo much. Here is the last thing i was able to make. along with my favorite creation.

i can't make anything T___T

the last thing i made (avatar and the harley signature were in July at the hospital one day [brought laptop with me])

Attached Files:

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

There is definitely an ebb and flow to creativity. One thing you might want to try is changing your routine. Are there any friends you haven't seen in a while? Any activities you used to enjoy, but haven't lately because of your schedule? Sometimes it's good to get back to your roots to get the juices flowing again. Either way, take some time out for yourself and you'll find your creativity coming from some unusual places.

3. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

I am going to try and change my routine, i need something to kick start all of this, anything at this point.

thank-you leekohler

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Coming from one who's been through it several times, you're welcome. :)

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

that really stinks, cause girls only want boyfriends that have good skillz

6. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I have numchuck skills...

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Come on- this is serious. I totally understand where she's coming from. You get blocked from time to time. Try to at least be helpful.

8. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

hmm for those that actually care, how does this look?

May put Lilith up on the cross

EDIT: And yes for those wondering, I just fixed the typo :p image is just for how it looks not my horrible spelling

Attached Files:

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

it happens, that dreaded creative block. creativity waxes and wanes, often without any real reason. don't force it but don't give up. after a while i imagine the old way you would look at things will slowly trickle in and then eventually you'll be flowing with ideas all over again. mix up a bit of what you already know with something new and fresh. i think it will come back to you. leekholer had good advice, i agree with that.
    not to sound patronizing but just keep at it, i think things will improve. :)

EDIT:

i really like that! i am not totally familiar with its origins but i think it came out great.

10. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I'm glad someone picked up on the Napoleon reference. :D

11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

You can draw a lot better than I can. Don't worry. It's like falling off of a bike, it all comes back.

12. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Yeah, that's a shame. You just gotta keep doing it and pushing for it. Is it your actual skills that are dwindled, or is your creativity down? Whatever it may be, don't give up, that's the important thing, and don't let yourself get too frustrated. Just relax a little and keep giving it the best you've got.

Sorry if that didn't help, just what I think.

13. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Just don't forget your crash-helmet :D

Seriously, I hope you get back in the swing of things, I know what it is like to have an extended 'block' and not know what to do or where what you should be doing / want to do is going to come from.

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I know exactly what you mean — I have no idea how well I'm going to be able to get back into the swing of things when I return to work after almost 5 months off... have barely touched Quark, Pshop and Illustrator in all that time let alone produced anything under the pressure of a deadline. It's a bit of a worry...

To me, Macs are now only good for emailing and posting here... :eek:

15. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

It will come back.

I stopped playing keyboards about 4 years ago at list. Last week I downloaded a virtual sythn and connected to my keyboard and just by listening to the new sounds everything was back to me again.

You just need something to inspire you.

16. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Yes, but they do those things really well, don't they? :p

eva01, keep pluggin' away. You've clearly got talent, it's just playing hide and seek with you at the moment. Like others have said, there is an ebb and flow to creativity and inspiration. I'm sure you'll find that spark again, as long as you keep trying.

17. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You've got lots of folks in this community pulling for you...

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

18. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

leekohler's advice is a good one. If you get stuck in routines, your creativity will suffer for it.

Watching a good movie, or talking a walk outside (preferably a bit away from people and civilization) tends to my creative juices flowing. I usually take with me a notepad and pen/pencil, so I can write down anything that comes up, not matter how silly and insignificant it may seem at the moment.

19. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Is it just me...

or are the avatars from the last 3 posters somewhat similar?

Talk about a lul in the creative juice flowing department....Eva01 steer clear of those MRers. :p

20. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Eva, I know what you're going through. I've been going through this damn artist block thing for nearly FIVE years. So, I won't give you advice because, I'm in the same boat.

Btw, I like the EVA pic you just posted, when I have more time to dissect it I might have an idea or two for it.

21. katchow macrumors 6502

i used to spend the day in a museum/gallery w/ a sketchpad or go out to a public place and do some good ol' people watching.

:p

22. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Don't worry a bit, the skills are totally there, just like memories. It just takes something to jump-start it. But yeah, I know how that feels, and also the relief you get when it all comes back.

llama :)

23. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Ooh, I know what you mean.
    Some days I just can't be motivated to pick up my viola or violin, and other days, that's the only thing on my mind.

It'll come back, eva01. You rock! :)
    Just take a week away from EVERYTHING (unplug the TV, Mac {yea, that one will hurt, haha}, phone, etc. Just chill... ) and after that week, you'll be just bursting with ideas. You won't have enough time to do it all.

24. katchow macrumors 6502

violin? i'm jealous. i was talking to a friend the other day about how clarinetists are poo-pooed for using vibrato (in the classical context), but you violinists can use it till the cows come home. not fair :(

25. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I believe that's a gimmick that the Demi-gods/Demi-goddesses/Contributers have going right now. They have access to their own private little forum and come up with things like this. Other things they have done are all put blue doors on their avatars ala bluevelvet, put their signatures in 1337-speak, etc.