No idea

Discussion in 'macOS' started by senus, Feb 24, 2006.

1. senus macrumors newbie

Hey guys i have G3 ibook and it crashed about a year ago and just died pretty much, it wouldnt get passed the mac logo screen on startup, it was running 10.3 panther on it. So i wiped the entire hard drive.

Now, Whenever i try to install mac os 9, (as my panther discs have somehow mysteriously dissapeared) nothing happens, when i say nothing, it does give me some reason, but i cant find the charger to check it for you now, i will though if it will help! Can my ibook run os9? im assuming it can? Also with panther are there different versions for ibook g3 and desktops, powerbooks etc? Could i install a copy of panther used for a mates desktop mac?

Ok just checked, when i turn it on and there is no cd, it has a little folder in the centre of the screen that flashes between the mac logo and a question mark, im pretty sure thats what happens when i put in the copy of mac os9 i have aswell.

Also if iw as to buy a new os for the G3 what should i get and how much would it cost me $AUS?

Thanks for the help guys.

Sean

2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

an apple product can only run the os version that it was purchased with OR LATER. if you buy a mac with 10.4, you can't get it to 10.3. if you get a mac with 10.4.4, you can't get it to 10.4.3 (supposedly)

the logo you are describing sounds like it can't find the start up volume. can't help you with that. sorry

Good luck!