No Improving the G4 Case Design

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Ensign Paris, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

[​IMG]

Hi

I was just thinking how Apple would improve the Quicksilver G4 case design (Just so people know, I prefer the original graphite G4 case) and I don't think Apple will be able to replace it, its sooooo good and really well thought out.

Easy to access:
    [​IMG]

and just soooo good looking! The only machine I prefer from an astehic (howd u spell that?) point of view is the cube, I love that machine!

How do you think it could be improved? My case designs are at http://homepage.mac.com/benvp under the name of Guy Wickenden.

Ensign

2. Wry Cooter macrumors 6502

I could stand a third removeable bay. Why should we have to stack all our drives on TOP of the case, when they could go INSIDE?

3. iGav macrumors G3

Hmmmmmmm.......

I'm with you on the Graphite case being more aesthetically pleasing than the Quicksilver......;)

I prefer the Ti Book... though. I think its amazing piece of product design and engineering prowess!!

However, I think the Mini tower design could be improved...... to suggest that it couldn't, offers the possibility that the current design is perfect...... of course we should consider the notion of universal perfection as unobtainable, and thus a problem still exists. Ultimately peoples opinions differ somewhat on the current design and its functionality, to make the notion of perfection all but obsolete, to all but the individual.

My desires for the new case would include these solutions....... I think that the access to the internals is currently very good!!, however I'd I like to see:

•Dual Firewire 2 ports at the front of the case.
    •Dual USB 2 ports at the front of the case.
    •Rapid drive swap solution, abit like what the G3 Powerbooks have, where you can swap drives etc quickly and easily!!
    •An advanced convection cooling system abit like the Cube to keep the fan noise to a minimum.
    •And a more minimal exterior design, like the Ti Book when closed...... functional!

4. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I'm not sure I agree with people who are saying that the graphite case is nicer looking than the quicksilver. In fact, I wholeheartedly disagree. I've had one of each and I muc prefer the quicksilver. Each to his own, I guess.

As for being able to improve the current design... hmmm. I'm sure it's possible, but the only things I can think of that would make it easier to use/access would make it look like a cheap and tacky PC. Things like putting ports in the front of the case...

It would be nice if the enclosure was smaller, but that's about all I can think of. I guess that's why I'm doing Computer science, and not graphic design or something like that...

5. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Seriously, who would want front ports on a quicksilver?! That ruins the whole idea of it!

When apple designed the quicksilver, their idea was not to make it the most convinient case in the world but the simplest, yet most beautiful. In my oppinion they did a great job, since the drive looks like it doesn't exist, and the speaker looks like a giant button.

Have you ever seen a quicksilver on the right desk, hardly any cable in sight, etc? It's quite a sight since nothing is actually in front of the quicksilver, it's so empty it's pure and clean :D

Adding a door to the front, or some sort of plug would clutter and ruin the already beautiful design. If you want USB ports that what's on the keyboard. As for firewire, just buy a hub or keep a long cable plugged in like I do :D

6. iGav macrumors G3

I don't see how....

Putting the Firewire and USB ports on the front would make it look like a tacky PC?? Its not having ports on the front of a PC that make it tacky, it's the whole package, bad qualitiy materials, zero innovation and uninspired design that make PC's tacky!!

I really like the idea of front mounted ports, it would make hot swapping alot easier, the ports could be hidden behind panels (I'd prefer not to have this) much like the CD/DVD drives are on current towers, after all which are crappy beige things hidden behind a nice flap...... Hence why I prefer slot loaders, atleast they're not pretending to be something they're not!!:D

I think the way Apple are going with product design is minimalistic, i.e only having things that are totally functional, having nothing that isn't absolutely necessary to the functionality of the machine!! The Cube and TiBook are prime examples of this!! And I'd like to think Apple will carry this on and evolve it for the new case design!!

Making the casing smaller isn't really a problem, look at the size of the TiBook, the probably is, by going smaller you reduce the expandability potential!! Obviously they could design and build smaller, but alot of the current PC standards for PCI cards etc etc, are a standard size! and restrict Apples design possibilities!!

I can't wait to see though what Apple/Ives come up with!! The Power Mac after all is obviously the Mac Daddy of the range, and I have no doubt that it'll blow people away!!! With power, style and expandability!!;)

7. iGav macrumors G3

I wouldn't want to put.....

Ports on the front of the Quicksilver.... it wouldn't work with the Quicksilver design!!

But it's definitely a consideration when it comes to designing an all new case!!!

By adding firewire hubs etc, all that is doing is adding more clutter!! And reducing the overall clean, pure structure of the desktop!! You hide the Firewire hub, and BANG!! instant problem with accessibility!! Swapping between DV Cams and Digital still cams..... it makes it more difficult and thus goes completely against the simplicity of using a mac!!

As for hiding ports check out what Bang & Olufsen can do to make severly clean and uncluttered product design!!! It can be done on the mac aswell, rather than restrict accessibility, incorporate it into the design of the machine!!!

Which is better??

Not functional and beautiful or
    Functional and beautiful???

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: I wouldn't want to put.....

One point that might be worth mentioning is that the ports on the front could be behind a panel the flips down/up. If you have a setup on your desk for DV and a DV deck, like I do, having the firewire cable in the back is no problem, you plug it in once and thats it, don't worry about it again. If you want to attach a DV Camera, it might be better to have access to something in the front, so that you don't have to dig around in the back. You could keep a cable in one of the ports, but the DV camera cables aren't the same as the standard peripheral cable for firewire. So you'd only be able to use it for the camera. Having the extra port is a good option, I hope to see it.

9. blakespot Administrator

blakespot

I much prefer the Quicksilver design to the Graphite G4 case. I had a B&W G3, and the graphite case was a step up from that.

I also feel that ports on the front would reduce the overall fineness of the case design. That just looks silly and wrong.

blakespot

10. blakespot Administrator

blakespot

I _am_ surprised that there's no Apple logo on the front of the Quicksilver, I must say. I would have rather it been included.

blakespot

11. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Just a kind of side note... how cool is the SuperDrive logo? I think it's so cool I've actually kept the protective plastic over the drive, just so I can see that logo...

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

If the new G4 or G5 comes out with a new case design, we might end up being surprised that it only holds some resemblance to the current design. I'd be all for a new machine layout. And even if something looks silly and wrong with the current design it doesn't mean it can't be incorporated effectively and asthetically in a new design.

But I do agree that modifying the current case with front ports would cause issues with Apple Design Feng Shui:D

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I haven't seen it, could you post it?

14. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Yeah. I'll have to dig out my camera from wherever it is. I'll do it in the morning, I'm going to bed now.

If anyone else can post a pic, feel free to. Otherwise, I'll put one up in the morning...

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Sometimes I forget that this is international and what it all means. I just got to work an hour ago. Ha!

Good night:eek:

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

who knows...

I agree with u Ensign...the current case is very well thought out...much better than any previous case design...

I don't think it would look nearly as good with a 3rd drive bay in front...because if it doesn't get used it just looks odd...in most cases people only have whichever optical drive & a Zip drive...

Apple has been an "innovator" in cosmetic design for computer systems for the past few years now and I am sure they have something up their sleeve for the future... :p

I can't help but to feel like once we see the G5....it'll be in a similar based case design concept as the current G4....but maybe with different materials? (did that even make sense?!)

17. iGav macrumors G3

Apple Design Feng Shui

Dukestreet I love that term.... :p

Feng shui is a philosophy that creates an environment which is ergonomic, and that helps to create and nuture an efficient environment.....

So having Ports at the front would be more efficient than having to crawl under a desk and, hurt u'r knees and swear whilst trying to plug in something!! Its all about positive energy!! And I wan't some of the Mac's positive energy being released from the front of the machine!!!:p

As Dukestreet pointed out and what I said in an earlier post, there could be a cover to hide the nasty bits if people are that affected by them!! If we make a comparison to architecture look at the work of Richard Rogers, or Norman Foster or Renzo Piano all work within what is termed Hi-Tech architecture, where alot of consideration is taken for the users of a building as opposed to something that looks good, but isn't very functional, for instance look at the Lloyds Building of London, a superb piece of Hi-tech architecture, where all the external; vents, stairways, air conditioning ducting are all on the outside, so that maximum space and functionality can be achieved on the inside!!

Now I'm not suggesting that Apple should put all the guts of there machines on the outside and have an empty box inside, that would be crazy, :p but they could consider the ergonomics of the machine, by making things a little more acessible at the front of the machine!! and hey this is Apple, it'll look cool by definition!!

But they should keep ports round the back of the machine where people can have there fun if needed..... all I'm saying is, it would be useful for me, to have ports at the front of the machine........:D

I hope though that the new design will be completely different in looks to the current tower, and judging on Apples record with the iMac, iBook and Powerbook, all recent revisions are completely different in everyway to the model that proceeded them.......:D

Oh good night Beej and Good morning Dukestreet:)

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: who knows...

Materials can have a huge impact on the case, Apples proven that with their other machines, and I'd love to see something different.

But 'form follows function' allows for only slight differences in overall design. Apple's come up with some extremely innovative stuff, the G4 iMac, so maybe they didn't waste all that inspiration and they'll surprise us in several months with something new.

19. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

(sigh) Now I know how Krossfyter feels sometimes.........

When he's feelin ignored.

The case WILL change. It has too many problems. Go ahead and flame me. The existing case is 3 years old and has some fundamental flaws:

1: The Zip bay.......it only fits Zip drives properly and it's quite inconvenient to retrofit for a HD. Almost no one uses it. Zips are getting too damn small. If I have an iPod why the hell would I want a Zip drive?

2: The latch assembly sux and has always sucked. The plastic latch assembly that runs underneath the mobo almost never closes the case correctly and is notoriously flimsy.

3: Drive bays: The existing internal drive setup is somewhat more than lacking. The existing config if bought with one drive is a pain in the ass to add drives to. If the case was any easier or any harder to work in it would be less agrivating......as it is the bracket placement and choice of drive cables only make a good design irritating.

4: Power supply+more than 4 drives+2 processors=a noisy footwarmer. The case is inneficient in it's ability to dump heat.

My agrivation at the existing case is not in a "gee this case blows" sense.....I've opened my share of 8100's. It's in a "gee this case is ALMOST convenient" sense. Sure, for most users it's really cool but if you actually spend any time under the hood there are little compromises throughout the design that make for an annoying mix. Just little improvements are all it would take. Problem is.........once you add all those little changes together you have a new case.

I wanna see a few things (for the nth time):

No more dedicated Zip bay. It's a waste of a drive bay. Better to have an additional optical drive.

No more internal modem. USB modems cost the same and don't add heat to the case or detract from the mobo's config.

Dual drive brackets throughout as default. I wanna be able to add 4 HD's without scrounging a drive bracket. All brackets with 1/4" of space under and between drives for proper venting and ease of cabling.

Non-ribbon type drive cables. Have you tried using the default ribbons yet?

Get the default drive host circuitry OFF THE MOBO. It's a waste of space and rigidifies ATA66 as the default.

Get the power supply OUT OF THE CASE. It's an incredible waste of space and an inneficient waste of heat. The case could shrink considerably if this steaming turd was elsewhere.

Vertical PCI slots. Think about it: when is it EVER convenient to reach around behind a machine that's under your desk?

Mount the mobo on the back of the case, not the door. As cool as it looks there are some issues with having it all on the door. Primarily that it all has to be re-enforced against shock. Secondarily that all cables have to bend and unbend many times over the life of the case.

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: (sigh) Now I know how Krossfyter feels sometimes.........

I think you're taking it too personaly that you're being ignored. This is the first time you posted to this thread. Please realize that we might not be up to speed on all of your posts.

Both the ZIP and Modem should go, definitely. Make them options, but honestly who's going to use a ZIP if they can use CDRWs? And Modems just aren't that fast, less and less people are using them - its only a matter of time before we see them almost dissapear anyway.

But as for the power supply, exactly how to you propose this? Make it a transformer box the hangs down the back like you get on some other laptops or devices? I think you loose some ellegance there. True, it would save space, but it might not be all that practical. Personally I hate the things, I'd rather have a simple power cord going from the wall to the computer, nothing else inbetween.

You got a lot of good ideas here.

21. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Power supply:

BTW: I was a bit tongue in cheek in feeling ignored. I've been saying the case will change and several things MUST change for MONTHS now. I usually get flamed or ignored. It's frustrating.

The Power supply could do with being outboard like the Cube's brick. If it had an integrated UPS/Power-conditioner you could eliminate 2 neccesary evils at once: get the heat and bulk of the PS out of the case and provide power conditioning with backup and 4 outlets that power up with the tower.

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Actually, I like the idea of a useful transformer, power strip. It would aid in removing clutter under your desk even though its moving something out of the computer.

I stand corrected, and I'm now in agreement with you. The savings in heat prevention would be great, and reduce the need of noizy fans.

23. Wry Cooter macrumors 6502

Well there is that slight bit of desperation on some, one of the port doors silently screaming 'superdrive'. Superdrive! Please try me! I'm So Special! Love you long time!

Is that minimalist?

You have two minimalist slots right now... what is wrong with a third or fourth? Of course for some of the extra drives people might want to put in there, the door might be larger,.. a bit more like the graphite design.

Of course if you want coffee table clean, with all the junk on top instead, go ahead.

I'd think a bay to put a protools 001 gizmo or another removeable drive would bring over more people from the dark side. Keep the luggage inside the suitcase.

24. Wry Cooter macrumors 6502

Re: (sigh) Now I know how Krossfyter feels sometimes.........

I don't like turds on my floor. Neither do schools. And you know steverino doesn't.

25. Wry Cooter macrumors 6502

regarding possible ports on front of case...

when you you check out the functionality of a new mac in the store, do you ever feel a bit like a dog greeting other dogs in the kennel?