Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimsharpe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Hi -
I recently received a 2.5 gig Dual g5 tower as an upgrade. It came loaded with osx 11.4 and I migrated most of most of my prefs and other related stuff from an older G4 tower. everything seems to work fine on the G5 except that I can not make an internet connection. I've checked most of the obvious stuff like Appletalk, ISP server set up and the like, seem okay. I've had help on the phone from my provider and router manufacturer and both gave up - those areas all work well: I'm getting a signal coming in through the modem just fine (I hooked up my laptop and had no problem connecting). Also, the router was bypassed to check the signal directly into the G5. Nothing. I could call Apple I suppose, but they charge some crazy amount for tech help, so I'm not doing that unless it becomes impossible otherwise. Any suggestions you folks may have would be greatly appreciated... Sharpe

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
first reset everything possible ...like pram/nvram and the lot
do a fresh install of osx in order to rule out anything of your old settings could cause a problem then connect via ethernet to your router /modem using dhcp (not manually) , if that doesnt work then maybe your ethernet port is gone

jimsharpe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
No internet connection on G5

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I'm going to have to do a re-install of the operating system and see if that does it... will let you all know what happens...
Thanks.

Sharpe

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Did you "copy" your network prefs? Be sure you don't have duplicate IP addresses!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.