"No internet connection"

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Uguubot, Aug 14, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Uguubot

Hi guys, I bought my Macbook Air the day it came out a month or two ago. Overall, I enjoy it, but one thing thats really bothering me is the fact that it seemingly can NEVER connect to my home internet wirelessly anymore.

My tablet can connect, my phone can, even my mothers iPhone can connect. But the moment I try to connect with my Macbook air, it won't give me an internet connection, with a ! in the wifi tab. It used to work - and sometimes still works, but 99% of the time it won't work.

I called Apple, and they sent me to an update on their website. It worked for a day, but, then it went and failed again. Does Apple expect me to get a new router just to use their machines? Although I enjoy it, I am very disappointed. I bought something with quite a bit of money saved up, and, it ultimately almost never works.

2. macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Take it to an Apple store. Get a replacement. If it isn't working right, then something's wrong right?

3. macrumors 6502a

seveej

Greetings,

Sorry to hear that, but if you want us to be able to supply you with some help, we'll need some details.

First: Are you regularly able to connect to other wireless networks (so that you're sure your Air's wireless is not busted)?

Second: What wireless router are you working with? Is it configurable? Have you accessed it to check it's settings? Is it possible that the model's limited to a number of wireless clients (especially some wireless routers supplied by ISP's have that 'feature')?

Third: What is the exact problem (error message) the Air gives you when you click on that "!"? Have you checked your Airport TCP/IP and DHCP settings?

RGDS,

4. thread starter macrumors member

Uguubot

I did - it worked then, of course, and the genius looked at me like I was an idiot, as per every time I go visit them. "Sorry sir, it looks like it's working so there's nothing I can do to help you."

----------

I another call from Apple coming tomorrow. Hopefully it fixes it so I can enjoy my Macbook, because I really love OS X so far, especially compared to Windows on a laptop. But if it doesn't work (Some googling says it might be because of the new wifi chip in the computer not being backwards compatible with some models?), I will probably just ebay or craigslist it and pick up a less "beta" computer for me.

5. macrumors 601

I suggest u use the SEARCH button and read all the Air 2013/HASWELL WIFI threads, sounds like a known-issue.