No iOS with Xcode 4 (new macbook)

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by muntschkin, Jul 23, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Jul 23, 2011
    Hi all,

I just got my first mac. I installed Xcode 4 from the cd and there seems to be no iOS sdk installed.

I checked on Preferences but there is absolutely no mention of iOS Libraries or anything related to iOS.

However, on the installation disk it is listed that iOS sdk will be installed.

Any ideas what I should do?

Thanks in advance.
  2. macrumors regular

Mar 24, 2011
    North Carolina
    Make sure you are not installing xcode 3. I know that xcode 4 has been distributed either from the mac app store or the paid ios developer site.

If you want something up to date I would suggest get xcode 4, but some people still love xcode 3.

Either way you cannot install the ios sdk by itself without an xcode counterpart and the xcode 3 on the snow leopard disk does not have ios sdk built in so you have xcode 3 not xcode 4.

If you do not wish to pay anything and want xcode 3 with ios sdk download it from here:
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 23, 2011
    Thanks for the reply.

I found a way to open the DVD (pacifist) and saw that there is no iOS SDK inside ... It is definitely Xcode 4 and the installation DVD has it without iOS SDK, although the installer says it has iOS SDK will be installed.

I am now downloading the free Xcode 3.2.6 with the iOS SDK 4.3 and plan to copy stuff into the Xcode 4 directory to see if it manages to add things to itself.

Or? Any advice is appreciated ... I am very new to Macs (= didn't even know how to view the files of the DVD drive earlier this morning).
  4. macrumors 65816

Dec 29, 2010
    Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
    If you have Mac OSX Lion, you can download 4.1 from the appstore, it was free, because 3.2.6 doesn't work on Lion.
    For Mac OSX Snow Leopard, you should just download 3.2.6, but upgrade to 4 as soon as you can, because I think they will stop supporting it at iOS 5+ (just saying what I think.)
  5. Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    For Snow Leopard, I recommend installing Xcode 3 alongside Xcode 4, since most learning resources are still based on Xcode 3 and haven't been updated yet.