No IP on my powerbook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jrober, Jul 13, 2005.

1. jrober macrumors regular

jrober

All,

Help requested. I cannot access the internet from my powerbook even though the network is fine.

I have an ADSL connection to a D-Link G604T modem router. Connected to this via ethernet is an iMac G3 (Running Panther) and wirelessly my PowerBook G4 (Running Tiger).

My powerbook has lost it's ability to get on the internet. Airport is OK the Router is OK, I can connect to the iMAc But however I try the IP connection is missing when I try to access the internet. Network Assistant shows the Internet connection is missing and says it cannot fix it. This happens if I use the ethernet or wireless connection. At the same time the iMac connects fine.

Where should I be looking for the problem?

FYI Already I have tried Powerbook, airport and router resets etc to no avail. it just stopped working.

Thanks in advance.

John

2. kubark42 macrumors member

The EXACT same thing happened to me, and no one ever had anything to say about that issue, either. I eventually gave up and reinstalled Tiger. What was really bad was that I have it set up to dual boot into Panther (because the PB STILL has issues with heat under Tiger) and Panther had no network problems whatsoever.

You might try installing 10.4.2 to see if it's a bug they just cleaned up.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

4. jrober thread starter macrumors regular

jrober

Kubark42 - I agree totally Tiger has heat and network issues that were not there in Panther.

I will try re-installing tiger and then the 10.4.2 patch to see if that works.

Many thanks for your advice.

5. jrober thread starter macrumors regular

jrober

Yes, absoloutely no issues. kubark42 above may have found a fix but still blind bambi on the cause.

John

6. kubark42 macrumors member

If you're up for it, give 10.4.2 a shot. I'm curious to see if waiting for 10.4.2 would have worked.

And if it doesn't, I'd like to be prepared in case the same thing happens again.

7. jrober thread starter macrumors regular

jrober

Lost DNS Addresses

All, thanks for the help, finally tracked it down to no DNS addresses, totally disappeared without so much as a by your way!

Very strange.

John

8. kubark42 macrumors member

Hmmm... Then you definitely didn't have the same problem as I. My computer totally flipped. It didn't even show the airport or ethernet card as existing, much less just missing a DNS.

Glad you got it worked out without too much hassle.

Kenn