No job!

Discussion in 'Community' started by hcuar, Oct 8, 2004.

1. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Well... Since the first time since I graduated college, I'm unemployed. :D For two weeks that is! :cool:

After three and a half years with a company and many frustrating days, I finally am done with them. I start my new company in two weeks! I can't wait. I'm hoping that my new company cares about their employees more than the last.

My old company just announced 35 lawsuits against several companies including Apple yesterday. I was pretty upset with them. (I quit two weeks ago, no I didn't quit because of that). So... I'm on my way to Cedar Rapids IA with my wife, PB, and iPod... (Stuff is going to be following in a moving van)... :D

Goodbye 115 degree summer days... Hello 10 feet of snow in the winter! :eek:

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Where will you be moving?

I'm asking because, I was used to live in California, and it was hot and dry. I then moved to Georgia, it was hot and humid. Then I moved to Massachusetts and it is sweeeeett! I luv going out side to see 6+ inches of snow.

All quite extreme if you ask me.

EDIT: I need to work on my close reading skills! :D

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

You're definitely picking the wrong time of year to move from Phoenix to Iowa. Being originally from Iowa, I know. Of course, now I'm in Chicago, so it isn't any better.

But good luck with the new job - I hope that all works out for you and your family. There are still companies out there that treat their employees well, it just seems that they are fewer and farther between these days.

Also hope you can enjoy the time off a little bit and not focus purely on the move. Take in the fall foliage as it changes colors and prepare to become a Hawkeyes fan, because that's all there is in Iowa for sports fans...

4. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

Thanks! I keep having people tell me about the poor choice in timing. ;) I'm originally from Indiana, so the snow doesn't scare me. Yet.

I'm really looking forward to working for a new company. People I've talked to have had good experiences working for the new company.

We plan on driving from Phoenix to IA, and taking our time. (Within reason) It should be fun... I've never driven across the country before (we've always flown). BTW: I went to Purdue... I can't be a Hawkeye fan!

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

*shudder* he speaks the truth-- i don't remember the last time I had a meeting at work that didn't involve Hawkeyes discussion. Being a 'mo, i'm immune to sports, so it's just another way to make a meeting drag on...

So, welcome to Iowa, soon :) Cedar Rapids tho... you may want to get a noseplug. The Quaker Oats factory produces such odors that they can be smelled 70 miles away, where I grew up... When the wind was just the right way, we'd all be gagging. But you'll get used to that.

The extreme lack of people, on the other hand... well, let's hope you're not afraid of big open spaces :D

But on the positive side, people are (for the most part) really nice here, a lot friendlier than other regions... And you'll be 10 minutes away from Iowa City, which has some great theater (big college town). Not to mention good gambling in Tama and along the Mississippi, a rainforest in Coralville soon, a megamall in Des Moines... things aren't quite as boring here as they used to be...

good luck with the new job :)

paul

6. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

I can't wait for the big open spaces. I'm tired of people able to touch the next door neighbors house from a window in my house. I'm tired of block walls in my backyard that I can't see over without a step ladder.

Phoenix is also turning into LA traffic wise (and people come to think of it). Not to burn on LA.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I spent a January in Phoenix a year and a half ago - 70 degree weather and it was in the 20s in DC back home. That was nice....can't say I'd be interested in 110 in the shade though..

So what do you do and did the job take you to Iowa or did you look there specifically?

D

8. medea macrumors 68030

medea

big open spaces eh, are you a cyclist? if not maybe you should look into it.

good luck on the move and new job situation.

9. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

I'm a Software Engineer. I've been writing software for stuff that is used for the International Space Station. Space isn't doing so hot, so I decided to look around. (Plus, I've been having negative feelings about he company and people I work with) I have a buddy that used to work for my old company and took a job with a company in Iowa. (He's actually worked there before) I decided to give him a ring and make the trip to the Hawkeye state. I had my choice between Michigan and Iowa... I chose Iowa because the job was better, company was better, and I liked the look of Cedar Rapids IA over Grand Rapids MI.

10. iceTrX macrumors regular

Awe, too bad you didn't come to Michigan! We get very hot summers and very cold/snowy winters. Lots of lakes around here, when I go to another state it feels so weird to not see a lake after driving for awhile (when I drive to work/school, I pass atleast 8 decently sized lakes :eek: ).

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Is this about LCDs, or is that a different company?

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Why are they suing Apple? Hopping on the bandwagon?

And what kind of computers does the ISS use?

13. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

that's the polar opposite of where i live. texas has *NO* natural lakes. 2nd largest state in the union and no natural lakes... :rolleyes: not sure about jobs for software engineers though...

14. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I thought that Caddo Lake up in the Northeast was a Natural lake. I am sure I read that somewhere, but maybe I am mistaken.

15. acceber macrumors regular

Come to Australia, no snow. :D

Oh, except in the Thredbo areas where we get snow in the winter (June-August).

16. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

hmm....apparently it used to be a natural lake but isn't anymore. it was dammed in 1914 but further info can be found here . so i guess it's like half-natural
    btw, sorry to hijack the thread

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Yeah, but as people in Vegas were trying to sell me on my possible relocation, but there is not humidity during the summer 110's. My answwer is, "it is still 100 degrees!".

Also brings to mind the Last Comic Standing, first season I believe, with that heavy set guy. He thanked NBC for sending him to Vegas during the heat. I can totally relate as a "large" man. I would be able to lower Lake Mead a few more feet each summer with heat like that! :)