No keyboard improvements for iOS 6?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by saintforlife, Jun 12, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

Feb 25, 2011
    The iPhone keyboard sucks big time in its current form. The auto correct is terrible. Moving the cursor around is a hit or miss. I can't believe Apple didn't announce any innovative new features for the iOS keyboard. Atleast a Swype like keyboard at the minimum? Hell even the Blackberry 10 touchscreen keyboard looks leap years ahead of the iPhone keyboard. I am disappointed to say the least.

Another good reason the next iPhone needed to be WIDER with more horizontal pixels, not just taller. Forget developers, Apple should have been thinking about making users happy first.
  2. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 25, 2011
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jun 12, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    I do not miss much from my Android phones, but I still dream about Swype.
  4. macrumors 65816

Apr 11, 2008
    Syracuse, NY - USA
    The keyboard is actually a little different going from iOS 5.1.1 to 6 b1. It looks the same, but it's behaving slightly different. I can't tell if this is intentional or not, but I've had to make slight adjustments to my typing on the screen keyboard. It just feels slightly off or different.

Like you said though, I think Apple is having trouble abandoning it's original and simple, single approach with either a change to the keyboard or a choice. This could result in lesser user satisfaction... Who knows, this is a beta and there may be additional announcements along with the next iPhone launch and ultimately the launch of iOS 6.
  5. macrumors 6502

Nov 4, 2005
    I agree the iPhone keyboard is terrible. My main issue isn’t even about hitting the wrong key, it’s when you hit a key, and nothing comes up. It’s like my fingers are faster than the iPhone can process them, which is unheard of. Or for some reason, you hit space and it does a return instead. Before plunging to the iPhone 4 years ago, I used to use mobiles with physical keys. Loved it. Which is why I was so apprehensive about getting the iPhone 3GS. But after playing around with friends' iPhones, I realized the keyboard was actually pretty good. The keyboard sold me on the 3GS. Not sure what they did, but prior to iOS 4, my 3GS under iOS 3.x.x was great when it came to the keyboard. I never had any issues. It was very responsive, and accurate. After iOS 4, that’s when I started noticing all the problems we currently see now. So definitely a programming issue.

My take, they should make something like what the Galaxy SII does, the finger sliding. Or incorporate a vibrate for each key pressed. At least that way you’ll know you actually touched the key and it reacted accordingly. Sure they have the tone sound, but I find it annoying to hear clicking sounds every time I type. But ultimately, just make it work better than it does. The main issue for me with the iPhone keyboard, is it's not very responsive and accurate as it used to be in iOS 3.x.x.

The iPhone does many big things great. But the little things that DO matter, have suddenly been over looked the last couple of years. It’s like they concentrate on more BLING, than substance.
  6. macrumors regular

Jun 24, 2010
    I guess I'm in he minority here. I've never had issues with the keyboard
  7. macrumors member

Jun 5, 2007
    This happens to me too, 70% of the time if not more. It just seems like the phone can't keep up with my fingers, it gets especially laggy when composing a longer message.
  8. macrumors 68000

Jul 27, 2003
    Neither have I.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Jul 24, 2007
    Austin, TX
    It seems that older phones with newer OSes always seem to have KB troubles. My iPhone 4 is struggling a bit with the keyboard in the latest iOS 5.1.1... I'm excited about a new iPhone just to see my keyboard return to fully functional... Also, that I've had this phone now for over 2 years. It's so beat up...
  10. macrumors 68000

Sep 24, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I agree that something happened since iOS 4 that made the keyboard really painful to use. I always thought it was temporary and that Apple would issue a fix, but the keyboard still drops letters and lags behind in visuals and also the clicking sound.
  11. macrumors 604

Sep 17, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    I think the iOS keyboard is fine, with the exception of moving the cursor around - Two words: Incredibly tedious!
  12. macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2011
    Same here. I had a Motorola Droid for 2 years. I have a 4S and the current RAZR. I still prefer the iOS keyboard over Android, even Swype.
  13. macrumors member

Apr 26, 2010
    Being a native German, I’m tired of the auto-correct replacing the female “the” (die) by the dative form of “you” (dir) all the time. Or, depending on its mood, the other way around. Thus, I agree, it definitely need tweaks. Plus, umlauts and ß are horrible to type.
  14. macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2009
    oh no! You actually have to type out words. How lazy do you have to be to want "swype" crap?
  15. macrumors 6502

May 3, 2010
    Come on Apple, cursor keys. You know, like pc's had back in 1982? And every computer since then? How hard is that to understand that typing any length (including a short paragraph) sucks without them.
  16. macrumors 68030

Sep 3, 2011
    Except for the original Macintosh it's interesting to note:

I guess Jobs was just always against arrow keys.
  17. macrumors 6502a

Jun 12, 2011
    Northern Ireland
    Same for me. One feature I loved on my friends Galaxy S II was the kickback or vibrate feel as you typed.
  18. macrumors 6502

Oct 28, 2011
    It's still by FAR the best keyboard available for any mobile platform. Every Android keyboard Google has released just continues to change slightly and is now almost fully morphed into an iOS clone. :apple:
  19. macrumors 68040

Dec 16, 2011
    Jobs didn't include arrow keys on the Macintosh because he wanted people to get used to having to use a mouse to interact with the computer. Look where that got us now, huh? :p

You can jailbreak and get HapticPro which turns on Haptic feedback.
  20. macrumors regular

Apr 17, 2012
  21. macrumors regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Forget about the stupid Slide, how about SwiftKey? It's amazing keyboard that suggests you words based on the words you're typing at the moment. If I type Hi, it will suggest How as my next word, so I can type Hi, how are you in literally 4 clicks. It works amazingly well and it also learns and improves itself with the time.

In the second post there was a video about Octopus keyboard, which looks very good as well, but you have to jailbreak your iPhone in order to get it, and that's not the point. The point is that the iOS keyboard is very much behind Android, Blackberry (soon) and even Windows Phone... Apple has done very little changes since 2007 and the only way of getting something better is Jailbreak...
  22. macrumors 68030

Sep 3, 2011
    Well, as someone who started out on a Macintosh 512K, to this day I do almost exclusively use the mouse to move the insertion point and select text. Though performing either task with the touchscreen is just so much more cumbersome compared to either mouse or arrow keys.
  23. macrumors 68020

Sep 22, 2009
  24. macrumors 65816

Jun 16, 2009
    Same for me, i havent really had any problems.
  25. macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2011
    Me too, the people who aren't having problems probably won't mention it. I never got the autocorrect problems either. It gets almost everything I screw up right.