No laptop updates till fall/autumn right?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by daneoni, Mar 20, 2007.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

A friend of mine wants to get the high end 15" MBP but wants to wait for Leopard (don't really see the point but there). Anyhue we don't want to have him buy a machine only to have updates announced a month later.

Im thinking we won't see MBP/MB updates till around Oct-ish when Santa Rosa would hopefully be out right? BUT then again again maybe he should in fact wait for updates, given the display issues on the MBP lines. Then again who knows what issues the new updates might bring with them.

The line i see being updated right now is the iMac/MacPro line and possibly the MacMini and Cinema Displays.

Also i'd like to think Leopard would've been released before WWDC right? i.e an April release or something

I dunno...what do you guys think, should he go ahead or wait for a revision?.

2. shecky Guest

shecky

i thought santa rosa was out end of Q2 (by june)? - i would expect new lappies at or near WWDC.

3. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Santa Rosa will be released by Intel on May 9. I would expect laptop updates from most manufacturers by June or July, since the platform is not significantly different from Merom in terms of motherboard architecture.

4. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

no there gonna be released next tuesday, or the tuesday after that or the one after that and so on

5. ready2switch macrumors 6502

I keep seeing people throw out May 8 or May 9 as "Santa Rosa Day". Has Intel announced this date, and if so where can I see that announcement?

6. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

If it's anything like when the Core 2 Duo was released last year, you'll probably see Santa Rosa show up in the MB and MBP 2-3 months after Intel announces it's ready (which would put it in the July/August time frame). Based on actual recent history, that would be the best educated guess since nobody outside of Apple knows for sure.

7. ready2switch macrumors 6502

Ahh, ok. So someone decided that sounded like a good day and put it in there. If you follow the reference to the article, nowhere does it say anything about an actual date, just that products using the platform will be available by July.

Thanks, just making sure I didn't miss the big announcement. :D

8. djkny macrumors 6502

right.

no updates until fall...just in time for back to school.
    Apple will have a "free nano" edu. promo, over the summer, but not sure if that's really worth waiting for.

And yes, the current MBP LCD's are awful. 'Tis why I returned mine.

9. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

There's been several articles from reputable sources that indicate the beginning of May or May 9 specifically.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I doubt that. That would make a solid year for the MBPs, and over 8 months for the macbooks.

it is true that there are not currently chips available to replace the merom chips in there now, so updates can't be for a while yet. But when new chips become available, I'd expect to see updates fairly quickly.

11. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

June 11 SF WWDC SteveNote Will Introduce Next Gen MacBook/Pros

No that's NOT right. Santa Rosa is released May 9.
    Apple does plenty of testing to make sure there are few issues. You're worrying over Phantom Issues. It's all in your imagination there will be a lot of problems.
    No. It's the entire line this Spring. Total makeover by Summer.
    April or May yes.
    WAIT! June 11 SF WWDC SteveNote Will Introduce Next Gen MacBook/Pros - Certinaly NOT Fall. No Way that long. June 11 for sure at the latest.
    OK. But Steve can still introduce them June 11 and say "Shipping Next Month" or "Shipping this Summer" YOUR WORST CASE scenario.

12. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Re: Santa Rosa
    And for that matter, Acer, Asustek and Samsung have already demoed new laptops using Santa Rosa technology. Reportedly these firm's new Santa Rosa laptops will be available in May...

I really don't think Apple will take "months" to release a series of new Macs featuring Santa Rosa technology. Apple has captured a good chunk of the notebook market, which means all of the laptop makers will be gunning for Apple this time around. To remain competitive in the market, Apple needs to release its new Santa Rosa notebooks ASAP.

13. Scorpius macrumors newbie

14. tristan macrumors 6502a

Nobody knows when the laptops will be updated. Its just speculation. The only really safe time to buy is within three months of an update.

15. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i completely agree. core 2 duo laptops started to appear around labor day, with macbook pros following almost two months after and macbooks two weeks after that. yet there are too many people here who are so sure new laptops will be out by wwdc in june or maybe even may, leading others to think so, too. if apple doesn't deliver by wwdc, there are going to be a lot of angry people on these forums. i'm all for hoping for the best, but i want to keep things as real as possible.

16. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

No Mobile Updates by WWDC June 11 SteveNote Would Only Surprise Me Not Make Me Angry

I wouldn't be angry at all. I would simply be surprised. :)

17. tristan macrumors 6502a

I would be furious. I would draw a picture of Steve Jobs and yell at it and stab it with scissors and then burn it. And then I'd sit around and wait for the next update so I can give Apple all my money.

Last time there was a lag between the PC Core 2 Duos and the Mac systems, but this time there may not be because hopefully Apple has more Intel integration experience and can reduce their time to market. But you never really know.

18. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

That was funny the first few hundred times it was posted :rolleyes:

19. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I have read many opinions in the weekly (or less) thread on this subject. The one that made the most sense to me was:

1) If any upgrades to the MB/MBP happen before August, it will probably be a minor speed jump, and/or 1GB standard RAM, ...

2.) Probable release of significance for the 'off-to-school' market. Apple may announce as early as 45-60 days out in order to keep the interest high, prior to them ramping up production.

I do not have an opinion, but this seems like pretty straight-forward logic to me.

20. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

21. tristan macrumors 6502a

I don't know, I think the dynamic is a little different now because Apple has to respond to the competition in the PC notebook market at least somewhat. I don't think they can just wait for back to school or whatever when other competitors are selling Santa Rosa laptops.

Also remember that Apple has a reputation for leading the market on technology - CD burning, Superdrive, Wireless, bluetooth, etc. They give up that reputation if they start lagging the PC market.

That's why I think that Apple will eventually have a policy of at least announcing new Intel-related technologies at just about the same time their competitors do or shortly after. I don't know if this will be the case for Santa Rosa laptops - Apple is still learning how to engineer PCs I think - but I like to think that it will be.

22. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

Tell me what you think of this:

this is referring to the flash ram integrated into the Santa Rosa chipset.
    My worry is the flash ram technology won't have at least 5 years of testing before it's released. How will my new mbp act in 5 years when the flash ram slowly dies over time?

23. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

I do that now :D

24. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

What's wrong with the current generation displays?