Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
I'm trying to communicate wirelessly between my cable modem and my Power Mac. I have a new Airport Extreme Base Station with a patch cable plugged into the cable modem and my Power Mac has an Airport Extreme card (showing up in System Profiler) with wireless network not available. My base station is plugged into the wall and there's no left light to indicate that it's sending out a wireless signal. My Power Mac is about 6 feet away. I had a network cable plugged in directly but I'm setting up this wireless network in preparation for a new PowerBook :p

How do I get the base station to talk to my Power Mac :confused:

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
Cooknn said:
I'm trying to communicate wirelessly between my cable modem and my Power Mac. I have a new Airport Extreme Base Station with a patch cable plugged into the cable modem and my Power Mac has an Airport Extreme card (showing up in System Profiler) with wireless network not available. My base station is plugged into the wall and there's no left light to indicate that it's sending out a wireless signal. My Power Mac is about 6 feet away. I had a network cable plugged in directly but I'm setting up this wireless network in preparation for a new PowerBook :p

How do I get the base station to talk to my Power Mac :confused:

Did you unplug the cable that was (or is) in the Power mac?

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
reberto said:
Did you unplug the cable that was (or is) in the Power mac?
Yes. For now - so I can connect - it's plugged in. Makes no difference though. My box isn't seeing the base station :(

JupiterTwo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2003
GB
Have you turned on any security settings on the base station - mac address filtering, WEP/WPA, closed network etc? if so it might be worth turning these off temporarily?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.