No live broadcast of keynote!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Zaty, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Awwww I was afraid that would happen. They didn't broadcast the WWDC either. :(

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I think what's going on is money: 1. Webcasts cost money, and 2. They want people to pay to attend the conference.

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I really hope that this means that something awesome or special will be announced, and for some reason, said thing will be not be able to be videocast. Too bad tho - I was really looking forward to watching it. :)

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

What about all of us people for whom it would cost large amounts of money to attend the conference? Screw you apple. :rolleyes:

5. Zaty thread starter macrumors 65816

Sure, but I don't think the cost of the webcast is the main reason. I have a feeling it has something to do with recent stories.

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Will it kill you to wait 2 hours after the thing is over to watch it? There's got to be some premium for those who are ponying up big bucks to see it in person. Anyway, you know there'll be someone posting live updates on the web so you can follow along, and you'll get to buy the products announced just like everyone else.

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I wouldn't be too shocked, if you really want to "see" it then you still have a couple of options

1) go see it
    2) they will post the video afterwards, they always do, live is expensive tho

Instead just watch macrumors for updates or go on IRC.

8. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Well what's the point anyways? Is it just me but when the video for WWDC came out it was tiny as heck and its quality lacked badly so much so that I couldn't get through the video. I didn't see an option for a higher quality feed. :(

9. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

yeah, give the competition a few days extra to wait for a vid. i bet anyone caught taping it will be accosted by apple legal goons and thrown into the bay.

10. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

That really does suck... I want my dose of RDF!!! :(

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Used to be that Apple gave their dealers the coordinates to the satellite for the broadcasts.

12. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

One of hour local TV stations was planning a live viewing party of it at the station, and I got a spot to go, had to put in a notice to work that I won't be there. Does this mean that it will be off?

13. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

but will apple still put the keynote up on its website afterwards so we can all view it after the fact? i don't mind that :eek:

14. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

yeah I remember but there were several problems,

either they became more secretive with this information and apple stores will still have events ( I doubt they will)

the problem caused by the events is that its impossible to increase sales by that much from this because they don't have the stock on hand. Like if they release headless imacs that ship in 2 weeks, nobody will want to fork up the cash that day ... they might as well go home and make a longer decision and yes at $500 it would be an impulse purchase for some ...

15. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I have no problems with this solution either. :)

16. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

I doubt that is a real cause of this .. access to the keynote isn't that expensive .. and full is full [ never seen a keynote with empty seats ] ..

We'll see on monday .. panic about this gets seeded every time ..

17. mactropy macrumors member

mactropy

I usually can't watch the live broadcast anyways (work?!). so I like to watch it at my own leisure sometime later.
    And with a (hopefully) good coverage from macrumors, we'll be updated on all the things that are not being released (G5 Powerbook, for example, I can't stand the questions anymore). :rolleyes:

18. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Oh well, as long as I can watch it later in the day. It was going to be hard to find a way to tune in while at work, anyway. :rolleyes:

I guess the MR servers will be slammed with n00bs, rendering it nigh on impossible to keep up with the announcements as they occur. :(

19. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm disappointed that they apparently won't at least be showing it at the Apple Stores. It was fun to go and watch with a crowd....

20. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Does anyone know the coodinates of the satellite? Im a big sat head and have a few FTA dishes sitting around that i would like to hook up to catch the feed if its even available..

Hell.. if i had that i could even run a live stream over the web....

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The coordinates were a very private thing with Apple back in the early '90s. I would think more so now.

22. hob macrumors 68020

hob

hmmm...

whilst this does suck it doesn't suck THAT bad... I'd usually be forced to watch after anyway, what with my broadband sucking arse and all!

it just surprises me. I always felt proud when Schiller would come on and say something like "yeah, and a big shout out to the x,000,000's of people watching online right now...!"

Hob

23. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

They did that last year, seemed pretty proud of it. I for one believe that it will be live, despite this unfounded rumor.

24. devman macrumors 65816

devman

You've been right before and I hope you're right again this time. Here's another little piece of information that seems to support the no live broadcast rumor.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1197793#post1197793

This doesn't mean it definitely won't be live - that is not explicitly said.