Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
20" iMac G5 2.0 GHz, 512 MB RAM, SuperDrive, 128 MB Video RAM, 260 GB, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth
Mac OS X 10.4.4.

Just recently, a week or two after updating to 10.4.4, my Login Window has stopped appearing after waking from sleep or after Sceen Saver. The computer just wakes up to the Desktop. The screen takes a few seconds to turn on the brightness, too. First it's black, then dim, then it's bright....

What's going wrong?

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
I don't know about the login thing, I'm the only user on my computer so I don't have to use that. However, my iBook screen also starts dim after waking up and then gets up to the right brightness. It only takes a few seconds, and this is normal.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
There shouldn't be a traditional login screen when waking from sleep or screensaver. Unless you mean a password protected login screen and not the traditional login screen. In that case, check your setting and make sure you're still set up to require a password to wake from sleep/screensaver.

In Tiger: System Preferences -> Security

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
yellow said:
There shouldn't be a traditional login screen when waking from sleep or screensaver. Unless you mean a password protected login screen and not the traditional login screen. In that case, check your setting and make sure you're still set up to require a password to wake from sleep/screensaver.

In Tiger: System Preferences -> Security

Yes, I meant the password box. I've already checked that setting. I've tried putting it to sleep with it off, and then setting it and trying again. I've tried almost everything.

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
calebjohnston said:
I don't know about the login thing, I'm the only user on my computer so I don't have to use that. However, my iBook screen also starts dim after waking up and then gets up to the right brightness. It only takes a few seconds, and this is normal.

Yes, but it didn't used to do this. It didn't do this before with the window. It wasn't as noticeable at least because the screen starts out black.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.