No loosening the arctic grip

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Jan 15, 2004.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

"But like millions of bone-chilled New Englanders suffering through the worst cold spell in recent memory -- with the lowest temperatures still to come -- there was no escaping the deep freeze."

Weather tonight is expected to break decade old records. Today's high of 7 degrees, with a whind chill of -13 degrees. WCVB "Tonight: partly cloudy and windy and frigid. Lows near the all time January record of 12 below. Northwest winds 20 to 30 mph with a few gusts to around 45 mph late at night. Wind chill values as low as 40 below.
    Friday: partly cloudy, very windy and frigid. Highs around 10 above. Northwest winds 25 to 35 mph. Wind chill values as low as 40 below in the morning."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2004/01/15/no_loosening_the_arctic_grip/

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Ahhh that's what we call brisk up here! ;) -13 Farenheit is -25 Celcius. It was -20 Celcius this morning with out the wind chill. They are predicting that tonight the wind chill factor will bring Toronto's temp to -32 Celcius ( -25.6 Farenheit). And tonight is the night I work out and face a cold 10 minute walk to the subway as my sweat freezes :eek:

I shouldn't complain were not the worst off even when you exclude the northern territories! At any rate this weather is perfect for cuddling up to a loved one and staying inside!

3. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    the weather station in my backyard says 69 F, 2 mph wind WSW, 2 clouds visible from my office window...

i couldn't imagine getting into the sub-freezing temps... let alone sub-zero's with wind chill.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Stay warm and be safe!

I've been in -26 degrees F and I'd rather not repeat that. Frostbite is hell.

Hopefully, everyone will be smart and stay inside as much as possible, hospital workers aside.

5. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Be careful Raid, according to our local meterologist, at that temperature exposed skin can freeze in 10 minutes. Just remember to cover all your skin and dress in layers.

You are quit correct, it is great weather to cuddle with a loved one. My wife and I plan on doing just that.

Looking ahead to approximatley nine months from now the labor and delivery departments should be quite busy at our local hospitals. Usually it's a storm, but I think that the cold will cause the same impact.

Local energy companies are asking for conservation, because of record demand. They said it will put a lot of stress on pipelines.

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Currently the wind chill here is at -7 Degrees...

Its...

Too...

Cold....

Damn you Canadian Air!

Tooo coolldd.

7. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Wow just thinking of that cold makes the mosquitoes that are biting me outside this evening not seem so bad. (While I wear shorts and a t-shirt. ;)) Y'all stay warm!

8. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Boston, Massachusetts 9pm EST 2100
    Currently: -1°F Clear

Currently: -18°C Clear

Wind: West at 21.0 MPH
    Humidity: 40.0%
    Dewpoint: -20°F
    Barometer: 29.69_ inches and falling
    Wind Chill: -24°F

Wind: West at 33 KPH
    Humidity: 40.0%
    Dewpoint: -28°C
    Barometer: 1006 millibars and falling
    Wind Chill: -31° C

9. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

heh, i just went to check the weather report for schenectady where i am currently at school, and the thing must be messed up because its reading 73 degrees F...(if you didn't know, schenectady is northwest of albany, and its actually about 5 to 10 below right now)

10. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Boston, Massachusetts
    Currently: -6°F Partly Cloudy
    Currently: -21°C
    Wind: West at 17.0 MPH
    Humidity: 48.0%
    Dewpoint: -21°F
    Barometer: 29.59_ inches and steady
    Wind Chill: -28°F
    Wind: West at 27 KPH
    Humidity: 48.0%
    Dewpoint: -29°C
    Barometer: 1002 millibars and steady
    Wind Chill: -33° C
    Sunrise: 7:10 AM EST
    Sunset: 4:37 PM EST

We officially broke the record from 1920, as predicted.

Normal High:
    36°

Normal Low:
    22°

Record High:
    64° in 1995

Record Low:
    -5° in 1920

Approximatley 300 schools have close in the area due to the cold. It's due to the safety of children. Exposed skin can freeze in 10 minutes.
    _

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Damn, that's cold - haven't been in that cold since I was in Alaska in January of 98....

Coldest for me, though, has to have been -40 or so, up in Greenland.

Stay warm :D

Its a balmy 15 here in DC.

D

12. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    "Wind chill advisory for this morning.
    Today. Mostly sunny and blustery. With areas of blowing snow. Highs around 18. Northwest winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts to around 35 mph. Wind chill values as low as 20 below this morning.
    " :eek:

there's actually ice freezing on the inside of my windows here in NYC, and my heating hasn't worked all winter. fortunately i do have a few electric heaters though, although i have to be careful not to blow any fuses by turning the kettle on at the same time!

well, i gotta go out and brave the weather so i can get to Apple SoHo and pick up iLife '04 :D:D

13. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Yes indeed. :D

*High Fives Fellow Louisianian*

14. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Suffolk County

Wind chill advisory this afternoon.
    This Afternoon: partly sunny. Windy at times and bitterly cold. Highs 7 to 12 above. Northwest winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts around 40 mph. Wind chill values as low as 20 below.
    Tonight: mostly clear and very windy at times. Lows 5 to 10 above. Northwest winds 25 to 35 mph at times.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/2769746/detail.htmlhttp://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/2769746/detail.html

Atop New Hampshire's Mount Washington weather observatory, the mercury bottomed out at 45 below overnight. The wind chill on the mountain dipped to minus-96 degrees Thursday.

Conditions as of Friday 2:34 p.m. est
    Outside_Air Temperature -11°F
    Windspeed 90 MPH
    15_Minute Gust Wind Direction 107 MPH 333° (NW)
    Wind Chill -47°F

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/weather/2769994/detail.html

It all reminds me of living in Nebraska. We had a winter when the temperature remained below 32 degrees. The worst was a two week period, when the high remained below 0 degrees.

15. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    So what do you all in the deep freeze do when it's that cold?
    stay home?

16. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Naw, we just bundle up and go to work. Even our schools are open, I'm not sure if the kids are kicked outside to play during recess (I bet they keep them in). The one problem is trying to open shelters for the homeless so they can stay worm. There's always this 2 or 3 day debate on if they should open emergency shelters before they cave and open them up... I wonder how many people that debate kills a year? :mad:

Also with the first few snow storms there's always a bunch of accidents until people smarten up and realize you shouldn't drive 100kph (60 mph) during a snow storm. We've been fairly lucky with the snow it's been fairly light without too much buildup.

17. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

me too!! luckily just in my kitchen, though, where the insulation is particularly bad. i've been leaving dishware on the windowsill so i can have beer in frosty glasses.

have you caught the local news in the past few days? NY1 has been running all sorts of segments along the lines of "Winter storm 2004! New Yorkers face the cold and snow, bravely getting on with their lives!"

winter storm? 5" of snow? judging by their sensationalism, you'd think the sun went out...

18. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

It was the same way in Nebraska. The schools were not closed due to cold weather. People knew how to dress properly. The people that live in the Plain states just like Canadians very hardy. Probably comes from that pioneering spirit.

19. big macrumors 65816

big

send some of that down here! I have not seen real snow in Alabama in probably 16 years...... In my house in WAAAAAY lower Alabama (the haunted one) Its nearly 40F at night, and the coldest is maybe 20-30.....

tell you what, I'll trade ya, you can have our humidity (near 110%) and heat for a few weeks of your winters....

man I wish it could work like that

20. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm sorry, but no thank you. I happen to like our winters, don't happen to be one of those that's complaining. What I totally dislike is heat and humidity.

That is why I could never live in the South.

We are having a heat wave today and tormorrow. Then Tuesday night it will be back to the Deep Freeze, but not as bad as yesterday. A predicted low T 8 degrees.

Boston, Massachusetts
    Currently: 32°F Partly Cloud
    0°C
    Wind: Northwest at 21.0 MPH
    Humidity: 29.0%
    Dewpoint: 3°F
    Barometer: 29.84_ inches and steady
    Wind Chill: 20°F
    Wind: Northwest at 33 KPH
    Humidity: 29.0%
    Dewpoint: -16°C
    Barometer: 1011 millibars and steady
    Wind Chill: -6° C

_

21. big macrumors 65816

big

the heat is actually bearable, ie Mexico, Texas, though the Humidity is what gets you...

I personally love the South, and all the lush vegitation. My Yard is still green, and I have ferns still sitting out... I should bring them in, though they make it just fine this year.

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Right, so. Thursday night, 11:30 PM, -3°F outside. The fire alarm goes off. Some stupid ****ers set the alarm off doing God knows what in their room. Everyone has to go outside in the ****ing freezing cold, even the people who were in the shower!Then the fire trucks take 5 minutes to get across the damn street. The worst part? We had classes the next day :mad:

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Are you sure we aren't dopplegangers or something?

24. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Could you define the word dopplegangers for me Counterfit?

25. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

you should just do a online search or pick up a dictionary....its basically a clone or copy of another person - but in some cases it can be seen as more of a monster - probably not used as such in this case.

D