Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Like or Dislike Southwest Airlines?

• LUV them

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • HATE them

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Don't live in US/never dealt with them

Votes: 25 35.7%

• Total voters

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
~Shard~ said:
They, like all airlines in the USA, don't know the meaning of customer service (I've flown multiple times on pretty much all of them), but apart from that, I think they run a really good outfit, better than many of their competitors.

I can't stand them. I'm very claustrophobic and got there late once. I explained to them that I really needed a window seat so I could look out. They flatly refused to accomodate me. As a result, I ended up sitting between two people and started turning green and hyperventilating after about 10 minutes. The woman next to me talked me down until we landed, but it was the most unpleasant thing I've ever been through. The a**holes from Southwest never once asked me if I was OK. They're a crap airline. And I'm not the kind of person to start yelling at servicepeople and throwing a fit. My answer is- I just don't go back.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
leekohler said:
I can't stand them. I'm very claustrophobic and got there late once. I explained to them that I really needed a window seat so I could look out. They flatly refused to accomodate me. As a result, I ended up sitting between two people and started turning green and hyperventilating after about 10 minutes. The woman next to me talked me down until we landed, but it was the most unpleasant thing I've ever been through. The a**holes from Southwest never once asked me if I was OK. They're a crap airline. And I'm not the kind of person to start yelling at servicepeople and throwing a fit. My answer is- I just don't go back.

Yikes, that's bad. Yeah, by saying they run a good outfit, I was referring more to their business model for a discount airlnie (which itself is somewhat suspect), but as I stated as well, customer service is non-existent.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
SWA does what it does very well. The only treatment I didn't care for was a couple of years ago when they refused to allow me to board an earlier flight without an upgrade to full fare. They'd always allowed me to do it before, if seats were available and I was willing to board last. The agents didn't even want to acknowledge that they'd changed the policy. So that flight took off with empty seats and I spent another hour cooling in the terminal. Who wins? :rolleyes:

Anyway, they're no worse than any other airline and better than many.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
I originally liked the concept of Southwest... until I flew them over and over between Albuquerque and Phoenix. I then understood what people were talking about... It's the cattle car airline. Unassigned seating leads people into a panic to: A) sit together B) Not sit in the freakin backwards seats... yes some of the planes have seats backwards facing another set of seats about 2 feet away from your seat. C) People are generally roaches that must be controlled thru price control... aka if you shop at the more expensive stores you avoid the "Walmart shopper"

/end rant

btw: work made me fly Southwest

Pittsax

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Being that I live in NYC, I don't get much opportunity to fly Southwest. From what I'm reading, I don't think I want to either...

I think I'll stick with JetBlue. I can't say enough about them.

(on an aside, I just hope JetBlue can come to my apartment and pick me up tomorrow, because I don't know how I'm going to get to the airport now thanks to the transit union :mad: )

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Their [Southwest's] record is the best of the best; 100% of all passengers have survived. (at least if one didn't - it wasn't Southwest's fault).

What more can you ask for?

BTW: Southwest is the 3rd largest airliner in the world, so to be that big, and still have 100% passenger survival rate (due to incidents) is incredible.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Are people willing to pay $300 for a one-way fare between Los Angeles and Phoenix for a stewardess wearing a short skirt and white gloves serving complementary drinks? Even those of us who are old enough to remember airline travel when that was the norm don't expect those days to come back.

Sure, SWA is a flying Greyhound bus -- but it's a pretty darned efficient flying Greyhound bus. I just miss the days when the flight attendants gave crack-up safety equipment lectures ("fasten the belt securely across your lips..."). I guess the FAA didn't see the humor.

skoker

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
hcuar said:
I originally liked the concept of Southwest... until I flew them over and over between Albuquerque and Phoenix. I then understood what people were talking about... It's the cattle car airline. Unassigned seating leads people into a panic to: A) sit together B) Not sit in the freakin backwards seats... yes some of the planes have seats backwards facing another set of seats about 2 feet away from your seat. C) People are generally roaches that must be controlled thru price control... aka if you shop at the more expensive stores you avoid the "Walmart shopper"

/end rant

btw: work made me fly Southwest

WN phased out the last rear-facing seats around 5 years ago. If you want to get a good seat, CHECK IN ONLINE! You'll almost always get an "A" boarding pass and everybody getting an "A" can get a window seat, as well as most of the "B"'s. I got a window seat as a "C" once, sitting with my two traveling companions MCO-BUF in the very last row, through a HUGE snowstorm. I'll never do that again.

Personally, if traveling with my family, I prefer the middle seat, which shocks a lot of people, but I've never sat in a aisle.

skoker

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
EricNau said:
Their [Southwest's] record is the best of the best; 100% of all passengers have survived. (at least if one didn't - it wasn't Southwest's fault).

What more can you ask for?

BTW: Southwest is the 3rd largest airliner in the world, so to be that big, and still have 100% passenger survival rate (due to incidents) is incredible.

Not exactly, there was one fatality on a flight to Vegas a few years back, some nutjob tried to take over the plane and was killed by his fellow passengers.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
~Shard~ said:
Yikes, that's bad. Yeah, by saying they run a good outfit, I was referring more to their business model for a discount airlnie (which itself is somewhat suspect), but as I stated as well, customer service is non-existent.

Exactly, and I'm sorry but I can fly American Airlines, United or any other similar airline for about $20 bucks more and I get to:

1. Choose my own seat beforehand.
2. Get to the gate a little later and not worry that I'll get a crappy seat.
3. Not put up with a singing crew.
4. Be treated with a measure of respect by the crew.
5. Not have my knees jammed into the seat in front of me (I'm 6'3" and their seats are made for people who are 5' tall, I swear).

Southwest blows bigtime. Proud to say I only flew them once.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
All of you who complain about bad service on SouthWest - I'd rather get to my destination safely, even if it means I don't get the best seat, compared to not getting to my destination at all! :eek:

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
skoker said:
Not exactly, there was one fatality on a flight to Vegas a few years back, some nutjob tried to take over the plane and was killed by his fellow passengers.
It wasn't SouthWest's fault though - They are 100%! :D

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
leekohler said:
Exactly, and I'm sorry but I can fly American Airlines, United or any other similar airline for about $20 bucks more and I get to:

1. Choose my own seat beforehand.
2. Get to the gate a little later and not worry that I'll get a crappy seat.
3. Not put up with a singing crew.
4. Be treated with a measure of respect by the crew.
5. Not have my knees jammed into the seat in front of me (I'm 6'3" and their seats are made for people who are 5' tall, I swear).

Southwest blows bigtime. Proud to say I only flew them once.

I'm with you. I can usually fly cheaper to LA or San Jose on one of the other guys anyway.

You know what I hate about Southwest? Everyone gets there 3 hours before the flight leaves just so they can get a seat. You can drive to some ofthese places you fly to quicker.

With the other guys, I know where I am sitting, I get to the airport an hout before my flight (or less) walk up to the gate and sit in my seat (3/4 back, left window always).

Not to say that Southwest's model is inefficient. I just don't like flying them.

The morning my dad died in August I called and asked for a bereavement fare. "We don't do those."

Nice.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
skoker said:
*screeches brakes*

Secondly, I'm proud to see that a few of you use WN to refer to Southwest. Makes me feel like a true airline dork :D

Haha...yeah, I am a total airline dork as well. My uncle worked for Raytheon and kinda dragged me into it. Do you go to airliners.net by any chance?

Oh, and I can't stand DL, either. I last flew them on a red eye from LAX to MCO on a 767, and it was quite possibly the worst flight I have ever been on. We only got drinks once (!) the entire flight. The rest of the time the FAs were just sitting around in the back. One of the reasons why I like UA so much is that they come around about a half hour prior to landing and give out water, and are constantly serving drinks throughout the whole flight (I've never flown WN for longer than a 2 hour flight so I don't know much about their long-haul drink service...)

skoker

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
MacFan25863 said:
Haha...yeah, I am a total airline dork as well. My uncle worked for Raytheon and kinda dragged me into it. Do you go to airliners.net by any chance?

Oh, and I can't stand DL, either. I last flew them on a red eye from LAX to MCO on a 767, and it was quite possibly the worst flight I have ever been on. We only got drinks once (!) the entire flight. The rest of the time the FAs were just sitting around in the back. One of the reasons why I like UA so much is that they come around about a half hour prior to landing and give out water, and are constantly serving drinks throughout the whole flight (I've never flown WN for longer than a 2 hour flight so I don't know much about their long-haul drink service...)

a.net is one of the best sites on the web, in my opinion. The only turnoff as of recently, though, is that stupid "snow" that keeps crashing Safari on me.

The longest WN flight I've been on was MCO-BUF on one of their 737-500's in April. The aircraft was late, coming in with a sports team from Manchester, and so they were really whipping people off of that plane so we could board. I had the bad luck of getting a "C" boarding pass that day as a large group traveling together had checked in online the night before. Once we got on the plane, we (with my 2 companions) had to all sit together, and the only available row was in the VERY back, LAST ROW. Great. After taking off, we hit a bunch of chop over the Carolinas as we were flying through a cold front. When we were about 15 minutes inbound to BUF, which is an EXCELLENT airport that I'm proud to call my home base, the capt. came on the PA system and told us that the airport had shut down due to zero visibility on the field. We began circling over downtown Buffalo, and then dropped down south a bit so (I swear) the center of our circle was my house, which I could barely make out under the fog. We landed over an hour and 15 late.

^Now to get to my main point of the drink service. We were first served drinks and those cute little bags of Ritz Sticks, which were very good, about 20 minutes off the ground. They came around with a full drink service (very impressive) about an hour inbound and passed out peanuts, and then did a water service for those who wanted it as we began to circle. They also did a barf bag service, as many people had 'lost' their drinks and snacks from the first service :D

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
EricNau said:
If you re-read my statements, you'll see I said passengers, that was a horrible thing that happened, but that kid was not a passenger. Southwest is still at 100% as passengers go.

Oh- so killing people outside the plane is OK? That makes no sense. "Hey guys, fly Southwest! We only kill people outside of our planes!". Sorry, doesn't make it in my book. A death was caused by their plane, period. And someone else mentioned people killing another passenger before. That illustrates a failure on their part to maintain control on their planes. Sorry- point is, no airline is 100% safe.

watcher2001

macrumors 6502a
leekohler said:
Oh- so killing people outside the plane is OK? That makes no sense. "Hey guys, fly Southwest! We only kill people outside of our planes!". Sorry, doesn't make it in my book. A death was caused by their plane, period. And someone else mentioned people killing another passenger before. That illustrates a failure on their part to maintain control on their planes. Sorry- point is, no airline is 100% safe.

True, nothing is 100% safe. however Southwest is one of the safer airlines overall.

You mentioned
leekohler said:
A death was caused by their plane, period.

I have trouble with this. After reading the story you linked to in the trib I see that the family is going to sue
Chicage Tribune said:
Attorneys for the family plan to file suit in Cook County Circuit Court seeking unspecified damages against the airline, the pilots and the City of Chicago, said family spokesman and lawyer Ron Stearney Jr. The lawsuit would allege negligence and wrongful death, and seek damages for pain and suffering, he said.
Also stating that
Chicage Tribune said:
The suit also names the city and Boeing as co-defendants.

Boeing, mind you is the manufacturer of the 737 used by Southwest. This to me is plain ***** stupid. What are they going to claim, that they should have given the 737 better ability to stop in the snow?? To me this is kind of like taking Smith and Wesson to court because someone got killed due to negligent handling of one of their guns.

Should the pilots be in trouble/fired/sued? Possibly, depends on what the NTSB accident team reports.

Should Southwest be sued? Once again, it all falls back to the NTSB. If they determine that there was an issue with the plane that Southwest should have taken care of, then yes.

Should the City be sued? Why, for allowing an airport to be too close to a road? Not in my opinion.

Should Boeing be sued? As I stated above to me this is just stupid.

To me it appears that the family is out to get as much money as they can from this tragic event.
Don't get me wrong, I do feel sorry for the family and I know they need someone to blame, but no amount of money can bring their son back. In this case it will be interesting to see what happens. This may have been just a freak accident.

Forgive me for my rant.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
skoker said:
a.net is one of the best sites on the web, in my opinion. The only turnoff as of recently, though, is that stupid "snow" that keeps crashing Safari on me.

Really? The snow isn't causing problems for me at all.

Do you go on their forums? I browse, but I still haven't signed up (I know I know...but I still don't feel the need to pay $25 to participate in a forum!)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
leekohler said:
If you re-read my statements, you'll see that I said that was a horrible thing that happened. Don't get me wrong, a innocent 6 year-old boy was killed, that's terrible. But this thread is about flying on a plane, and as for flying on Southwest, it is 100%, so far.

You say no airline is 100% safe, this is absolutely true, but currently, Southwest does have 100% flying record in terms of fatalities of passengers due to an incident caused by SouthWest. All arguments against Southwest have been STUPID. If I were to compare this to buying/renting a car, you all are saying that you'd choose the car with the most comfortable seats, not the safest. It doesn't make any sense people!

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
EricNau said:
You say no airline is 100% safe, this is absolutely true, but currently, Southwest does have 100% flying record in terms of fatalities of passengers due to an incident caused by SouthWest. All arguments against Southwest have been STUPID. If I were to compare this to buying/renting a car, you all are saying that you'd choose the car with the most comfortable seats, not the safest. It doesn't make any sense people!

Uhh- all arguements against Southwest are stupid? Excuse me BUT- read my arguements against them. They were hardly stupid. And if you're comparing that to buying a car, my arguements hold up nicely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.